Suddenly

Falling Stars

"Good morning Nicole."  The nurses greeted Nicole warmly as she enter the hospital.

"Morning," Nicole smiled back as she enter her office. She stared at her clock that told her it was only 5:30 in the early morning.  Her tired eyes was about to shut when suddenly her phone ringed.  She picked up the phone and cleared before proceeding to answering, "Hello, Doctor Jung's office."

"We have an emergency," the nurse on the other line stated, "Doctor Choi isn't in his office right now, we need you!"

"I'm on my way." Nicole quickly got up as she walked outside, "Daehyun..." Nicole was shocked to see her brother with five other guys and a girl standing at the front counter.

"Help him....please." Yongguk who had Zelo on his back pleaded with watery eyes as the nurses brought in the strolling bed.

They all watched as Nicole and her nurses strolled Zelo into the emergency room.  They waited outside worried with the outcome.  Yongguk was being comforted by Jieun as the other boys sat at a distant.  Himchan was surprised to had met Nicole again but she didn't notice him.  He looked at Daehyun who sat with his arms crossed leaning back in the seat.

"How do you know the doctor?" Himchan asked Daehyun who suddenly sat straight up now.

"That's my noona." Daehyun flatly replied not knowing why Himchan had suddenly asked him.

"Oh right, that is Daehyun's noona who came to help Zelo yesterday." Youngjae smiled.

"That's your noona?" Yongguk who overheard them stood up.

"Oh...nee," Daehyun shook his head.

"What the hell did she do to him?!" Yongguk asked in anger, "Why did he cough out blood in the early morning?  He was trembling and his cut was bleeding!" Yongguk gritted his teeth tightly, "Do you know how scared I was?!!"

"Yaaa," Daehyun stood up surprised by Yongguk's sharp words, "Hyung!" Daehyun felt his body heating up, "Are you blaming my sister for this accident?!" Daehyun clenched his fist tightly now.

"Hyung..." Jongup stood up beside Daehyun, "I don't think Yongguk hyung meant it like that."

"That's exactly what he meant!" Daehyun stated anger now, "If it wasn't for my noona, Zelo wouldn't be with us right now!  If it wasn't for her he would have bled to death, because you never want to call for help.  You run away from this damn REALITY that's in your face!! You don't care about anyone but yourself!! APPRECIATE!!  The least you can do is APPRECIATE!! Know that there are people in this world who wants to help you! That you can't help everyone every time!!" Daehyun who was frustrated walked off as Youngjae and Jongup followed him.

"Yongguk-ah..." Jieun placed her hands onto his shoulders to comfort him as he quickly brushed her off so suddenly leaving her surprised.

"You should go home now.  Just go.." He stated softly to her though she knew he was annoyed, "I'll call you later." Without another word Jieun left.

Himchan and Yongguk sat patiently outside the emergency room.  It was now 7 in the morning.  Yet no words on how he was doing.  Yongguk thought about Daehyun's words.  Maybe his emotion did get the best of him.  He never meant to offend Daehyun in any way but it was just the fact that Zelo's conditioned scared him.  He leaned his head back against the wall now with his eyes closed.

"You know, you should probably apologized to Daehyun." Himchan finally spoke, "I mean his sister didn't have to come and help but she took her time to and this was all my fault.  If I had pushed him down in time then he wouldn't be in this condition."

"Tskk, a Doctor...she should stay in school longer before becoming an official doctor..." Yongguk found himself spitting out words of hate instead though he never meant for them to come out, "I mean..."

"He's alright now..." Nicole was standing in front of the two boys now, "and before you speak, think." Nicole walked away as Yongguk felt embarrassed.

Himchan ran after Nicole as Yongguk stood still.  Himchan caught up to her as he shield away her path with his hands stretching out on both sides.  Nicole finally realized who he was.  Her eyes widen as a smile slowly crept upon his face.

"Remember me..." Himchan smiled, "Kim Himchan..."

The two sat outside the hospital park benched in the back sipping on juice bottles.

"I'm sorry about what he said earlier." Himchan bowed his head towards Nicole.

"Aniya...I get that a lot." She smiled, "He has every right to be mad at what happened." Nicole stared at the morning clouds, "It was my mistake, I gave him the wrong pill yesterday.  Forgetting that he was already injured.  Maybe I should forget about becoming a Doctor." She kicked the cement ground.

"Aren't you an official doctor already?"

"I'm in training, but yes you can say I'm an official doctor now." Nicole took one last sip of her juice box before heading back inside leaving Himchan alone.

As she enter the building and made her way back towards the front counter she found Yongguk standing there asking the nurses some questions about Zelo.  He turned and spotted Nicole who lightly bowed towards him then walking towards her room.

"Jakkuman," He ran towards her pulling her right arm, "I'm very sorry." He stated in his deep low voice.

"It's fine.  If you're looking for his room number it's on the third floor K-5."

"Noona!" Daehyun ran towards the two, "Why are you talking to hyung...he was being a jerk!" Daehyun was still mad about earlier.

"I just really wanted to apologized, really...I just hope you can forgive me." He lowered his head in front of Nicole.

"Wow..." Daehyun was surprised, "You've never apologize to anyone, even if you're wrong...why are you apologizing all of a sudden?" Daehyun asked.

"Because she saved Zelo's life twice now." Yongguk lifted his head, "Let's be friends." He smiled taking his hands out as Nicole shook it.

"He's alright now...and don't worry about the hospital cost. It's been taken for." She bowed one last time before walking away now.

Himchan and the other boys enter Zelo's room now while he was fast asleep. Yongguk sat down beside the maknae's bed. He felt his heart finally feeling at ease knowing that Zelo was in a better place rather then trying to recover at home. Daehyun stood at the end of the bed looking at Yongguk.

"Hyung..." He softly spoke, "I'm sorry for..." He lower his head, "I'm sorry for raising my voice..."

"It's okay." Yongguk turned to look at Daehyun, "Keep your head up, remember we never lower our heads." Yongguk gave him a reassuring smile, "Brothers argue and fight but at the end rely on one another."

"Aww, look at you two making up." Himchan smiled.

"Hyungs..." They all turned to see Zelo slowly opening his eyes now, "where am I?" He asked confused.

"You're at the hospital now." Jongup went to stand on the opposite side from Yongguk, "Nicole noona saved you again." Jongup smiled.

"Ahh, that's her name." A small smile crept onto his face.

"Do you have a crush on her?" Yongguk and the rest of the boys began making fun of him expect for Himchan who stood silent.

"You have someone who wants to see you." Nicole looked up to see nurse Park standing at her doorway.

"Let them in." Nicole closed her files as nurse Park came back with the person, "This," she gestured the man into her office.

"Thank you." He bowed in front of nurse Park as she left closing the door shut.

"W-why are you here?" Her eyes widen.

"What's wrong with you?" Yongguk asked Himchan who sat outside Zelo's room by himself.

"Nothing..." Himchan replied flatly.

"It's not like you to not joke around." Yongguk informed him, "Besides you're not the type to sit quietly."

"It's nothing." Himchan stood up and walked back into the room leaving Yongguk behind.

"Yonghwa..." Nicole stood up from her desk, "what are you doing here?" She felt her heart racing.

"I came to ask if you got my invitation, since you didn't give me a call back." He smiled, "Why do you look so surprise?"

"Ah, it's nothing." She took her seat once again yet gesturing for him to sit down across from her.

"And there's another thing I wanted to talk to you about." He gave her a light smile.

Nicole opened the front gate of their house now. She closed it shut behind her as she made her way towards their front door. She had gotten home later than usual.  The house was dark as she enter slipping on her house slippers. She walked up the stairs straight to her room. She placed all of her belongings on her desk changing into comfortable clothing before lying on her bed.



============================================= Flashback =============================================



"You know I never meant to hurt you." Yonghwa looked at her straight in the eyes.

"Stop acting." Nicole flatly replied, "The show is already over."  Nicole felt the cold tears streaming down her emotionless face.

"Nicole," his voice soften and lower, "I"

"Think about what you're asking me to do." She let her tears fall, "You're asking your girlfriend of five years to attend your wedding." She pointed out.

"I just...I just really want you there."

"But I really, just really rather stay far away from the two of you."

"Just think about it." He stood up, "I'll really appreciate if you were there." He then walked out.

 


============================================= End of Flash Back =============================================



It was now beginning to feel like winter. The snow hadn't fallen yet but the coldness was slowly wrapping itself around Seoul. The morning was dull with grey skies. Nicole tied her hair back before walking out of her bedroom closing her door shut as she found her mother standing outside already waiting for her.

"Umma..." Nicole asked confused, "Why are you up so early? It's five in the morning." She stared at the watch that wrapped around her right wrist.

"Yaaaa, Jung Nicole Yoo Joo!!" Her mother yelled and it felt as though thunder had roared.

Mrs. Jung walked over as she grabbed Nicole by her right ear dragging her downstairs. Nicole let out a loud grunt as they reached their kitchen now. Mrs. Jung let go of Nicole's ear and threw the newspaper towards her. She caught it clumsily then redeeming herself. She looked at her mother who gestured her to open the paper as Nicole did.

"Jung Yonghwa..." Nicole stopped reading as she felt the tears streaming down her face, "Ju-Jung Yonghwa..." She fell down on to both knees shocked and worn out as Mrs. Jung stood still.

"Why?" She asked Nicole, "How could...how could you let this happen?" She covered with both hands to stop herself from crying out loud.

"Umma..." Nicole held the paper closely onto her chest, "wake me up from this dream. Please!!" Her sobs became audible now.

"23 year old Jung Yonghwa was pronounced dead at his parents residence in his bedroom with a letter that seemed to be left for his loved one who we do not know of right now." Yongguk who stayed by Zelo's side the whole night was still up and happened to be watching the news report in the early morning, "It was said he had been suffering from depression for a couple months now and was under medication. He was said to be wedded this December with his fiancé Seo Joo-hyun."

"Hyung..." Yongguk was surprise that Zelo was up, "What if that happened to you?" He asked not taking his eyes off the tv screen.

"Aish, why are you up so early?" Yongguk sigh, "Go back to sleep."

"No really hyung." Zelo asked again, "What if you were to married Jieun noona this month but...but she committed suicide?"

"I'm tired." Yongguk turned off the tv now.

"Hyung."

"I'm sleeping now." Yongguk made himself comfortable in the small chair.

Nicole sat waiting at the usual bus stop. The cold winter wind was blowing harshly today than any other day. She felt her face turning stone cold as her lose black side hair sway in the direction the wind was taking it. She held back her longing tears that wished to fall. She bit her bottom lips from her lips quivering. It was only her at the bus stop and a few cars passing by on the streets.

"Why are you crying?" She turned her head to the right and spotted Yonghwa sitting beside her, "Didn't you want to stay far away from me?" He smiled looking towards the streets.

"Yonghwa-ah," her small husky voice whispered his name.

"Ah," he pulled out a letter from the right side of his pocket clearing his throat first, "I have something to read to you." He held the letter right in front of himself, "Okay." He smiled as she stared at him.

To the one I let get away,

My lovely. My beautiful. Mine. Mine. Mine...well at least the one that used to be mine. These pills aren't helping me. It makes me realize how much I miss you. It makes me realize what a fool I was. It makes me realize I don't love her as much as I love you. I saw you today and you don't know how hard it was to just ask you that simple question. It was harder than the first time I asked you to be my girl. You must hate me so much to want to stay far away from me. I'm starting to feel dizzy...I love you. You know that...


"Yaa, miss." The bus drivers monotone voice shook Nicole up from her hallucination as she quickly stood up and got into the bus, "How are you?" He asked her as she slided her card first before heading to her usual spot.

"I'm okay, thank you. You?" She replied.

"Usual." He shut the bus door as he began driving.

She looked back to where she had been sitting. Surprisingly she saw Yonghwa sitting there once again waving bye to her. She knew she was seeing things and that he was gone already. It was her heart that missed him.

"Never again..." She closed her eyes and leaned her head back towards her seat, "I'll never fall in love again." The silence only grew thicker with only her and the bus driver.