Day 3: Family Ties

Wedding bells

"Wow, Himchan, this neighbour is very beautiful! I can't wait to see what the inside of your house looks like," Himchan's aunt said before stepping into his house. 

 

Himchan's "distant relatives" arrived at the airport this morning and he just went to the airport to pick them up. On the way home, he told them all about his new life as a matured, married man; which was all fake but his relatives had no clue. He opened the door and led them into the house.

 

"That fireplace is pretty impressive!" Himchan's uncle pointed out. His aunt and uncle looked around the house, impressed with what they were seeing. They've heard the news about Himchan a few years ago and they're quite surprised that he had managed to clean up all his acts. 

 

"Hyuna, honeypie!" Himchan called up the stairs, "My relatives are here already. Come down, they really wanna meet you!"

 

"Hyuna... hm... oh yeah! That's your new wife, isn't she?" Himchan's aunt asked him, her eyes glistening with joy and pride. She felt happy that Himchan was finally able to find someone for himself.

 

"Yup, and I've never been happier with her. She brings so much happiness into my life every single day, I don't know how she does is," Himchan said, "Ah, here she is! Come here, Hyuna. This is my aunt and uncle. Say hi!"

 

Hyuna forced a smiled with all her might and took a step towards them. She held out her hand and introduced herself whilst telling herself inside to remain as calm as possible. "You look so lovely, Hyuna darling! When did the two of you even get married? This sneaky little Himchan didn't tell us anything!" Himchan's aunt said.

 

"Uh..." Hyuna stuttered. She had no idea what to say and her mind wasn't really cooperating with her either.

 

"We got married last spring!" Himchan suddenly popped out, "It was a wonderful small wedding by the beach. You know those low-key kinds which you see in the movies all the times? And then after the ceremony, all of us danced, made small talk, ate orderves. It was wonderful!"

 

"Aww, that sounds so cute! Why didn't you call us, darling? We would've gladly bought a ticket and flew here if we knew!" Himchan's aunt replied, "You know you're my favourite nephew, right?"

 

"Yes, auntie, I know I'm your favourite nephew. But at that time, I wasn't even sure if any of you guys still wanted to speak to me," Himchan feigned sadness, "but Hyuna here," he put his arm around her shoulder, "she healed me, so much. She made me realize the real me. She brought me out of my comfort zone and told me that everything was going to be okay. How can I not marry this beautiful, smart girl?" 

 

Hyuna stiffened up at the contact and bit her lip to avoid screaming. Himchan planted a kiss on her cheek after describing what "she has done for him". She turned pale instantly and felt light-headed. Himchan had no idea how much Hyuna wanted to chop his head off. She just wanted to go home with Daehyun safe and sound and be unbothered by Himchan for the rest of their lives. Is that too much to ask?

 

Apparently it was.

 

Himchan escorted all of them to the dining room. Himchan had already set up the table and prepared lunch earlier. Daehyun was just there standing awkwardly at the corner of the room because his legs hurt like hell from all the physical abuse and because he had no idea what else to do.

 

"And who is this?" Himchan's uncle asked, gesturing towards Daehyun politely.

 

"That's just my butler, Daehyun," Himchan said, not even taking a second glance at Daehyun, "He's not very good at his job. Honestly, the only reason why he's still here is because... well... let's just say he has a very hard life at home and I wouldn't want him to be on the streets."

 

"Oh..." Himchan's aunt looked at Daehyun and gave him a symphathetic smile. The four of them proceeded to sit down and have lunch.

 

"So, Hyuna and Himchan, when do you plan on having children? You know I'm very excited to get new grand-nieces and nephews, right?" Himchan's uncle gave Hyuna a friendly smile which sent chills down her spine, "I love children! If you two are too busy with work or anything, we would be glad to fly over and help you guys out!"

 

"Yes! I couldn't agree more," Himchan's aunt gushed, "I can't wait to see little babies crying and then soon they'll be able to walk and run around. Ah, the chaos that they're going to cause... hm... I miss taking care of little children," she reminisced, "You know, if you two are too busy with work, we could just rent a small house in this neighbourhood, you know? We can help you out with everything and we can get closer!"

 

"N-no! That wouldn't be necessary," Hyuna said quickly, "although that is very nice of you to offer."

 

"Why not?" Himchan's aunt exclaimed, "Your uncle and I are perfectly fine with it! Both of us are retired and we have a huge sum of money because we've been saving for years. I think it's the perfect time to spend some of that money on a house here in Korea!"

 

"Exactly!" His uncle agreed, "Maybe instead of just renting a house, we could buy one! I'm pretty sure our savings can cover up to like... let's say ten houses? We could even get a minivan and go out with the whole family on the weekends! This is going to be so great!"

 

Hyuna shook her head continuously. No way in hell was she going to have Himchan's babies. She didn't even want anything to do with him. She couldn't exactly just burst out screaming at his aunt and uncle either because that would just be too rude. "Thank god Daehyun isn't here to listen to this conversation." Hyuna thought to herself.

 

"Actually, auntie and uncle, I think your plans are great!" Himchan said, "I really love children as well. I mean, who can resist babies, right? Their cute, chubby cheeks... soft skin... big round eyes. Oh, I love looking at pictures of them so much, I wish I could have one right now."

 

"You wish," Hyuna scoffed bitterly.

 

"Now what's with that negative attitude, Hyuna?" Himchan's aunt asked, "You shouldn't think like that! Children are a blessing! No matter how much trouble they cause you. One of the greatest gifts on earth is being able to have a child of your own, to nurture him or her and to raise them up as well as you can. If Himchan wants a child right now, you two better get working on it as soon as possible!"

 

"No, thank you..." Hyuna said silently and no one heard her.

 

"She's completely right! When Himchan was a little kid, he was such a brat. We used to come visit every summer because we still had to go to work and everytime we came around, he would be screaming his head off and chasing the family dog around. Good times... good times..." Himchan's uncle said, "I hope we can hape great memories of you two and your future child. Just minus the part where he or she chases your pets around. That would be so wonderful."

 

"Would you like some punch?" Daehyun asked Himchan sarcastically while holding up the pitcher of drink.

 

"Oh, yes please. I really like this type of fruit punch," Himchan told the guests, "I just bought it at the supermarket yesterday and it is absolutely perfect! Watermelon with a pinch of dragonfruit, yum!"

 

Daehyun gave Himchan a smug look and poured the drink into his glass while managing to glare at Himchan during the process. 

 

"What about your family, Daehyun?" Himchan's aunt asked out of the blue.

 

"You don't need to know, auntie. He probably has none," Himchan said.

 

"No, no, Himchan," she said, "I want to know about your family, Daehyun. Maybe you should tell us a little bit about yourself? I don't want anyone to feel left out of the conversation here."

 

"I do have a family, in fact. It's just that... some one... this particular person is preventing me from spending time with them," Daehyun said, looking at Himchan intensely, "I have a wife and I love her so much. But this certain someone just... doesn't let me see her. I have to work 24/7 at Himchan's place and I still don't get to see my wife. Is that too much to ask for? Just a little time together? And to top it off, I get abused frequently. I know I'm already an adult but I still do get beaten up and my whole body is pretty damn sore from the last beating."

 

"Oh my goodness! That's so terrible!" Himchan's aunt exclaimed genuienly, "Why aren't you telling anyone about this situation? The person who's abusing you should be locked up! Or maybe even get the death sentence. No one should be treated like that."

 

"I would want to tell someone about my situation, I really would. But then, I don't want to burden Himchan. He would have to bring me to the police office to make a report and everything. I'm already such a mediocre butler, I don't want to cause anymore trouble," Daehyun said sadly.

 

"I'm sure Himchan wouldn't mind sending you there just for a day," Himchan's aunt said, "For all I know, Himchan is such a nice and caring person. I don't think he would mind helping you out."

 

"Yeah, Daehyun," Himchan said, twirling his pasta with his fork with an evil look plastered on his face, "Why didn't you ever tell me about this? I could've helped you ages ago! I think we should go down to the sherif's office next weekend. I mean, you're going to be staying with us this whole week because auntie and uncle are here, right?"

 

All Daehyun did was give him a curt nod. He just got shot down by Himchan, again. His eyes met with Himchan's and he received a full-on death glare. Daehyun looked away and went to the kitchen to avoid listening to any more of their children discussion.

 

"Your butler is rather strange..." Himchan's uncle pointed out.

 

"Oh, he's always like that," Himchan said, "Sometimes, I think that he's secretly jealous of me because I married Hyuna. Some of my co-workers told me that he's literally obsessed with her and he won't stop talking about her. They even said that he smells her clothes in her wardrobe when she's at school."

 

"He does not!" Hyuna exclaimed.

 

"You don't know that, babe. You know how Daehyun's behaviour is like, he's weird as hell. He stays up late just to make sure you're asleep and always takes your towels!" Himchan said to her.

 

"You better get that butler sacked right away!" His uncle said out loud.

 

"I told you, Uncle Kim, I pity him. I don't want him to be decomposing on the streets. And if I do fire him and that ends up happening, I would get so much bad karma and I won't even stand a chance of getting into heaven!"

 

"Like you'll even have a chance of getting into heaven. You're a total shat!" Hyuna screamed, slamming her hands on the dining table, almost toppling over a few glasses.

 

"Baby, what's wrong?" Himchan asked her.

 

"What's wrong? You dare ask me what's wrong? You're the problem in all of this!" Hyuna shouted at his face, "I hate you! I hate you so much! I don't want to eat with your family or you in general. I'm going to my room," she threw her napkin on the floor and stormed up the stairs, slamming the door shut.

 

"Must be those hormones again..." Himchan sighed.

 

Himchan's aunt nodded her head in agreement and said, "I remember when I was pregnant with your cousin. The hormones were so overwhelming I just wanted to rip your uncle's head off every five minutes. Those days were great but I'm glad they're over already."

 

"I'm estatic that they're over!" Himchan's uncle exclaimed happily, "Oh god, your auntie Kim was a wild one. She would scream at me so much if I came home without buying her a dessert from the little old bakery near our house. I remember she would always rage at me for not helping her hang out the wash cloths..."

 

The three of them continued their conversation and laughed heartily as if nothing had just happened. They continued speaking about the possibilties of Hyuna being pregnant and what they're going to name their first child together. Himchan faked the whole act very well. Too well, in fact. Himchan's aunt and uncle had no idea that he's actually just a low-life pyschopath who locked up a young married couple and tortures them daily.

 

They absolutely had no idea.