Unknown

The Boy in the Orange Room

''Hyukjae... there's a person at the door for you.''

Hyukjae got his nose out of his homework and looked at his mother.

''Who?''

''Some really pretty boy.''

His mother said frowning. Was she frustrated by that fact alone? Hyukjae covered his mouth, relating the dots in his head. He got up and practically ran to the door. He saw Donghae stare at the distant road with that bleak expression on his face. He sighed once and then he looked at Hyukjae. He could almost see a smile on his lips.

''Oh, so this IS where you live?''

''How did you...''

''Oh I dreamnt of this place before.''

Hyukjae frowned. Donghae shook his head.

''Sorry that came out wrong. I mean I've seen this place before.''

Donghae didn't look like he was lying so Hyukjae let it be. He was wondering if Donghae would like to come in. He was such a tidy person though... he would definately not approve of the state of his room.

But before he could ask Donghae got something out of his pocket.

''What's your phone number?''

Donghae asked, fiddling with the device. Hyukjae was speechless. Donghae looked up, curious. When he saw the interrogative expression on Hyukjae's face.

''I got this so you could reach me better so what's your number?''

''Oh... um...''

He finally managed to remember his number and then he watched closely as Donghae wrote a short mesage and then pressed 'send'. Hyukjae still couldn't believe it... until he heard his cellphone beep inside the house. He ran to get it and saw that he'd gotten a message from : unknown.

'It looks like it'll rain.'

Hyukjae laughed at the simpleness and awkwardness of it and he returned to take care of his guest. He had this childish smile on his face and Donghae was reminded of how cute he thought he found his 'friend'.

''Do you want to come in?''

Hyukjae asked.

''Only for a little bit, thank you.''

He got in and Hyukjae shut the door behind him.

''No need to be so formal.''

He breathed walking inside a brief moment to say that he was having a 'friend' over. Donghae was rather relieved that Hyukjae thought that way. It would spare him from asking all sorts of stupid questions. Real friends don't need to be asked if they're your friends or not.

''Come on. I was just doing homework in the living room.''

''You do your homework in the living room?''

''Yeah? It gets lonely in the room. Besides, Mother loves seeing me work. She's been kind of lonely since... well since Dad left really.''

Donghae felt that he understood that; how his mother would love watching him study. He felt kind of the same way about him.

''I'm sorry.''

''Ah don't worry. She's got a boyfriend now so... you can sit down you know.''

Hyukjae said, pointing out that he was the only one sitting on the three seats sofa.

''There's no room.''

Hyukjae chuckled.

''What do you mean? This is a sofa...''

''But you're already sitting on it.''

''Oh. Are you shy?''

Donghae shook his head. He was so obviously being shy.

''Come on. I won't eat you. Sit right there.''

Hyukjae said, patting the space to his right. Donghae obeyed and for a while they say in silence. Not an awkward silence, but a reflexive one. The one that occurs when others think carefully about each other.

''What's that on your forehead?''

''Uh?''

Donghae immediately touched his forehead with his hand. Hyukjae chuckled at his speedy reaction.

''It looks like paint...''

He mumbled reaching over briefly to touch him. Donghae's body reacted strangely to that. He went from being rather cold to being rather extremely warm.

''My cousin owns a paint shop. I do some side jobs and restore some of the furniture that come in.''

''A painter? Didn't think you were the artsy type...''

''It's not really art. Though my cousin might have a three-hour long debate with you if he heard you say that.''

''Uh...''

Hyukjae had never thought about Donghae's parents. All he ever thought was Donghae. He'd wondered why he always looked so lonely but he had never really had the occasion to ask him about them. Their friendship was still at an early stage and Hyukjae felt like he had to be very careful around him. Even though Donghae gave the impression that if you asked him anything he would answer.

''You have a cousin?''

''And an aunt and uncle. I don't have any other relatives.''

''Oh I'm sorry.''

''Don't be. There's nothing you can do about it.''

Donghae shivered, the coldness returning to his body.

''Are you cold?''

''A little. But I feel much better than before I came here.''

''Were you sick again?''

Hyukjae asked, concerned.

''Yes.''

Hyukjae frowned.

''Are they always convulsions like that other time?''

Ah. So he did remember. He was being kind about it and avoided the subject. What a weirdo. Donghae thought.

''Yes. Everyday, at about the same time.''

''Oh. It looks very painful.''

Hyukjae cringed at the memory in his head.

''It's all right. Seeing you makes me feel better.''

''Uh?''

The words were too unexpected to be true.

''Seeing you makes me feel a lot better... and I have no clue why.''

Donghae frowned. That made Hyukjae worry.

''Is it... is it a bad thing?''

''No. It isn't. I just wonder why. It's very weird.''

''Um... I don't sure I understand but... feel free to hang around if it makes you feel better.''

''Thank you. I think I'll do that. But don't you find it weird?''

''I never thought of you as 'normal' in any way before. So I can't say that I'm surprised about this.''

'''Normal'.''

Donghae breathed.

''Ah! Don't take this the wrong way! I only meant that you always seemed... too good for the rest of us. You have this thing that sets you apart... it's like... you remind me of someone.''

Donghae's ears rang.

''I remind you of someone?''

''Yes. There was this hyung when I was a first year that had this same air about him. Not arrogant but just... strong I guess. We were good friends. However he passed away in a car accident.''

''What was his name?''

Donghae breathed.

''Kim Heechul.''

Donghae stopped breathing.

''So that's why.''

''That's why what?''

Hyukjae asked. Donghae focused on breathing steadily for a while. Thankfully he was already empty, otherwise he might not have reacted so well to this news.

''Never mind. I'll explain it to you another time. I have to leave now.''

And without another word he got up, put his coat and shoes on and left. He got home pretty fast thankfully, because tears were already falling down his eyes. He'd forgotten about asking him to meet his cousin. But it didn't matter now. Donghae curled up in a ball and cried for the first time in a long long time.

------------------------------------------

Did you know? Shinee's MV Fire is out now? It's such a pretty and soft song... and Key looks really good in it! Anyways, an update for you on this grey thursday. Hope it's not so bleak for you cuz it sure is for me! Also... Nu'est... those guys... I mean, their songs are good. So listen to Hello too. It's a really good one. Plus it's grey and bleak so... perfect for my mindset.

Love!

-Author nim