You make me smile

The Boy in the Orange Room

''You accepted?''

The girl next to him in that same class asked him the next day. Donghae nodded. She patted his head gently. He winced but enjoyed the touch.

''Darn Oppa, even your head feels cold.''

''It's the snow.''

He said, wrinkling his nose. The girl laughed.

''What does that have to do with it? You don't ever go outside unless you have to.''

That was true.

Donghae laid back in his chair and reminisced because quite frankly he had nothing better to do.

When had it all begun? He wasn't sure. He was normal before it happened. That is, before he saw it happen. That boy who died... after that he felt as if his body wasn't his own. As if something else had crept inside his body. Another soul, another existence, granting him the power to do things. Little things like being at two places at once, healing small wounds... making his bed and fixing breakfast at the same time. It was fun at the beginning, but the more he gave space to that other part of him, the more it made him sick. He never got well again. Now he felt hollow, he felt lost. He was alone now. 'It' (whatever it was, Donghae wasn't even sure himself) had left him earlier during break. He had a headache, but he was used to them. His mouth was dry, but he was used to that as well.

When it was all over he went to join Hyukjae at the club room. He wasn't there yet, but that boy that had been there yesterday was there.

''Hey.''

He said. Donghae's eyes squinted.

''What did you say your name was again?''

''Choi Siwon.''

''Ah right. Sorry. I'm not good with names. Faces I remember, but not names.''

''It's all right. Won't you sit down? You look pale. But then... you always do."

Donghae agreed and sat on the floor on the opposite end of the tea table.

"Do you want something to drink?"

"Just water."

Siwon walked to the small fridge reserved for their club in the corner of the room and got a water bottle out. He handed it to him.

"Thank you. You're nice."

Siwon laughed.

"You're very blunt aren't you."

"I get that a lot."

"You get away with it?"

Donghae shrugged. He still had his headache but he didn't feel so horrible. At first he'd thought Siwon might get on his nerves for being so charismatic and nice but he wasn't too clingy for now so he felt comfortable around him.

"Is he always late?"

Donghae said, staringn at the clock.

"Yup."

Siwon answered without even looking up from his homework.

"You did that one wrong."

Donghae said pointing at one of the equations on Siwon's worksheet. Siwon frowned and studied the equation carefully. He smiled.

"You're right. Thanks. You're a smart one uh? No wonder Hyukjae wants to keep you around."

"Uh?"

"Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's particularly dumb... he just gets distracted easily."

"Yeah. He seems like that kind of person."

"You noticed?"

"There's not much that I don't notice."

"That's very confident of you to say."

"I wasn't complimenting myself. It's a curse really. I can never have some peace of mind. I'm always asking myself thousands of questions.... useless questions that nobody bothers answering."

"Oh."

There was an awkward pause. Even though Siwon was the only feeling awkward he couldn't help but sympathize with him. Donghae looked like a lost puppy. Siwon felt like he was doing him a kindness just listening to him. Just then Hyukjae walked in.

"Sorry I'm late."

"You're always late."

Donghae pointed out without humor.

"Yah, thanks for reminding me."

Hyukjae said sliding down on the right corner of Donghae and leaning his head on the tea table. Donghae had the sudden urge to touch him. He never fought his urges. He slid a hand through the boy's silky hair.

"Wow.... that hair is so soft even though it's dyed."

Hyukjae laughed under him.

"Donghae-ah you're so weird."

Donghae smiled to himself, his headache gone, his whole body feeling like it was being restored. Donghae was still curious as to why that only happened once Hyukjae was in the room. Either way he was glad to have accepted that secretary position. Even though it was a lot of trouble, maybe he could manage it until summer. After that... God knows what might happen to them.

"Don't stop. It feels really good."

He heard Hyukjae say. Donghae rolled his eyes and continued raking his fingers through Hyukjae's hair. He leaned over and smelled it as some point. Curious as ever. Hyukjae smelled like the sea. Like a wave of freshness. It was a magnificent smell. He'd never smelled anything that thrilling. Raw essence, something that you never forget.

"Did I get this equation right?"

Siwon asked, interrupting Donghae's reverie. Donghae stared at it briefly.

"I think the formula's good but your answer is not."

Siwon looked at it and started it over, never giving up.

"You're helping Siwon with his homework?"

Hyukjae said sitting up straight. Donghae held the hand that had touched Hyukjae's hair. With any chance, there might be some trace of that scent on his hand.

"It's a bad habit of mine."

Donghae said.

"What do you mean?"

"Always telling people what's wrong with their homework."

"Oh. Well it's okay, I annoy people a lot by smiling all the time and yet some people say my smile is the greatest."

"It is."

Hyukjae's mouth opened but no words came out. He looked away. Donghae wondered if he'd done something wrong again. The prospect of that being true scared him more than it should.

"You always say whatever you want uh?"

"I guess so. I'm sorry."

"No, no it's good. Don't stop."

Hyukjae smiled at him and then, being the club's president, called them to order.

"All right, today I asked a few girls if they'd be interested to join the choir, but..."

"Haven't you already asked all the girls who could actually sing?"

Siwon interjected.

"Take notes. Yes I have but we can't afford them..."

The first part was for Donghae, the rest was for Siwon.

"You mean they've all being rejected by you."

"Yah! Don't make it sound like it's my fault."

"It's your fault for not having a girlfriend."

"Ahhh enough. We are not having that conversation. Hey! Don't write that down!"

Donghae looked up innocently. Siwon burst out laughing.

"Yes! Yes! Write it down! Let's see just how many girls he rejected so far."

"Siwon... sometimes I swear you talk too much."

"Why don't you just fall in love already?"

"Don't make it sound easy. You just got a girlfriend. Don't talk as if you've had hundreds."

"At least I got one."

Hyukjae slapped his shoulder.

"Why are you smiling like that?"

Hyukjae asked Donghae suddenly. Donghae shook his head. He hadn't realized he was smiling all this time.

"Nothing. I just think you two are idiots."

They started screaming at him then but Donghae plugged his ears. So they chased him around the room. For the first time in what felt like a lifetime, Donghae had a continuous smile on his face.

--------------------------------------------

Seriously... I was feeling drained earlier and here I am again writing a chapter... Inspiration hits me in the face and I can't deny it. 

Just a thought : Being a piano player, I always thought that typing was kind of like piano playing... Knowing that your making something beautiful while using your fingertips...It adds poetry to it. XD