Of Cotillion and Elimination

In our Next Life

People always wondered if there really is a specific destiny set for them, if their choices really do make a difference, people would wonder. People would wonder if the Fates are real.

The Fates, in Greek mythology, are three goddesses who control the fate of men. Each mortal’s fate was bound to a single thread. These threads of fates are what the Fates use to weave a tapestry, and with each entangled thread, two mortal’s fate would cross.

Taecyon:

We gathered around Wooyoung to have the final briefing before we officially start the program.

“So who would explain the game?” Jiyeon asked as she scanned for volunteering faces but sighed disappointedly as everyone tried to avoid her gaze.

“How about our Genius, he was the one who thought about it?” Suzy suggested, smirking at Wooyoung’s direction, she seriously has a thing about making Wooyoung feel bad. “Well, you’re the one who came up with it so I guess no one would be better in explaining other than you are” she added and everyone of us nodded in agreement.

“Besides, you are the most shameless among us” JB commented, which earned a deadly glare from Wooyoung and amused laugh from us. It really is nice teasing Wooyoung, knowing that he never holds grudges.

“Thank you JB for that encouraging statement, it is so encouraging that I might want to cut your tongue out” Wooyoung hissed which made us laugh even louder.

“Yah, your angry act is an Epic Fail, try again next time” Suzy teased as she stuck her tongue out and before Wooyoung say something back, I pulled him towards the podium and whispered “Better get started before getting your image down the drain.” He glared at me but I was unfazed by it, glaring Wooyoung is never scary, nope, never, unless you see it in the dark though.

He looked at the crowd nervously, and then he became tad serious. “Good Morning everyone, this is Jang Wooyoung here wishing you a Merry Christmas. To make this program special, we came up with a game to warm your hearts, it’s called Paper Cotillion” he announced, and I mentally facepalmed myself, Paper Cotillion sounded ‘weird’. “I called it Paper Cotillion we will be dancing cotillion and playing paper dance at the same time. Every round, you would have a different partner, and every round the paper would be getting narrower and narrower, the rule is, your feet shouldn’t touch the floor when the music stops, so it’s all to you guys to think of a strategy to stay on the game. We will stop when there are only three couple left, and what happens next, I will reveal it after the game. So everyone choose your initial partners so that we could start.” And that’s my cue, I walked towards Suzy and was about to ask her when Wooyoung’s voice stopped me. “Not so fast for you, since you made fun of me earlier, I won’t just give you the satisfaction” he said and we looked at him confusingly. “Suzy and JB, Jiyeon and Taecyon and, IU and me will be initial partners. And here’s the catch guys, you may not get the chance to dance with each other because some accidents may happen leading to your elimination” and he laughed creepily and I take back my statement a while ago, Wooyoung can be scary, and that is when he is smiling or laughing.

We position ourselves in a big circle, with Suzy and JB at my right, one thing that Wooyoung never realized is that JB and Jiyeon would be partners at the first exchange which is rather stupid of him or was it intentional, is this revenge thing just directed at me and Suzy? I grimaced at the sudden realization, now I don’t think I could get a dance with Suzy ever since I’m 25 couples away from her although she’s practically beside me.

The music started and so is the game, we started to move with the rhythm, mind focused only on the music, I took a glance at Suzy who seemed to be having a hard time since she’s not much of a dancer and I grinned at the sight, she’s really adorable with that serious face on. I snapped from my thoughts when I heard the music stopped, we all hurriedly stepped on the newspaper laid on the floor, and since the newspaper is still unfolded, no one got eliminated. The music started again, and we exchanged partners, now Suzy is literally a couple away from me and 24 couples away from being my partner and it’s a pretty long way to go considering the fact that the newspaper is folded everytime the music stops. Now I regret provoking Wooyoung earlier.

Suzy:

15 rounds have passed and 15 couples were already eliminated. I am only 5 couples away from Taecyon now, but I’m barely making it, the newspaper gets narrower and narrower everytime and I was stepping at my partner’s foot just to avoid getting eliminated. I don’t know why I’m so desperate to reach the end, why I’m so desperate of being in Taecyon’s hands, I would never know. The music stopped again and I hurriedly stepped on my partner’s foot while giving him the most apologetic look that I could muster but then I just had to lose my balance, well it was kind of expected, since I was on a ballet position on my partner’s swelling feet, I literally saw him sigh in relief, which made me guilty all over. “I’m really sorry” I exclaimed which caught him by surprise but eventually gave me a re-assuring smile.

“Six couples out” the spectator cried out. “One more and were off for the next round”

Taecyon:

Disappointment rushed through my brain as I saw Suzy getting eliminated and retreating to the audience seats. Now what’s the point in playing this stupid game?

“You’re one step away Taecyon, you can do it, fighting” Suzy cheered in the crowd. Yeah right, as if it mattered anyway. I blankly moved with the music when it started playing, I can sense my partner glaring at me since she probably noticed my uninterested look and I just looked apologetically at her, her glare never left me though. When the music stopped, I aimlessly stepped into the narrow newspaper and when I thought I was going to be eliminated, my partner hopped on my back which saved us from elimination.

“And we have our top 3 couple for today, let’s cheer for Wooyoung and IU, JB and Jiyeon, and Taecyon and Eunjung.” I looked at my partner in disbelief, didn’t she realize that I don’t want to be in this competition anymore then she looked at me, her eyes gleaming with happiness and I was stunned at the moment.

Suzy:

I cheered at Taecyon for making it to the Top 3, but somehow the cheer sounded forced. There was a tug in my chest as I watched Taecyon  piggybacked Eunjung, my chest clenched when I saw them staring at each other, Eunjung smiling widely while Taecyon just stared at her. I don’t know why, but it really pains my heart seeing Taecyon interact with another girl aside from their gang. I hated the fact that they are labeled as couples. I...Oh my God, what am I thinking right now? I looked at Taecyon again, and this time he is looking at me, not at Eunjung but at me, I smiled widely at this thought and I made my way to him, I was about to say something, but then again someone by the name of Jang Wooyoung interrupted me.

“Uh-uh, you shouldn’t do that because you are not the couple right now” we both glared at him and he just laughed. “Oh my God, I can’t freaking wait to see your reaction when I announce the game for the second round” he smirked, and totally ignoring our glares.

“Now what is that idiot up to?” I asked and Taecyon just shrugged.

 

_________________________________

A/N: so I just basically introduced Eunjung but her proper introduction be in the later chapters I suppose, so dont expect anything yet..

Thanks for reading my messed up story..comments are greatly appreciated <3 <3 <3