I know who you are

The Boy in the Orange Room

It was snowing that day.

It was already late February and the students were already too eager for sping to come. All except one. One for whom seasons didn't matter, to whom life seemed very dull and maybe even boring.

Why?

He didn't know. Donghae didn't want to know. He preferred to live a dull life, preferred to ignore the voices in the back of his head. There was only one thing that affected Donghae as much as any other human being : the fear of being unloved. He was paralyzed by it. So much that he made fun just to make sure he was normal. But Donghae wasn't normal. Unfortunately.

"Yah, fish! Move!"

A boy said pushing him over so he could glance outside the window. Donghae ignored the fact that he'd just been brutalized and retreated to the other corner of the window so he could observe the snow fall more calmly.

"Looks like Hyukjae's getting confessed to again."

The boy said, adressing himself to the whole classroom. Just then everyone ran to the windows and Donghae felt his hand move up and he backed away cautiously. He didn't want anything weird to happen to them. He didn't want to hurt anybody.

"Awe isn't that Park Bom? She is cute! I bet he's going to say yes!"

Half the girls giggled.

"No look! She's walking away."

A bunch of inauble sounds filled the room so Donghae covered his ears and watched the hallway, wishing, praying that his teacher would show up quickly enough. Thankfully he did. The class was called to order and Donghae was the first that was seated, his notebook out and ready to be filled with notes that he'd never look at. He didn't care; time went by faster when he took notes. He stared at the girl next to him who passed him a note while the teacher wasn't looking. He read what was on it and then scribbled back on it. Donghae slid his hands over it and then counted to three. When he laid his hands back on his lap, the paper had disappeared and had made its way on the girl's desk. She took it and shook her head upon reading his answer. 'Do you want us to wait for you today? We're going karaoke!' 'No thank you.'

That's how it happened. How it always happened. He just counted... and then it happened.

"Lee Donghae, please translate the following sentence. "Le soleil brille aujourd'hui, je suis heureux."

This teacher always had to call on him at least once during class. It was almost harassment, but he didn't care. He stood up and spoke the words slowly and flawlessly.

"The sun is shinning, I am happy."

The teached congradulated him for the 500th time and Donghae sat down with a heavy sigh. He hated being the teacher's pet. But he was too accomodating for it to be otherwise. He felt that being nice like that would compensate for his weirdness.

After class he felt the weight of another fall off his shoulder. He waited for everyone to leave the classroom and then let his head fall against the desk. A few tears ran down his tears as he felt the pain fill him once again. It couldn't be held back any longer it had to get out. He felt his veins burn with it, his head being freed from it. It escaped his body and filled the room leaving Donghae breathless and in spasms.

"Yah! Who's making all this ruckus?!"

Oh no.

"Who are you?"

Crap, crap, crap. It was too late now. He couldn't surpress it now that it was all out. He pretented to have fainted, but he heard the footsteps get closer and a cold hand pressed against his forehead.

"What's wrong with you?"

Donghae froze. He couldn't be touched. He stood up, his movement sending the stranger flying across the desk besides his. Donghae didn't know what to do. Didn't know what to say. No one had ever seen him... empty himself like that. He was still having trouble catching his breath and he couldn't bring himself to find a suitable and reasonable explanation. He was paralyzed with fear.

"Woe... what's the matter with you?"

Said the boy (it was a boy indeed), getting up. Donghae opened his mouth but no words came out. He'd seen him before around school. He wasn't in any of his classes but pretty much anyone would notice anyone with such blond hair and alluring smile. At least Donghae would.

"S....sorry..."

Donghae finally managed to say. The boy winced and held his arm. Donghae fought the urge to 'fix' it.

"It's okay. I must have scared you a lot. Are you okay? You looked like you were in a lot of pain."

"I'm fine."

"Your head's bleeding."

"No it's not."

"Yes it is."

Hyukjae reached out to touch him but Donghae moved away and touched his forehead instead. It was wet. Crap. He'd hurt himself again. He should definately find a better spot to do this. But he always ran out of time.

"You should go to the infirmary."

Donghae didn't answer, he just stared at his bloodied hand.

"Are you really ok?"

"Yeah. You should leave."

Donghae always talked too bluntly. He didn't talk much but what he said was to the point. His friends appreciated him for it, but most people didn't. Hyukjae frowned. He wasn't used to be told what to do, he usually was the one with that capacity. Yet, there was something in Donghae's eyes that told him he should do exactly as he said. Hyukjae turned around, his forehead creased, frowning. Donghae counted briefly and then felt the last bit of it exit his body and slide into Hyukjae's body. He watched as the boy suddenly started playing with his elbow and realizing there wasn't any pain anymore.

Donghae sighed after he finally disappeared from his sight. That was too close. He really had to find a way to hide himself better. He waited an additonal five minutes and then ran to the bathroom and washed his forehead. The cut wasn't too deep. It could last until tomorrow, then he would heal it.

He hurried to the bus stop and froze when he saw the all too familiar figure standing there. Waiting. Donghae cursed under his breath but there was really nothing he could do about it. He wanted to go home. He wanted to rest.

"Oh. You."

Hyukjae said looking up from his cellphone. He smiled unexpectedly. Donghae felt something in him break. He wasn't sure what it was, but that boy had a smile.

He nodded and stood as far away as politeness would allow. Hyukjae toyed with his cellphone for a bit longer and then he sighed and put it in his pocket.

"Do you like snow?"

Hyukjae asked suddenly.

"No."

Donghae answered before he could start marvelling over the fact that he was talking to him. He thought he'd be mad, or rude. But he didn't even seem to remember what had happened earlier. Could it be?....

"I figured you didn't. You stare outside that class a lot and you have that look on your face."

He chuckled. Again, Donghae was speechless. Was he weird? Who the hell would remember such a thing? Who would remember him? Besides the fact that he was weird up close...

"I like to stare."

Donghae said. He happened to be staring at the ground then, proving his words true.

"Is that so? Don't you get in trouble for it?"

"Not really. I don't stand out."

"Do you have a disease?"

Hyukjae asked suddenly out of the blue. Donghe looked at him to see if he was making fun of him. He wasn't.

"Sort of."

"That's why you always keep yourself away from others? Is it contageous?"

Donghae couldn't help himself; he laughed.

"You... no it isn't."

He said shaking his head. Hyukjae had no clue what was so funny about his question but it didn't matter to him. He'd made Donghae smile.

"You never laugh. You should laugh more often."

"Life is boring."

"Then... make it unboring?"

Hyukjae suggested.

If only.

The bus showed up and then Donghae climbed in. He made sure to sit with someone else so that Hyukjae wouldn't get the brilliant idea of sitting beside him. But he managed to find a seat just behind him. Donghae figured there was something definately wrong with this guy.

"You live downtown?"

"I guess that's what it's called."

"How come I've never seen you around?"

"Because I don't usually go out."

Donghae couldn't stand interrogations usually. But he felt sorry for earlier so he let this one pass.... maybe he would let a lot more pass. He didn't know. Hyukjae was the first person to have made him laugh in a long long while. He heard Hyukjae his coat and the slow beating of his heart and... and... Donghae closed his eyes focused.

Hyukjae was such a peaceful person to listen to. He couldn't believe just how soothing it felt to 'listen' to him.

Donghae listened for a long while, until the bus finally stopped and Hyukjae got up. His heartbeat quickened and Donghae opened his eyes to see if anything was wrong. Hyukjae was staring at him.

"Aren't you getting off?"

Donghae shook his head.

"I get off at the next corner. Saves me from extra time in the cold weather."

Hyukjae nodded and then waved at him, exiting the bus. His heart sank. The peace he'd gotten from listening to Hyukjae was all gone. Fear crept into him again as he exited the bus. He stood still, wondering what he wanted to eat for dinner.

"Yah!"

A voice came from further down the street. Donghae looked in that direction but he couldn't make out if he was being called after or not so he turned away. He didn't like staying outdoors too long.

"Yah!"

Came the voice again, but this time it was much closer.

Donghae turned around... and saw Hyukjae running towards him. He couldn't believe it.

"You didn't tell me your name."

Hyukjae said, trying to catch his breath and failing. Did he really have such poor stamina?

"Uh?"

Donghae asked, confused by the whole situation.

"Your name, your class."

"Oh... Lee Donghae."

"Ah... I'm..."

"I know who you are."

Hyukjae laughed. He hadn't been cut off like this in a while.

"Good evening."

Donghae bowed respectfully and then turned and walked away.

"See you tomorrow!"

Hyukjae shouted enthusiastically after him. Donghae didn't look back.

He wondered when he got home, why he wished he had looked back after all.

---------------------------------------

*clears throat* I'm dizzy now. Ok..... *squeals* I've always liked adding a little mystery and supernatural to my stories. I don't know if I'm any good at it. However, I hope it turns out well! Thank you subscribers for subscribing even before the first chapter is out XD It meant a lot to me and I hope you enjoy it. Saranghae!