Jerk

To See You Again

 

Chapter 14

Jinri stared at herself on the mirror, wondering how she would hide her puffy eyes. Last night was too much of an event for her that she cried herself to sleep. It was the first time she ever felt something special for someone. But she couldn’t understand why of all people, it’s Yunho—the husband of her sister—whom she fell in love with.

She was so sure it was not love at first sight. It was that second time she saw him when she felt something different. She couldn’t stop herself from staring at him. His smiles made her heart beat more than necessary. Every time his eyes emanated sadness, she always had the desire to hug him. But he was just too far for her to reach.

“Good morning, Jinri. How are you? I hope you’re feeling better now.” said Changmin in the message he sent to her.

Jinri smiled and thanked him for his thoughtfulness. Out of all the people in Yuri’s life, he was the one who was most accepting of her. he wouldn’t mind helping her out whenever she was having difficulties adjusting to her new found life. he was the one who would always cheer her up whenever she felt sad. Others also do their best to make her feel comfortable but it was Changmin who made greater efforts to make things easy for her.

After fixing herself, she decided to bring him food to the office. She was greeted by her secretary as she entered the left wing of the building. She knocked on the door but no one opened it. With that, she decided to open it herself.

“Hey, Min…” she stopped in the middle of her sentence when she found another man standing with his back facing her.

When he turned around, his lips curled into a smile. For the nth time, it made her weak.

“Hey, I see you’re visiting Minnie. Come in.” he said.

Jinri bowed her head and put the food on the mini kitchen of the office. She sat on the chair across the table of Changmin. She wanted to break the awkward slience but she couldn’t find the right words to say. He was back at staring outside, as if looking for something he couldn’t find.

“How are you?” he asked, still not facing her.

She sighed and soon regretted it. “I’m fine.”

This time, he finally looked at her. “What’s with the sigh? Is there something bothering you?”

Yes, you. She thought.

“Oh, nothing.”

“Are you sure?” he asked, slowly walking towards her.

“Yes.”

Right then and there, she saw the scratches on his neck. And the last night’s event came rushing back to her. Tears are threatening to fall again but she managed to hold them back. she needed to get out of the office but she didn’t know how. She wanted to run away from him, to forget him forever but she didn’t have the courage to do it. If there was one thing she was so sure of that time, she was a slave of her own feelings for a married man.

He took her chin and gazed at her softly. “what’s with the sad eyes?”

She looked away and stood up. she walked towards the windows and stared at the skyscrapers that seem to be so reachable now.
 

“How much do you love my sister?” she asked.

Yunho stood beside her and took a deep breath. “Beyond death. I love her beyond death, beyond life, beyond anything this world can offer.”

She looked at him and saw the sincerity of his words. And it pained her, it pained her to know that such a love would never be given to her. His heart will always be Yuri’s.

“Did you ever look at any woman besides her?”

This time, Yunho looked at her curiously but answered anyway. “No, never. In my world, there is only Yuri. My life revolves around her. She is my everything.”

She nodded but felt more pained than ever. “What do you feel whenever you see me?”

“To be honest, I felt uncomfortable the first few times we met but as time went by, I got used to your presence. I was able to look beyond the fact that you are Yul’s sister. I can now see the difference.”

“And what’s the difference?”

“You two are very independent. You never wanted to burden anyone. But you, Jinri, are more transparent than Yul. One can easily see your feelings but Yul is more mysterious. It takes someone who knows her well to actually know what she feels.” He explained.

She was about to say something when Changmin suddenly popped out of nowhere. He looked at them simultaneously, wondering what they’ve been talking about the whole time.

“What is…”

Yunho tapped his shoulders. “We were just talking about random stuff. By the way, I have the documents you need for the next meeting. They’re on your table.” He said and left the office.

Changmin looked at Jinri questionaingly. But Jinri didn’t give in and decided to divert the situation by preparing the maknae’s food.

“Yah! You can’t fool me with that. What happened?” he asked as he started to munch on the pizza she baked herself.

She smiled and took a bite. “Nothing. Like he said, we wer just talking about random stuff.”

Changmin gklared at her. “But you look sad.”

“I always look sad.”

“No. you’re keeping secrets from me now. it makes me sad.” He said and pouted his lips.

Jinri laughed and pinched his cheeks. “It’s nothing. Swear.”

But Changmin wasn’t convinced. He knew it was something more than random stuff. But he didn’t ask about it anymore. He knew she’d tell him when she’s ready. It was just not the right time.

***

“Yunho…Yunho…” Minho heard Yuri say in her sleep.

He would’ve thought it was her son she was dreaming about but there were tears flowing from her closed eyes. He came to her bed side and tried to wake her up. When she opened her eyes, she started sobbing.

“What happened?” he asked as he soothed her back.

Yuri didn’t answer and just kept on sobbing. She held her chest as if it was about to break. She was so lost that she couldn’t find words to explain what just happened to her.

“Minyoung?”

Yuri wiped her tears. “I saw him. I saw a man in my dreams. He looked sad. He looked miserable. I don’t know who he is but…” she wasn’t able to finish her sentence as she started crying again.

Minho felt her pain. He could see how much she was suffering from her meory lost. Every day was a struggle for her. he wanted to alleviate her burden but all he could do was stay by her side and make her feel that she is not alone in her battle.

And then he thought of something. it was next to impossible but he tried his luck.

“Minyoung, would you like to go to London with me?”

Yuri looked at her, as if questioning the legitimacy of his proposal. “Why would you…”

“I just thought it might help you think things through. You can bring baby Yunnie with you if you want.”

“But how long will we stay there?”

“For three years. And if within those years, your memory comes back, we will go back here in Korea.” He said.

Yuri was quiet for a moment. But when she smiled, Minho knew what her answer was.

 

***

“Are you sure about this?” Changmin asked for the nth time.

Jinri spanked him. “You’ve been asking the same question all day. Stop it already.”

Changmin sighed and rested his head on her shoulder. “I just can’t believe you’re going to US to study. I will feel alone without you.” He said childishly.

Jinri laughed and stuffed some more chips in his mouth. “Shut up, Shim. You can always go there if you want to.”

“Then I’ll go there every day.” He said and started tickling her.

Their laughter could be heard in the whole condominium of Changmin. They were just too absorbed in their own world that they didn’t notice Junsu, Jaejoong and Yunho’s presence. Once Jaejoong cleared his throat, they stopped, looking all embarrassed.

“Who knows what could have happened if we didn’t come.” Yunho said sarcastically and took a can of beer from the refrigerator.

“What the hell, hyung?! I am not that type of person, so is Jinri.”

Yunho smirked and sipped more beer from the can. Even Jaejoong, Junsu and Yoochun couldn’t understand what was happening to Yunho. Jinri, on the other hand, is more confused than ever.

What’s wrong with playing around with Minnie? She asked herself.

“I think I’ll get going.” She said and gathered her things. “Thank you for the time, Minnie.”

However, Yunho stood in front of her. “Why? Are you embarrassed now?”

Jinri clenched her fist as she felt anger slowly engulfing her. but she clamed herself and faced the monster that was Yunho. “No. it’s just that I can’t take your presence, JERK.”

Yunho’s eyes turned into slits. “JERK? How dare you…”

“Yes, I dare to call you a jerk because you are. You are a JERK!” she said and walked out of the place.

Yunho was pinned where he was while the others were still under the shock of what had just transpired. However, Changmin’s nagging broke the silence.

“You better go after her and say sorry, hyung. That was too much.”

“I think Minnie’s right.” Yoochun said.

Without a word, Yunho went after her. And there he saw her in front of the building, crying her heart out.