You make me feel better

The Boy in the Orange Room

Donghae was in a y mood. He had woken up with a headache. Not the kind of headache normal humans get. The kind only he knew, brutal, infinite with a tint of heartache. Not enough to make you puke but enough to make you want to rip your heart out. It was all because he hadn't finished properly yesterday.

Speaking of which... he wondered for a moment just where that person was this morning. He couldn't be far from here. He stared out the window, spacing out. Someone put something on his desk but he didn't look, expecting it was one of his friends.

"I can see the fume coming out of your ears."

Someone said. Donghae looked aroung, he didn't feel like being teased today. However, when he stared into Hyukjae's eyes something strange happened. His headache suddenly disappeared and he felt oddly irritated.

"What are you doing here?"

He couldn't believe someone was stalking him. Even less someone like Hyukjae. THE Lee Hyukjae everyone was so fond of and gossiped all year round about.

"Just came to give you this."

He handed him a pamphlet. Donghae looked at it briefly. It was for a club invitation.

''We need a secretary. Someone like you would fit perfectly.''

'Someone like you'? Donghae set the invitation on his desk.

''I'll think about it.''

''Um... about that, our last secretary pretty much ditched us so... we would kind of need you right now.''

Donghae stared at the window briefly and then he understood.

''Was it the girl that confessed to you yesterday?''

Hyukjae frowned.

''You saw?''

''Everyone did.''

Hyukjae raked his hair with his hand nervously. Donghae loved how that hair glistened in the sunlight.

''That's pretty embarrassing.''

''I don't know you find that particularly embarrassing; everyone knows about you.''

Donghae looked around the classroom. Everyone was staring at them.

''Err... well anyways I would appreciate a quick answer.''

''I'll still have to think about it.''

And for some unknown reason Donghae smiled at him. He heard the boy catch his breath.

''I... Can you give me your number? It will go faster that way.''

''I don't have one.''

Hyukjae's mouth nearly dropped open.

''Don't worry, I'll find you quickly enough.''

Hyukjae nodded. The way Donghae spoke made everything seem so easy. He was about to tell him where to find him but the teacher walked in and then he realized he was late for class. Donghae chuckled once when Hyukjae tripped over someone's bag but still managed to recover in a very impressive way. Everyone in the class laughed at him.

''What does Lee Hyukjae want with you?''

The girl next to him, who was also his friend, asked.

''He wants me to be the secretary of his music band.''

''You? He's asked you? Of all people? That's great.''

There was no sarcasm in her voice. Besides, he generally chose good-natured friends. Not people who only asked for his notes or copied off him during exams. Strangely, no one who ever copied off him ever got caught.

He stared at the invitation. He didn't want to be part of a club. He couldn't even afford to take the risk of being in one.

He winced as the headache suddenly slammed into him again. The teacher called him and asked if he was ok. He was known as the 'sickaboy' around school. He had a few other nicknames but they weren't particularly catchy....

''I'm fine sir. Just a headache.''

Headache was too small of a word to describe it. He didn't take notes, he didn't open his eyes during the whole class. He sat straight, making sure the teacher was aware that he wasn't sleeping. He answered whenever he wa scalled out, but his eyes remained shut. He asked to be excused at some point though, because he really did believe he was going to be sick. He ran to the bathroom and puked.

''What's all this...''

He told himself. He wondered briefly why he blamed Hyukjae for making him even sicker. Did he find him that unattractive? No. It wasn't the case. He actually thought he was beautiful. Like a ray of sunlight. Donghae sighed and realized he'd stained his shirt with puke. He sighed and took off his shirt, leaving only his undershirt under it. He thought carefully then. Maybe he should let it out now... It would be painful, but at least he was in the right place if he ever needed to puke again.

So he did. He let it out... and out it came.

Donghae didn't shut his eyes this time. He watched as his veins started popping out of his body under the tension. How the light slowly started pouring out of his fingertips, each drop bringing excruciating pain to his body.

He puked again once and then it was all over. He wiped his mouth and then walked out of the stall just as other boys walked in. They went quiet when they saw him. Donghae shrugged at them and just washed off and then left.

He had the feeling in the back of his head that he was forgetting something. He was at the bus stop when he realized what it was. He ran back to school and even though he'd spoken so assuredly about finding him before, he'd forgotten he'd be empty of 'it' by then. Still, he had his instinct left. His awesome power of deduction. He found him in one of the rooms reserved for club meetings. He was alone with another boy, sitting around a tea table, a pile of paper almost hiding him.

''What happened?''

He asked getting up.

''Nothing. I just ran.''

''You ran all the way here?''

Donghae shrugged. He wasn't so concerned about his health then. He was just wondering why he felt better again now that he was staring at Hyukjae in the eyes.

''You came to give your answer?''

''Actually I don't know if I can. I'm usually very busy after school. Plus I get sick a lot.''

''You're going to get sick if you don't wear your unifom properly too.''

Hyukjae said, staring at the exposed collarbones that stood out from under his coat.

''I don't catch colds.''

''You don't? You're lucky. So you really can't do it?''

Donghae frowned. He was not entirely paying attention to what Hyukjae was saying. He was bothered by the fact that he was feeling better and better. Why was he doing better here, at school? Public places made him sick. It was harder to contain 'it' when he was around people. This wasn't right. Something was wrong.

''Uh. Do people usually tell you that you make them feel better?''

''Excuse me?''

''Hyukjae who's this?''

Donghae scowled at whoever was interrupting them.

''Just someone I think would do well as our new secretary.''

''Oh.''

He returned to his papers and left them alone.

''Um... no I've never heard that before.''

''Then why do you make me feel like this?''

''I don't understand.''

Hyukjae said, confused.

''Never mind. I'll figure it out. I'll take the position.''

---------------------

I'm a wreck right now. But it's a good sort of feeling. Anyways, I know that you guys are really curious about what's actually going on with Donghae, but just know that it's more symbolic than it seems.... I don't exactly know where I'm going with it... but it's there. So yeah... more to come! I hope you like it! I love you all! Take care and do your homework! lol.