Chapter 32

What Happened to Us?

 

Author’s POV

 

“Don’t you dare hurt my umma.”

 

Tiffany remained silent after hearing such words from Jieun. She was thinking deeply on what to say though it wasn’t really a question. It was more of a threat. Jieun’s words pierced through her. Doubts filled her mind.

 

‘Should I tell Jessi?’ Tiffany thought.

 

Knowing the truth hurts. Believing a lie isn’t really different. Tiffany couldn’t promise that she won’t hurt Jessica anymore. Years ago, they promised each other to be best friends forever and that they will never leave each other. But promise is a big word and they were always meant to be broken.

 

“Unnie, you won’t hurt my umma. You just can’t!” Jieun added after hearing no reply from the older girl.

 

Tiffany Jieun’s hair gently. She couldn’t look at the hopeful kid in the eyes. It was funny how she was having this kind of conversation with a kid. It seemed like she was talking to an older person. Despite the intense stare that she received from Jieun, she remained calm. At least, that’s what it looks like on the outside. She smiled weakly at Jieun though it may seem inappropriate at the moment.

 

“You love your Sica umma very much. That’s good to know. You seemed very fond of her.” Tiffany said, finally finding words to say.

 

Jieun closed her eyes and if a passerby would look at them, it would seem like Jieun was comfortably taking a nap on Tiffany’s lap… with the addition of sleep talking.

 

“I do love her a lot. I love all of my umma. They have been really nice to me. They give me lots of gifts too.”

 

Tiffany chuckled at Jieun’s statement. She almost forgot that the person she was talking to is still a child.

 

“I see. They bribe with you gifts huh?” Tiffany teased.

 

Jieun’s eyes shot open and stared at the smug look on Tiffany’s face. Her cheeks turned red and her gaze shifted to her fidgeting fingers.

 

“A-aniyo. It’s not like t-that. I still love them… even if they don’t give me gifts.”

 

“I’d tell Jessi you said that.”

 

“NOOO!!!” Jieun screamed as she instantly sat up.

 

Tiffany was giggling from Jieun’s reaction. The kid was just too cute. The kid stared at the giggling Tiffany. Realizing what she just did, she lowered her head in embarrassment.

 

“I-I mean, my birthday is coming up soon. Sica umma si obliged to give me a gift. It’s only natural.”

 

“Okay.” Tiffany said, still grinning.

 

“Eh? That’s it?”

 

Tiffany nodded. Jieun narrowed her eyes at the older girl. She appears to be thinking deeply. Then she sighed. Tiffany got confused at the kid’s odd behavior.

 

“Fany unnie…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Do you love my umma?”

 

“Yes Jieun. I love her more than I love pink.”

 

“Really?”

 

Tiffany smiled and nodded.

 

“Are you sre?”

 

“Yup.”

 

“Do you mean it?”

 

“Yes Jieun-ah. I love your Sica umma.”

 

Jieun shrugged her shoulders and gazed at the ground. “I’m just making sure. I don’t ever want to see Sica umma to cry again.”

 

Jieun’s words raised Tiffany’s curiosity. She knows that Jessica isn’t the type of person to show signs of weakness; especially not to a child. Tiffany’s face became serious.

 

“You have seen your Sica cry before?”

 

Jieun nodded. The kid still had her gaze on the ground. She had her hands on each side, holding on the edge of the bench. Her legs were swinging back and forth. Her thoughts wandered to the past and she gladly shared it with Tiffany.

 

Flashback

 

A young man was driving a car. Everything was quiet until he heard a groaning sound from the backseat. He glanced at the rearview mirror and smiled.

 

“You’re finally awake, princess.”

 

The little girl rubbed her eyes and then looked out the window. “Are we there yet?”

 

“We are nearing. Don’t forget to behave yourself once we see her. Don’t worry. Your Aunt Sica will be very happy to see you.”

 

Little Jieun nodded excitedly. Her appa told her so many good things about Jessica. She had already met Nicole and Krystal and this will be the very first time that she would meet her last aunt. The other two were extremely kind to her so she expects Jessica to be just the same. After all, they are family.

 

While Jieun was busy daydreaming, Yonghwa let himself drown in his own bothering thoughts. One can see a mix of seriousness, anger and worry in his once gentle face. His precious cousin had a tendency to ‘act differently’ whenever the month of August approaches and this happened for three years straight. He was eager to make this year different. That’s the reason why he brought Jieun along. He figured that if Jessica meets Jieun, she would find some light in her life.

 

Soon enough, the car pulled to a stop when they reached a certain house. Yonghwa got off the car and headed to the door. Yonghwa had little Jieun in his arms after he pressed the doorbell. A minute had passed but no one opened the door. Yonghwa pressed the doorbell again but the same thing happened.

 

“Appa, we didn’t get the wrong house again, right?” Jieun said, eyeing her father. Yonghwa laughed nervously as he remembered what happened when they visited Nicole for the first time. It’s not a pleasant memory.

 

Yonghwa was about to bang the door when it suddenly opened and a person came out. The atmosphere immediately turned cold and gloomy. Yonghwa’s jaw dropped. Then the world was startled when a high-pitched scream was heard.

 

It turns out to be Jieun.

 

“Get away from me! Get away from me! Get away from me!” Jieun rapped while covering her eyes. She was shivering as she hid her face in Yonghwa’s neck.

 

Yonghwa rubbed his daughter’s back, trying to calm her down. “Hush. Everything’s alright, princess. She’s your Aunt Sica!”

 

“NO! IT’S A MONSTER!” The little girl screamed.

 

Yonghwa received a deadly glare from Jessica. The guy gulped his saliva. He can’t blame Jieun for her reaction. Jessica is a mess with the dark circles in her eyes, disheveled hair and messy clothes. Yonghwa came to a conclusion that she had been crying. Making his way inside, he switched the lights on and put his daughter on the couch. Yonghwa kneeled in front of the kid and tried to remove her tiny hands from covering her eyes but he failed. Sighing in defeat, he walked closer to the ‘monster’.

 

“Did you see what happened? You corrupted my daughter’s mind. Now, go fix yourself!” Yonghwa said as he pushed his cousin into the bathroom to freshen up. Feeling weak, Jessica complied but not without sending daggers to her favorite cousin. Yonghwa made his way to Jieun.

 

“Jieun-ah, the coast is clear. No more monsters.”

 

The little girl slowly removed her hands from her eyes. She gasped when she saw the full view of the living room. Yonghwa chuckled seeing the look on his daughter’s face.

 

“WOAH! Everything is so… pink.” Jieun was obviously amazed at the house’s interior. It was entirely different when you view it from the outside because it was painted white.

 

“Does Barbie live here?” Jieun asked her appa.

 

Yonghwa held his laughter. He ruffled his daughter’s hair and said, “No silly girl. A sleeping princess does.”

 

Jieun frowned. “But Aunt Sica looks nothing like a princess…”

 

As if on cue, Jessica appeared. This time, she looked human… though her eyes still looked tired from all the crying. Jessica ignored her niece’s remark.

 

“Are you guys hungry? I can cook something if you want.”

 

Hearing the word ‘cook’ coming from Jessica’s mouth, Yonghwa snapped out of his trance and scrambled to his feet.

 

“I’ll make the food. Go on Sica. Spend some time with Jieun. Convince her that you’re not a monster who can transform into human.”

 

Before Jessica could grab and throw anything at him, Yonghwa disappeared into the kitchen. Exhaling deeply, Jessica gazed at the younger Jung. The latter did not budge at Jessica’s gaze. Jieun stared as Jessica sat beside her on the couch.

 

“I didn’t know monsters love pink too.”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes hearing the kid. Her gaze shifted to the pink walls. She kept silent as she was not in the mood to argue with a child.

 

Seeing that Jessica was just staring blankly, Jieun became more curious about her. Though many questions lingered in her head, she didn’t push it. At such a very young age, she tried so hard to understand Jessica’s situation though she knew nothing of it. What she did next surprised the older Jung.

 

Jieun laid in the couch with her head resting on Jessica’s lap. Closing her eyes, she remembered her mother’s final words.

 

“It’s okay not to be okay.”

 

After saying those words Jieun drifted to her dreamland instantly. Jessica could only stare at the kid. Soon, her lips formed a sincere smile.

 

‘I guess this year would be different after all.’

 

End of Flashback

 

Jieun smiled dreamily as she finished off her story. On the other hand, Tiffany looked at her in disbelief.

 

“I thought you saw her cry. You said so.”

 

Jieun shrugged her shoulders. “That’s technically true but what I saw was far worse than just crying. Sica umma was so different back then. She was totally lifeless. She looked just like appa when my umma left us. It was horrible.”

 

Although Jieun didn’t say it, Tiffany had a certain feeling that it was her fault why Jessica became like that. Once again, guilt crept up inside her and it made breathing more difficult. She had no idea that Jessica went through a lot when she was still with Yuri.

 

Jieun got off the bench and started walking but she stopped for a moment and turned around.

 

“What I’m trying to say is simple, unnie. From what I can see, you are Sica umma’s life now. Leave her and she’ll die.”

 

The two stared at each other for a while. Getting what the kid meant, Tiffany smiled widely as her eyes disappeared.

 

“I will never leave her. Jessica will always be mine. You can count on that.”

 

Jieun nodded her head. Her lips formed a sweet smile. She walked to Tiffany and grabbed her hand. “Let’s go, Fany umma! I want my ice cream!” The kid whined.

 

Tiffany blushed upon hearing Jieun’s new endearment for her. Without a question, she felt happy. She let Jieun drag her towards where Jessica should be but the both of them stopped abruptly when they found Jessica talking to someone.

 

Jessica had her back facing them and she was blocking the face of whoever she was talking to. Tiffany and Jieun had no idea who it was until Jieun let go of Tiffany’s hand to take a closer look. Her eyes widened and opened as she saw a familiar figure.

 

“Taeng unnie!” 

 


A/N: TAENG??? What are you doing in Jeju??? Lol.

This is probably th longest chapter so far. This is to compensate for last chapter's shortness. Also for my mistake of labeling it as Rated M. I was a pabo! Lol.

Leave some comments! Thanks for the new subscribers.

P.S: I shouldn't have made that poll. Anyway, do you still want some in this fic? I can try but it won't be good. Hah!