In the infirmary

The Boy in the Orange Room

The snow was starting to melt. Donghae didn't know if it was because of the warm sun outside or because of the heat he could feel radiating from his body. Donghae was covered in sweat... and he had no idea why. There was no clear explanation behind it except that it felt physical and psychological at the same time. It was painful, making every vein in his body swell and making him even paler than usual. Everybody was whispering in the classroom, as if they were afraid to upset him with their useless noise.

Donghae felt someone tap on his shoulder. He turned around and saw that it was that female friend of his that a lot people referred to as cute. Donghae found she lacked something. An honest smile like Hyukjae's... he avoided dwelling on it though.

"You don't look well at all."

She said. She looked worried. Donghae half-appreciated that... he could hardly think straight at the moment.

"Yeah, well I don't feel well at all."

He sat back down at his desk and covered his face with both of his hands. The girl laid a timid hand on his shoulder, but he shied away from it, feeling like someone had just pressed some more heat into his body.

"Go to the infirmary. The teacher won't complain considering your situation."

Donghae chuckled once. Of all the days... why did it have to be today? It wasn't the first time something like this happened, but Donghae always thought every time that it would be the last time. He got up painfully from his desk and, grabbing his bag, made his way down the hall and down a flight of stairs. The hallways were deserted, everyone was at their appropriate places. Everyone except Donghae.

"Are you happy now?"

He asked Heechul. Of course there was no answer. He sighed and remained quiet for the rest of the walk. When he walked into the infirmary, it was deserted. So he just went ahead and lied on a bed. He fell asleep almost instantly.

When Donghae woke up, he knew something was wrong. Not a wrong that anyone else but him would notice (hopefully), but he remembered this feeling : the feeling of not being himself. He felt himself sit up and rub his forehead. Then his head turned to the right and then to the left. A familiar silhouette was standing next to the window. Donghae's heart skipped a beat. But he wasn't sure that was totally him...

"What are you doing here?"

He heard himself say. Hyukjae turned to face him and smiled, the worry fading from his face.

"I heard you'd gone to the infirmary. Plus you've been avoiding me all day. Are yo uall right? Is there someone you want me to call."

Donghae wanted to say he was feeling better, that he didn't need to call anyone but some other word came out of his mouth.

"Hyukjae..."

It sounded like a carress, like he was calling him in the most intimate way possible. Hyukjae noticed it. But he pretented not to notice.

"Hm?"

He asked innocently.

"Why do you take such good care of me when you hardly ever noticed Heechul."

Donghae's body cringed even though he wasn't in full control of it. He managed to move a hand, but even Hyukjae didn't notice the tiny movement. Donghae  was starting to panick. He'd never found himself in this sort of situation before. Not that he didn't want to know the answer to that particular question.

"Well... you are different, I guess? Desides, one hardly chooses those things."

What things? Donghae briefly wondered. He watched Hyukjae walk closer to the bed and sit on it. He wasn't far enough. Heechul could easily reach him from where he was sitting and Hyukjae was too dumb to notice. Donghae tried to move his own body back, but Heechul was being really stubborn. He wanted this moment no matter what.

Hyukjae sighed.

"I just don't want you to be unwell. I don't know why. But ever since you told me that being with me made you feel better... I've wanted to make you feel better."

Donghae heard himself chuckle... but it wasn't a happy chuckle. It was a sinister one. Before Hyukjae could realise it though, Donghae's arms were around his shoulders, pulling him towards him. Donghae wondered briefly what his own body was up to but when he caught up to Heechul's train of though he felt himself jold inwardly, but there was nothing he could do.

Donghae pressed his lips to Hyukjae's, rendering his surprised noise to silence.

Oh no.

Donghae couldn't stop himself. As a matter of fact there was even less he could do now since Heechul wasn't even letting him think properly. But that might've been because of the kiss, no matter how light it was. However, when Hyukjae pulled back to inhale a small puff of air and slowly, tenderly, press his lips to his again... regaining control seemed totally ridiculous.

Donghae didn't know why he was starting to feel so upset and yet so thrilled at the same time but Heechul wasn't paying attention to him. He tried deepening the kiss by sloppily running his tongue against Hyukjae's upper lip. Donghae was surprised by the way they seemed to mold perfectly against his. Also, he couldn't get over just why none of them were finding this repulsive. He heard Hyukjae mmble something against his lips but Heechul ignored it.

Hyukjae responded very favorably to that move and slid his tongue inside Donghae's mouth.

For a first kiss... Donghae felt pretty satisfied.

When they finally pulled away from each other, Donghae felt himself slip away. Heechul was running out of time and so, Donghae fainted.

--------------

When he woke up he felt empty. Emptier than he'd ever been before. He was shivering cold and his shirt had disappeared. He rubbed his eyes, confused. Where was he? Why did his lips feel like they were on fire and why was Hyukjae there, staring at him with that strange expression.

"Oh good you're finally awake! I was so worried! Um... it's a bit late, do you want me to take you home?"

What he was saying wasn't making any sense. Weren't they supposed to have dinner together? Had he changed his mind?

"Uh... no. I feel much better thank you."

"Are you sure? You did faint..."

"I did?"

Hyukjae nodded and then Donghae's eyes traveled down to his lips. He noticed just how red they were and unsually swollen. It all came back to him then, the kiss, the hands, Heechul... He grimaced and ran his hands through his hair. How could he let something like that happen?

"Ah."

He said. It was the only thing he felt like saying.

"Look... if you're feeling uncomfortable... we can just forget about it."

Just forget about it? Donghae looked up. Whatever expression was on his face made Hyukjae's eyes grow wider and made him walk all over to the bed again.

"I mean dinner! And meeting your cousin... I don't want you to be uncomfortable in any way."

Oh. So that's what he meant.

"I'm fine now."

Donghae said as seriously as he could. He was. Just a bit cold. Hyukjae wasn't convinced.

"Come on. I want to have dinner with you."

Donghae felt an extreme urge to spend as much time with him as he could. Maybe because Heechul had suddenly disappeared. Maybe it was because Donghae was being affected by Hyukjae's kiss... either way he didn't care. He felt oddly excited.... and he hadn't felt like that in years. His heartbeat was picking up and he didn't bother to calm it or wonder why it was acting up like that.

-------------------

I know it's a bit short... I'll make it up to you. I promised myself I'd finish this chapter by tonight else I'd have it on my mind for an unknown length of time....

THEY KISSED!

There's always this tingling in my fingers whenever I write out a scene like this. Yes it's kinda dark... but it's still great no? Well I hope you liked it.

The story I'm following updated yesterday... and even though it took a favorable turn I wasn't sastisfied. Maybe I'm getting too greedy who knows. In any case it left me frustrated. When I'm frustrated I want to surpass myself. I don't know if I succeed at it but well... there you have it. At least it gives you updates!

Saranghae!

Author-nim