A regular human being

The Boy in the Orange Room

Donghae couldn't tell between his past and present. Everything was pretty much the same. He went to school, was ignored by everyone except Siwon and Hyukjae. Heechul was gone, leaving that emptiness within him... and even though Hyukjae was always there for him, there was always some distance between them. They hadn't been alone since that day. It had already been three weeks and Donghae was now totally functionning... according to the hospital.

But his heart was with someone else.

''Say Donghae, why doesn'y Hyukjae come to see you anymore.''

''He's busy.''

''Doing what?''

'Being himself'? Doing weird things? Protecting people? How could he know?

''I don't know. It's none of my business.''

Would it have been better if Heechul had never left? Donghae was starting to think so.

He sighed.

What on earth was he thinking?! Of course not. Heechul was better off dead and gone. So were they...

Class was over and Donghae once again didn't know what to do with the time he had left on his hands. Usually he would have to empty and then run to the club. But since Hyukjae wasn't showing up there anymore... he didn't know what to do with himself. He tried to convince Leeteuk to give him more work but that didn't turn out too well.

''I'm not going to give you an excuse to escape the normal world of a student. Make some friends, have fun, be irresponsible, make me worry.''

Donghae chuckled to himself upon recalling those words Leeteuk had told him.

''Oh there you are.''

Donghae vaguely heard Siwon's voice call him as he was on his way back to the locker rooms. Donghae looked back, curious.

''I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that would make it in the club until graduation.''

Donghae shook his head apologetically.

''I'm sorry.... I've been... busy. Doing.... nothing.''

Siwon laughed.

''You seem to be doing a lot better though. I've heard from Hyukjae that your sickness is cured.''

''Yes. Some sort of miracle I guess you could say.''

Siwon nodded understandably and grabbed Donghae's hand enthusiastically.

''Come on, let's have some fun. I can't really do all the work on my own. And it's just not the same without you. Hyukjae is always whining.''

''I thought he hadn't been coming.''

Siwon ignored the fact that Donghae wasn't supposed to have noticed.

''He showed up the first two days of each week. But he's been busy with work it seems. At least that's what he's told me.''

Donghae let himself be dragged into the club room. Hyukjae wasn't there.... almost to his relief. He wasn't sure how he'd react if it had been the case. Siwon sat down on his usual side of the coffee table and busily got himself to start reading those notes.

Donghae wasn't sure what to do. For one, every single noise coming out of the room was nerve wrecking to him. He couldn't think of anything else. Donghae only had his senses to rely upon now. This was something he had had to get accustomed too. In hosting Heechul's body, he had gainned some of Heechul's powers. But now that he was gone... he had to get used to being just what he was.... a regular human being.

Also, Donghae wasn't as cold anymore. He realized he actually disliked the habits some of his teachers and fellow students had. He also wouldn't allow his classmates to abuse of his attentiveness in class, wouldn't let anyone copy on him during tests since it bothered him that he was helping people being irresponsible. It was like his conscience had suddenly awoken from a deep sleep. Not that he had been a horrible person; Donghae remained who he was at the core, but now he felt like he could finally have a say in what was happening to him. That power was bewildering... and scary.

Donghae had never felt the need to be this close to someone before. Unfortunately, that person was also the one who had disappeared.

''You should start talking, it's too quiet.''

''Oh um... I don't particularly like my job here.''

Donghae suddenly said clumsily. Siwon laughed.

''Hyukjae really did force you to be here uh?"

"No.... I can't say that what you said is true. In my own way I chose to be here. You see.... Hyukjae has this... way of make me feel better. Or had....''

''Did you two have a fight?"

Siwon suddenly asked.

"Not really... more like... some things happened that can't be undone and it has set us a part. I don't think it can be fixed."

"What do you mean?"

Siwon said, looking up and fully concentrating on the conversation.

"I mean... I don't know what I mean."

Siwon tapped the table with his fingers thoughtfully.

"Are you saying that now that you know that Hyukjae is not human, you don't want anything to do with him?"

Donghae's mouh dropped open and it took him some time to figure out that it wasn't impoosible that Siwon was aware of Hyukjae's situation, that he had every right since he was a long time friend. Also, the question was so repulsive that Donghae grimaced when he answered.

"No. What he is doesn't affect me. But it seems to affect our relationship in some way. He's disappeared. He hasn't even contacted me."

"Have you tried contacting him?"http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/edit_chapter/393654/16

Donghae was shocked to realize that he hadn't. Yes he'd waited anxiously every night for a text, a call, anything, but he'd never taken the initiative to message him. Maybe he was scared after all. Sacred of what Hyukjae was and what it meant.

"No..."

Siwon nodded. There was no reproach in his eyes, just a seriousness that was unlike anything he'd seen before.

"You know I've been with Hyukjae for longer than I care to say. Never has he gone as far as.... he's never gotten himself involved in one of his protégé's life."

Siwon smiled to himself.

"It's not that it's forbidden. It's just that we're not drawn to humans. But Hyukjae.... he's always been more drawn to humans than most."

Donghae didn't miss out the 'we'.

"Wait a minute."

Donghae said.

"Are you saying..."

Siwon shook his hands.

"It doesn't matter."

"Oh..."

Donghae couldn't think clearly.

"Ah there you are. Take care of him will you."

Siwon said getting up.

Donghae looked at who Siwon was adressing himself to. But he figured he already knew who it was. He looked older. He couldn't tell why... also, he looked tired. He'd never looked tired before.

"Ah..."

Dongae said getting up, but his legs gave way and he fell back on his knees. Hyukjae curiously didn't make it in time to save him.

"Are you all right?"

Hyukjae asked clumsily grabbing his arm and trying to help him up.

Siwon laughed.

"Well as it appears you've finally won your case."

Hyukjae scolded him.

"I'm not used to it..."

"Well you'll have to."

"What's he saying?"

Donghae asked. All confused.

"Hyukjae traded in his immortality."

Donghae blinked, still not understanding anything.

"Hyukjae is a human now. And there's nothing I can do about it."

"Don't be all sad now."

Hyukjae winced.

"Hey I lost my best friend, what else do you expect."

Siwon wiped his eyes and left, waving.

"Is he going to be all right?"

"Of course."

Hyukjae was still holding on to Donghae and apparently had no intention of letting go.

"You.... are human now?"

Hyukjae suddenly turned red for some reason.

"Am I supposed to get it?"

Donghae asked.

"Not really."

"Good. Because I don't."

"Actually it's..."

Donghae didn't let him finish his sentence and Hyukjae was too happy to push Donghae away from him because... frankly he'd been as eager to kiss the life out of him.

-------------------------------------------------

Ahhhhh I'm sorry I'm sorry I got sick and couldn't post. So anyways here.... to make it up to you I'll post some in the next chapter.

So now you have it. Sorry if it sounds a bit rushed. I had to hurry a bit since I wrote this between classes.

Saranghae!

-Author-nim