Freedom

Wedding bells

Hyuna slowly opened her eyes. She saw a white ceiling with a bright light shining that she was not familiar with. Her whole body felt sore and she could also feel that she was tucked in a blanket tightly. She squinted her eyes, aiming for a better view of her surroundings. It felt like forever since she was awake. It didn't look anything like how a room in Himchan's house would. In fact, it didn't look like a normal room at all. She felt her stomach growling loudly and opened involuntarily. A cold rush of air seemed to flow into and she also realized how dry it felt.

 

A woman that she did not recognize came to her side and Hyuna could see her face hovering right above her own. The woman was wearing some sort of labcoat with a stethoscope hanging around her neck. Hyuna flanced at the tag on her coat and it read, "Doctor Kim".

 

"This must be a hospital," she thought to herself. She let out a tiny sigh of relief that she was no longer trapped in Himchan's house. 

 

The doctor inspected her and asked, "How do you feel?"

 

Hyuna opened to reply but was too dry. So, instead of a proper reply, she croaked out a mere word, "water." The doctor nodded and instructed one of the nurses to bring by a pitcher of water and a cup. Hyuna looked around the room once more as the doctor wrote down details on her clipboard.

 

"It's wonderful that you're awake now," the doctor said to Hyuna, giving her a warm smile.

 

"Awake now," the doctor's words stirred in her head. Had she been in a coma? Hyuna cocked her head to the side in confusion. How long had she been asleep? All she remembered was that she got hit by a car. She could still even remember the ride in the ambulance to the hospital. It didn't seem like she had any severe injuries. How could she have been in a coma?

 

The doctor slightly chuckled when she saw the expression on Hyuna's face. "You must be wondering what I'm talking about," she said, "Usually patients who just wake up from a coma don't remember the events that happened right before they passed out."

 

A nurse came by Hyuna's bed with some water and Hyuna greedily drank the whole glass. The nurse started refilling her glass as the doctor continued speaking, "You were involved in an accident. A man drove his car and hit you. There wasn't very much serious injuries on your body but you suffered from a minor concussion and out in the ambulance from shock."

 

Hyuna's eyes widened and gulped down the remaining water in her glass to avoid choking herself. "W-what?" She finally managed to say after clearing .

 

"It has been about two weeks since you were admitted. I don't really know if I should tell you this but-"

 

"Where's Daehyun?" Hyuna asked quickly.

 

The doctor furrowed her brows and began speaking again, "That's the problem. You've haven't had any visitors in the whole two weeks of your unconscious state. When you were first admitted, there were two men who came by to see you. Both of them claimed to be your husband and demanded to be let in your room. None of the hospital staff agreed because... well, they weren't exactly a very pleasant sight."

 

"What do you mean by that?" Hyuna asked, a little bit disgusted.

 

"Both of them... whatever their names were... their faces were heavily bruised and bloody. Their clothes were stained with blood," the doctor shook her head as she spoke, "One of the nurses offered help and asked them to sit down. One of them seemed so weak that he was about to collapse so he accepted the offer. But the other one didn't seem very happy. He just started throwing punches that the weak guy."

 

Hyuna gasped. The "weak guy" must have been Daehyun. From what she knew, Daehyun and herself barely ate anymore. Daehyun's condition was even worse than hers because he was the one who got physically abused by Himchan until he never had an apetite to eat anything anymore. "What happened to him?" Hyuna asked, her voice was trembling as she fought back the urge to burst out into tears.

 

"The weaker one fell on the ground and started vomitting blood. The paramedics separated both of them immediately. From what I've heard, the weaker one is in his own ward in the Intensive Care Unit while the other one... I'm not quite sure..." the doctor told her, "but a few days ago, he went to the information center and raged because he wanted to see you. He was really angry that you were still in a coma. He even requested to bring you home so that you could be more comfortable. But we obviously rejected that suggestion."

 

Hyuna couldn't hold in her tears any longer and burst out sobbing. After all that she went through, to find out that Himchan was still not arrested and still after her. And what's worse is that Daehyun was also admitted to the hospital and in the ICU. Doctor Kim went closer to her and put a comforting hand on her back. "How is the other weaker one doing?" Hyuna weeped.

 

"I'm not quite sure," the doctor said to her, "I will try to find out as much information about his condition for you. Don't cry, you need to get more rest. If you want anything you can just press the button here and ask for a nurse. Don't hesitate to call us if you need anything."

 

Hyuna nodded and wiped her tears with the back of her hand. She closed her eyes and prayed that everything would miraculously turn out well.....