Make him happy

The Boy in the Orange Room

To all the troubled hearts out there... be at peace! I did plan to give Hyukjae a voice because I admit it can be confusing to some of you even though some did understand. First of all, it's not such a big deal. Initially Hyukjae wasn't supposed to trade anything but it seemed too cruel to make Donghae grow old when Hyukjae remained the same young beautiful being. It was also on my bucket list to write this chapter to clear off as much confusion as I could. So I'm going to shut up now and just start writing.

---------------------------

-flashback-

"Hyukjae..."

Hyukjae knew that voice, even though they were miles apart right then. He sighed. It couldn't be time to go already right?"

"It's time to go."

"Five more minutes."

He insisted.

"I've already given you ten extra. Come on, we're already late. We can't keep them waiting any longer."

Hyukjae sighed. He got up from Donghae's bed and jumped out the window, flapping his wings only once to propulse him into the open skies.

"You're incorrigible do you know that? What's so intriguing about humans?"

"Don't you wonder why we have to protect them?"

"It's our job. It's what we do."

"There's more to them than meets the eye."

Hyukjae could feel Siwon grimace inside his mind.

"You're starting to sound like one of them."

"Is there anything wrong with that?"

"Not really. It's just... I feel like I'm losing to a human."

Hyukjae laughed.

"My friend, no one could ever replace you."

"You say that, but you've been thinking about him a lot more than you ever thought about me across the years."

"I just worry about him..."

Siwon didn't answer. Hyukjae thought that was odd.

"Siwon?"

Siwon didn't answer again. Suddenly, there was an odd feeling building up in Hyukjae's core.

"Siwon you know something don't you?"

Hyukjae met up with his friend on the school rooftop where they had agreed to meet a few hours earlier. Siwon looked too serious to be kidding around.

"Siwon..."

"You remember how she died? That girl I had been watching over?"

Hyukjae remembered. It was silly to ask about memories because people like them didn't forget anything. The girl he was talking about had committed suicide while they were at a meeting.

"Yes.... why are you bringing that up?"

"I wasn't there to save her. They say it was her time. But I wonder... when people bring their own doom on themselves, is that not where we should save them? From themselves."

Hyukjae's heart would've stopped had he been in his human form right then. But he wasn't.

"Are you saying... this is what's going to happen to..."

Siwon grimaced.

"I can't tell you now can I?"

Hyukjae ran off the roof again and flought back to Donghae's house. He perched himself on the roof and waited. Anxiously listening for a hint, carefully inspecting Donghae's resolution. He was relatively peaceful. And then he heard it, he heard Heechul's thoughts coming in the distance.

Such violent words were coming out of his mouth. His resolve was of a burning red. Hyukjae had to think quickly. He looked around, searching for Heechul's guardian but he wasn't around.... what a coincidence. Hyukjae flew towards Heechul but only circled above him a few feet up, afraid to get too close.

He was going to kill him. He said. He was going to make him pay. He said.

Oh no, what had he done. Only hours earlier he'd refused this poor boy's advances. He could feel there was something irrational in him at work, but to think that he was about to murder.... and no other than Donghae.

Hyukjae started to panick. He looked around for anything that could hinder Heechul without causing him harm, anything that could discourage him but there wasn't. Hyukjae flew to Donghae's room, anxious to warm him. But he couldn't change back to his human form. Something was keeping him from doing just that. Hyukjae was furious. They couldn't let him die. Not this way. Heechul was about to cross the street. Hyukjae flew out there again and with all of the power he held, made the ground tilt. Not enough that it would seem suspicious, but just enough so that Heechul would trip.

He did. But something unexpected happened then, a car rode by, way too fast for human laws. Suddenly, in a flash, it was all over.

Hyukjae could only stare in horror at the scene before him. Not only Heechul was dead... but so were Donghae's parents, who had been driving that car. Hyukjae stared in the direction of Donghae's window and saw with much horror that he happened to be looking out right at that moment.

Hyukjae flew away, not knowing what he should do.

-end of flashback-

"Hey! I'm talking to you."

Hyukjae came back to reality and took his eyes away from the club room's window.

"You're the only one I know who's able to space out like that. Were you thinking about the accident again?"

Hyukjae sighed. It bothered him that Siwon could always tell what he was thinking.

"You always have that look on your face whenever you do. I'll say it again, it wasn't your fault. Even without your interference, all those people would've died. There was nothing you could do. It was already written out."

"Then why did you tell me about it?"

"I didn't. I merely hinted it."

Hyukjae rolled his eyes.

"I still don't get why if there wasn't anything I could do..."

"You would've wanted to be there if he had died right? Just like I wish I could've been there when that girl died..."

Siwon's eyes became clouded but he would never cry. It wasn't his nature.

"Yes... thank you."

Siwon shook his head dismissively. He hardly liked talking about things like that.

"Are you going to go to his place again today?"

"Yes."

Hyukjae breathed. Siwon smiled.

"You really are in love with this boy aren't you?"

Hyukjae blushed.

"Ah come on don't be like that. It's written all over your face."

"Well it's embarrassing! Aren't you the one always saying that it's pathetic."

"Not really. Sometiems I envy your love for humans. I just don't understand them. But you, you do. Be thankful for that. I believe you have that power for a reason. You should make good use of it. Who knows, maybe it'll save Donghae."

"He's so unhappy."

"Then use that power to make him happy. If it matters to you, you should do it."

Hyukjae smiled.

"Why are you encouraging me to travel into the unknown?"

"Because I believe that is your purpose. Be happy. Protect him with all you've got."

Hyukjae smiled to himself, thinking he would do just that.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Even if I wrote a note at the top, I feel it would be breaking tradition if I didn't leave an author's note at the bottom.

So here, a little more of Hyukjae and Siwon's world. If you still don't get it I'll just pin it down for you because I don't want you guys to be confused : Siwon and Hyukjae are immortal beings that look over humans. It's their job. They can take human shape but even then they won't be totally human, it's really only a shell to be unnoticeable. Hyukjae is Donghae's protector since birth but he's also not the only person he's ever looked after. Same with Siwon. They've been on earth for quite some time, however Hyukjae chose to trade in his immortality to be with Donghae and live a mortal life. So yeah... there you go.

Saranghae!

Author-nim.