A New Beginning

It's Painful to Forget

Attention!!! Read this before you go on!!

I have changed the setting from California to Korea!!!

It makes the story less confusing later on...  you'll soon see why I changed it!!

More info at the end of the chap!

   You snapped out of the flashback, breathing hard.  Your hand is still clutching your heart.  Julia had jumped out of her seat the moment the flashback began and had her arms gripping your chair when you snapped out of it.

   You realize everyone's staring at you and you look up.  Junhyung is staring at you with clear concern.

   "Well, how do you feel?"

   You blink.  "Fine, really.  Hyunseung was my bestfriend.  The past is the past."  Despite this, you can still hear your heart beating quickly.

   Yoseob leans towards you.  "You remember anything?"

   You shake your head.  "Nope.  The only memory was of my last day with him before he left."

   Hyunseung winces.  Everyone else just groans.

   "God, that ,"  Dujun says.  "Out of all days."

   Silence.

   "What're we gonna do now?" Dongwoon asks to no one in particular.

   You shrug.  "We can start over, I guess.  It's the only other option."  You turn to Hyunseung and hold your hand out.  "Hi there.  My name's _____.  Nice to meet you."

   Hyunseung smiles shyly and shakes your hand.  "Nice to meet you.  I'm Hyunseung."

   You pause before you speak.  "I hope-- we can become friends again." 

   Julia, who's still standing behind you, leans right over the handshake.

   "This," she whispers.  "is so.  Cute!!"  she ends with a squeal and runs around the table in circles before jumping back into her own seat next to Yoseob.

   The waitress comes to ask for your order.

   Both Julia and Yoseob order Kimchi Ramen, which they both find funny.  Dongwoon orders Pepper Crab, one of the few items that aren't ramen, and Gikwang freaks out about what to order so much that he ends up sharing with Dongwoon.  Hyunseung orders Kimchi Ramen with chicken on the side.

   What?  You think.  That's exactly what I always order.  You love kimchi ramen and chicken, but you put the chicken on the side because you don't want it soaked in the ramen.  I wonder if I should order something different, you consider.

   When the waitress comes to you, you reluctantly order kimchi ramen--- with chicken on the side.  Hyunseung glances at you in disbelief.  Then he smiles.

   "It would just cost less to share, right?"

   You start to shrug when you have another flashback.

 

  You're at a restaurant with your family.  Hyunseung and his family are there as well.  

   While you're deciding what to get, Hyunseung looks at your menu.

   "What're you gonna get?"

   You stare at your menu.  "Probably Kimchi ramen....with... chicken on the side."

   Hyunseung smiles.  "I'm gonna get that too.  You wanna just share one?"

   You smile.  "Yeah!"

 

  You snapped out of it and look at Hyunseung.  He didn't seem to notice.  You answer him.

   "I have a big appetite, so I probably would finish an entire bowl and still be hungry.  There wouldn't be enough for you to eat."

   "Oh.  Okay, then."  Hyunseung blushes and turns away.

   Julia, who was ranting furiously about something to Yoseob, stops in midsentence and whispers urgently into Yoseob's ear.

   Yoseob laughs and contains himself before he nudges you with his elbow.  He leans in towards you so that no one else will hear.

   "Aww," he whispers, a smirk on his face.  "Why'd you reject the poor boy?"

   You blush.  "Wha- what do you mean?!  I didn't reject him!  I really do eat a lot!"

   "You just think it's too embarrassing to split a bowl of ramen."  he says.  "Girl, you way too self conscious--"

   "Shut up!!!!"  But you can't help but smile when you push a laughing Yoseob away.

   The food finally arrives and you all dig in.  While you're dipping your chicken in your ramen, Yoseob intercepts and swipes some chicken off your plate.

   You glare at him.  "Hey-- what--- gimme back my chicken!"

   Yoseob puts the chicken in his mouth before you can stop him.  "Too late,"  he says, his mouth full.

   You sigh, and turn away.  "Babo."

   Yoseob stares at you in surprise.  "That's the only punishment I get?  I usually get hit or something."  he pauses.  "You really are like Hyunseung."

   You whip your head  towards him in shock and confusion.  "What?" you tilt your head.

   As if on cue, Hyunseung pokes you on the shoulder.  He holds up his own plate of chicken.

   "You want some?"  he offers.  "He always takes my food, so I know how you feel."

   You blink, before you smile gratefully.

   "Yeah, thank you."  You take a few pieces before refusing anymore.

   Hyunseung puts the plate down, a look of satisfaction on his face.

   Julia pokes you from behind Yoseob's chair and puts two thumbs up.  "Ba-bum~!  Good job!"

   You roll your eyes before you finish eating.  

   After everyone finishes eating, you take out your wallet to pay the bill.  Dujun stops you.

   "No no!  Our treat!"  he says with determination.

   You stare open-mouthed in disbelief.  "But what--"

   "No--- shh!  It's out treat.  We invited you."  he says a little more softly.

   You start to argue some more when you give up completely.  "But the---okay."

   Dujun pats your head.  "Good girl."

   You glare at him while he pays the bill.

~~

   You, Julia, and BEAST walk outside and stretch.

   "Ohhh my god the food was soooo good!!!"  Yoseob exclaims while stretching his back.

   "But I didn't get enough to eat,"  Dongwoon pouts and glares at Gikwang.

   Gikwang shrugs apologetically.  "Mianhae,  I have no excuse for that."

   Dujun walks over to the curb, turns to everyone else and puts his hands in his pockets.  "So where are we going now?"

   "Karaoke!"  Gikwang and Julia yell out.

   "Beach!"  Dongwoon suggests.

   "Aquarium!"  

   "Movie Theater!"

   "That big park over there!"

   "FOOD COURT!!!"  Yoseob yells out.

   Everyone stares at him.  "We just ate, Yoseob,"  Junhyung reminds him.

   "Oh yeah, huh?"  Yoseob scratches his head as if he just remembered.

   You bring up another choice.  "How about..."

   "an Amusement Park!"  you and another person exclaim, and you swing your head around looking for the other person who joined in with you.  You see Hyunseung staring at you, surprise spreading across his face.

   Everyone suddenly breaks into laughter.  Except you and Hyunseung, who are looking down at everyone in confusion.

   "You two,"  Yoseob breathes between laughter.  "are so...alike it's...funny...if not scary."

   Julia's already crouching on the floor, her hair covering her face, but it was obvious she was laughing.

   "But,"  Dongwoon wipes a tear away with his finger.  "an amusement park is a good idea."  

   Everyone who contained themselves nods in agreement.

   You point your hand in the air.  "To the amusement park!!"  You yell and run a few steps before stumbling.  "Um...well...how are we gonna get there again? My car's like way too small..."

   Dujun points to a Chevy Dodge in the corner of the lot.

   "You can leave your care here.  We'll drop you off here later.  We'll take the company car."

   "How many does it fit?"

   "8."

   "Perfect!!"  Julia squeals.

   Everyone hops into the car and Dujun starts driving.  Sitting with him in the front is Junhyung, in the middle is Julia, Dongwoon, and Gikwang.  You sit in the back with Yoseob and Hyunseung on either side of you.

   Everyone sits quietly.  Very quietly.

   Yoseob hunches his shoulders.  "It's so quiet."

   Hyunseung nods in agreement and takes out his phone.

   "This music will break the silence."

   He starts the music, and a girly tune comes up.  Julia whips her head around.

   "Gee!"

   "Gee what?"  You look at her questioningly.

   "No no!  Gee, the song!"  Julia explains.  "I actually don't like Girl's Generation that much, but this one of the few songs I love!"

   Julia starts dancing in her seat, and you look to see Yoseob doing an all-out dance, waving his hands and what-not.  Hyunseung's humming and moving his shoulders to the rhythm.  You find yourself tapping your foot and nodding your head to the song.  Julia catches you, and squeals.

   "Ohhhh!  You like the song!  Are you finally becoming a k-pop fan?!"

   You stop tapping abruptly.  "What's this tapping you're speaking of?"  You tilt your head innocently.

   She makes a pouting face and sticks her tongue out before turning away.  

   Yoseob grabs your arms and waves them around.

   "Dance, _____!  Dance!"

   You stare at him and struggle to yank your arms away.  "No!  No!  What're you doing?!"

   "Dance, _____!  Dance like me!"

   You stare at his little dance.  "You want me to dance like a -a-monkey?!"

   Everyone starts laughing, and Yoseob stops in mid-dance.

   Yoseob makes an injured face.  "Now that's just mean."

   "But it's true!  You should have seen yourself!  Hilarious!"  Dongwoon bangs on his armrest.

   Since dancing to the song backfired, everyone sings to the chorus instead until you get to the amusement park.

   As everyone piles out of the car, Julia stretches.

   "What amusement park is this?"

   "Everland.  It's pretty popular, although we've never been."  Dujun answers.

   Julia's eyes widen.  "Everland?!  I've heard of this place!  Dude, it's legendary! I've always wanted to go--!!!"

   You roll your eyes.  "You just wanted to go really badly.  That's what made it legendary."  Then you point at all of BEAST.  "You pay for your passes, and Julia and I will pay for our own."

   Dujun shakes his head and points to himself.  "I will pay for all---"

   "NO!  You got your way at the restaurant, so I get my way now!"  you stamp your foot on the ground.  "If you paid for us that would be what--- 74,000 won more!!  You know how much that is?!"

   Dujun backs aways as if you were giving off smoke.  "Okay, okay!  You win!  Sorry!"

   You give a triumphant smile before walking towards the entrance.  Everyone pays for their own passes, and you are the first person to walk through the gateway.  

   Your mouth drops open in awe.  "Whoooaaahhh!"

   You stare at the wide variety of buildings, all built in their own individual design.  There's a huge billboard advertising Pororo 3D Adventure, and along with specially designed buildings was an absolutely adorable bakery and candy store called Cookie and Candy, and a bunch of special cultural restaurants.

   Yoseob puts his hand to his cheeks.  "Oh my god we have to come here for dinner!"

   Dongwoon catches Hyunseung inching towards Cookie and Candy.

   "A-ah- Hyunseung!  Where do you think you're going?"

   Hyunseung stops in mid-scoot.  "I uh, well..."  he blushes and stands straighter.  "I like junk food, okay, you should know that!"

   Your hand twitches.

 

   "Hyunseung!  Where are you going?"

  A 14 year old Hyunseung turns around to see a 12 year old version of yourself, with your hands on your hips.

  Hyunseung seems to realize he's inching towards the ice-cream stand.  "I, well, ah..."  he stutters.  Then he stands up straighter and juts his chin out.  "I like junk food, okay, you should know that, _____!"

  You start laughing.  "I do know that, Seungie.  Just share with me when you buy some, 'kay?"

 

   You blink a few times before you can see clearly again.  You look at everyone and you realize barely any time passed.  Dongwoon is still replying to Hyunseung.

   "Of course I know that, hyung!  I've known you long enough!"

   You walk over and bump Hyunseung on the shoulder.  "Share with me when you buy some, okay?"

   Hyunseung stares at you wide-eyes.  You start to wonder if he remembers it too.  Then he smiles, a smile that seems almost as bright as the sun.  "Of course I will!"

   Dongwoon looks from you to Hyunseung and smiles.  "I see a connection here...~"

   Hyunseung suddenly blushs and whacks Dongwoon on the shoulder.  Dongwoon runs away screaming, with Hyunseung close behind him.

   Julia scoots over to you.  "I witnessed that epicness."

   You nod as if you don't care.  "He blushes a lot, doesn't he?"

   Julia smiles mischievously.  "Maybe it's because he's with you."

   You blush yourself and glare at Julia angrily.  "How would you know that?"

   Julia puts her hands on her hips.  "I know everything,"  she says, and does her independent eyebrow wiggle, which few other people can do."You see, I'm Jewia."

   You shake your head in confusion.  "Jewia?!"

   "My nickname I gave myself 10 seconds ago."  she replies with a proud smile.  "I've never had a nickname before.  Besides, my friends in junior high used to call me that as an 'insult'.  I don't know why they did, but it sounds cool."

   Yoseob comes over and puts a hand on Julia's shoulder.  "So Jewia," he says, exaggerating the "Jewia".  "Where you wanna go first?"

   Julia smile, her face flushed with excitement , and points at you.  "Wherever _____ wants to go!  'Cause if you made me choose I'd run over to Cookie and Candy right now!"

   You walk over to the Directory and grab a small map of the park.  "We just ate, so..."  you start talking to yourslef.  "Dragon Coaster!"  you exclaim.  "Let's go on the Dragon Coaster!  We won't get sick right?"

   Everyone who heard you nods in agreement.

   "Onward, march!"  Julia salutes and starts marching, with Yoseob marching next to her and everyone else walking behind them. 

   It took about 20 minutes until you actually got to the ride because everyone kept getting distracted.  Every few steps someone would have to stop and stare at a building or have to take a picture. (Julia took about 50 pictures or so in those 20 minutes).

   When you got there you were quite relieved to see that the line was short --- just a 10 to 15 minutes wait.  while you guys were waiting in line people kept staring at you --- not because BEAST was there (they didn't recognize BEAST), but because everyone was so obnoxious.

   "Yang Yoseob!  Gimme back my phone!"  Dujun yells as Yoseob swipes the phone out of Dujun's hands. 

   "Nope!  Never!  You were trying to take a selca just now, weren't you?!"  Yoseob holds the phone to his chest and turns away.  

   "What's so bad about taking selcas?!  Give it!"

   "You take way too many.  You're not even that good at it!"

   Dujun's face turns red with embarrassment.  "Why you---" 

   Yoseob and Dujun break into an all-out cat fight.

   While Junhyung seems to be very interested in staring at the sky, Donwoon is attempting to lean on the chains that make up the lines and almost falls over.  Julia runs over to help him up and they both end up tripping over the chain.  Gikwang just stands there laughing and holding his sides.

   You and Hyunseung are standing there awkwardly, shifting from foot to foot.  Then you stretch your back.

   "Oh, god, my back hurts."

   Hyunseung glances at you.  "Are you one of those people that have their back aching instead of your feet hurting when you stand in line?"

   You look at him curiously.  "Yeah.  why?"

   Hyunseung smiles.  "I'm like that too."  he hesitates.  "Is it okay if.... I tell you something from when we were little?"

   You smile.  "Sure.  Maybe I'll even remember it."

   He takes a deep breath.  "When we were little, we used to go to parks like this in California.  But the lines that we waited in would last so long --- an hour's wait was considered normal.  When our backs started to ache from standing, we would lean against each other, back to back, and that acted like wall that you could rest on."

   He turned his gaze away from the sky and his eyes rested on you.  "Do you remember that?"

   You didn't remember it.  Not even a hint of a flashback came.

   Instead of answering though, you continued to look into his eyes.  He look so relaxed, with a bit of an eye smile, yet through that soft expression, you could see that there was pain beyond that smile.  Pain.  Hope.  Longing.

   Longing?  You question yourself and shake your head to make sure you're thinking clearly.

   Hyunseung seems to think of your head shake as a no.   "That's too bad," he says.

   Right after he finished his sentence, you were finally in the front of the line.  As the workers let you into the ride, you dash forward gratefully and pounce into the front seat, where the head of the dragon is.  You quickly motion for Julia to take to seat next to you.

   The ride was pretty exhiliarating, and you actually almost got sick.  Okay, you did get sick.  And you get off the ride regretting how you ate all that food earlier.  Julia wasn't affected.  At all.

   "Yaaaayyyy!  that was fun!  More rides, more rides!"  Julia squeals right when you step off.

   "The only person that got sick is _____ right?"  Dujun checks.  He turns towards you.  "And I don't think you're gonna get sick again.  You're not that green in the face anymore."

   It's true.  You didn't feel as sick as when you were actually on the ride.  You look up at Dujun.  "It's actually possible to turn green?"

   He waves it aside.  "I'm exaggerating.  Let's go."

   The next thing you go on is the Lily Dance.  The group was split into 2 groups of 4:  Dujun, Junhyung, Dongwoon, and Gikwang sat in 1 lily while you, Julia, Yoseob and Hyunseung sat in the other.  After the ride you and Julia kept bumping into each other so much that you fall over from the dizziness.  When Julia and Hyunseung race over to help you up, Yoseob goes and sits on you.

   You snap out of your dizziness instantly.  "Ahhh!  Yoseob get off.  OFF!!"

   Yoseob crosses his arms and juts his chin out.  "I feel so powerful!!"  Then  Hyunseung helps you sit up and Yoseob falls over.

   You keep going on ride after ride:  Double Rock Spin, Hurricane, Let's Twist.  Soon it's 5:30 in the evening and you want to go on one more ride.  Everyone decides to go on the big finale: Rolling XTrain.  Everyone's so excited---except for Hyunseung.  He seems nervous.  

   The lines are even more shorter now that it's almost dark out.  Somehow Hyunseung is even more nervous when you are at the front of the line.

   You poke him on the side of his head.  "Yo.  What's the matter?"

   HYunseung bites his nails.  "This seems pathetic, but I'm scared of heights.  Like, really scared.  Of heights."

   You're about to ask why because there's no drop.  But you pause.

 

  "Seungie?  Why are you shaking?"  You pull on the edge of Hyunseung's shirt.

  He glances at you nervously.  "I-I'm-I'm kinda scared... of heights."

  You blink once.  Twice.  Then you move your hand from his shirt to his hand.  "It's okay.  I'm here.  So don't be scared, okay?"

  Hyunseung stares at you in disbelief.  "Are you saying this because I protected you from those wasps yesterday?"

  You smile.  "Partly.  But it's mostly because you're my friend, Seungie.  We're supposed to be there for each other.  Like you are for me."

 

  You snap out of the flashback.  You know barely any time passed, so you act like nothing happened.

   "That's fine.  You can sit next to me.  So don't be scared!"

   He stares at you, and smiles.  "You remember that, don't you?"

   You shrug.  "Just that one part."

   "it's better than nothing."

   You get on the ride and you make sure that Hyunseung sits next to you.  The ride starts, and you begin to escalate.  Hyunseung looks left to right, and looks down.  

   "Crap.  Crap.  I'm scared.  So high..."

   You roll your eyes.  "There's not even a drop, Hyunseung.  Calm down.  We're not gonna die."

   Then the ride slides down a few feet and the ride starts getting faster.  You smile really big, and excitement fills your eyes.

   You can hears Julia screaming behind you.

   "OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD I'M GONNA DIE!!"

   When the ride ends you turn and look at Julia, who's sitting behind you.  "Did you die yet?"

   Her face is red, her eyes wide.  "About 7 times."

   You laugh and step off the ride.  You wait for Hyunseung.

   You smile.  "Did you die too?"

   He looks shocked.  "I'm not that sure."

   "Well did you like it?"

   He gulps.  "I'm not sure about that either."

   "Well what are you sure about?"

   He looks up at you. "I'm hungry.  I'm absolutely sure about that."

   Yoseob runs out of nowhere and swings his arms around you and Hyunseung.  "DINNERTIME!!" he yells, and runs ahead.

   Junhyung yells after him.  "Where are you going?!"

   Yoseob looks back, and smiles.  "Cookie and Candy!"

   Gikwang chases after Yoseob.  "Oh no you're not---We're gonna have real food for dinner!"

   Everyone except Yoseob decides to go to the Venezian restaurant in Global Fair.

   Your first thoughts when you bit into your hamburger steak: this tastes...interesting?!

  Everyone still prefers ramen, even Gikwang, who doesn't eat ramen very much.

~~

   You exit Everland at around 7:00.  Everyone silently piles into the car.  Everyone seems too tired to talk.

   About halfway back to the ramen shop where you own car is, Julia turns to Yoseob.

   "Um...is it okay if I could have your number? And everyone else's too?  Because, well I know that _____ and I aren't just fans,"  Julia gives you a little eyebrow twitch.

   You shrug.  "I did say that I was going to get to know Hyunseung better, didn't I?"

   Everyone starts to exchange their numbers with you and Julia.  Hyunseung gives you his number after you got everyone else's numbers.

   "I still have your number."  he says when you're about to give him your number.  "You still have the same number after nine years.  Why is that?"

   You start to shrug and you stop because you realize you shrug too much.  "I transferred the number from phone to phone."

   "Oh.  Well I'm lucky you did that then."

   You get to the parking lot where your car is parked and you and Julia hop off.

   Before you walk to your car, everyone says goodbye.

   "We'll have to hang out sometime soon."  Dujun mentions to you.

   Dongwoon smiles.  "After all, we have 'connections'!"

   Everyone stares at Hyunseung as he blushes angrily.

   You and Julia say your final goodbyes and walk towards the car.  By the time Julia starts the car, BEAST already left.

   Julia smiles.  "I had so much fun today.  Didn't you?"

   You nod.  "I learned something new today."

   Julia nods as well.  "We both did."

   Julia pauses for a few long seconds before she continues again.  

   "Thank you, _____."  Julia whispers.  "I got to meet Yoseob today, and I may even get a chance to see him again.  All because of you.  I love you, _____."  Not because of your connections, but because you're my friend and you're always there to make me happy.  Thank you."

   You nod, and feel tears welling up in your eyes.  "I'm grateful for that."

   You get to your house and Julia runs to her room the moment she unlocks the door.  You follow in after her and close the door.  You look up at the ceiling and sigh.

   This could be a start of a new beginning.

 

Sorry for the confusion, but due to inconveniences in the story, I'm changing the setting to Seoul, Korea.

Background story: 5 years after Hyunseung left, you moved to Korea because it was

your parents' home country.  You completely forgot Hyunseung by then.

If you check the first chapter, you will see that I changed "UCLA" to "Seoul University"

   Anyway thank you for dealing with this---and dealing with me :P ^^

OHOHOHOHOH!! AND KITANA MADE THIS LOVELY POSTER FOR ME THAT YOU HAVE SEEN~~

I HAVE JUST UPDATED IT ON.  

THANK YOU THANK YOU KITANA!!! <3<3<3