Yes

Wedding bells

 

Hyuna and Daehyun were now living together in a small house near the college that they’re currently attending together. Daehyun was majoring in Music and Hyuna was majoring in English Literature. Every morning, they would walk to school together and after they’ve finished all their classes, they would walk home together. They were as close as ever.

 

But for the past few months, Daehyun had been acting strange. Hyuna would always have to walk back home alone because he claimed to have late-classes. She blew it off at first when Daehyun kept ditching her but, it has been months since he walked home with her.

 

He would always come home really late, leaving Hyuna worried sick. And on the next mornings, he would act as if nothing had happened. Aside from that, he has become more jaded by the day. He looked extremely tired every morning and they were running out of things to talk about.

 

Hyuna, had obviously noticed the changes in their relationship and she wasn’t very happy about it. She went to bed every night alone, crying. She spent lunches at school alone. She cooked dinner for herself every night and ate alone. Daehyun was never even there anymore.

 

Tomorrow was her birthday and it would be the last straw for her if he didn’t do anything for her. She went to bed early and tried to think happy thoughts in her mind.

 

The next day came and she woke up to an empty bed. She sighed heavily and climbed out of bed. “He didn’t even bother to come home…” she thought to herself. She dragged her feet to the bathroom and found something a note on the countertop.

 

The note said,

 

“Morning, babe. I’m sorry but I have something really important to do today. See you at night! –Dae.”

 

She ripped the note angrily and broke down in tears on the floor.

 

And then at that moment, she had decided, she was going to break up with Daehyun today.

 

Hyuna brewed herself a cup of hot coffee and sat at the dinner table, sipping it happily. Her phone buzzed with endless ‘Happy Birthday’ messages from all her friends. All except, Daehyun. She turned off her phone and went outside for a jog, in hopes of clearing her mind.

 

She put on her running shoes and left the house a few minutes later. She jogged around the suburb and stopped by one of her neighbour’s place for a little chat.

 

“Good morning, Hyuna!” the lady from house number 28 said.

 

“Good morning!” Hyuna smiled brightly, “How are you today?”

 

“I’m good,” her neighbour replied, “I heard from a little birdie that today’s your birthday.” She smiled.

 

“Yeah, it is,” Hyuna chuckled.

 

“Well, happy birthday to you! I hope you have a great life ahead of you with Daehyun. He’s such a nice boyfriend to you. Have fun celebrating with him tonight!” she said.

 

“Oh, actually, I don’t think we’re going to do any-“ Hyuna started to say before she got cut off by her neighbour.

 

“Daehyun and you are really lucky to have one another!” she chirped before heading back into her house.

 

Hyuna was left standing there alone. “He’s such a nice boyfriend to you!” her neighbour had said. “Nice my , he doesn’t even bother to say happy birthday to me,” she scoffed and jogged back to her house.

 

She threw open the door angrily and shoved off her shoes. The house was completely dark. She sighed as she clearly remembered that she had the lights before she left. “Must be a power cut or something.” She said to herself.

 

She walked towards the windows and pulled up all the blinds. Light shone through the windows and she gasped as she saw what was in front of her.

 

Light pink rose petals were scattered tastefully all over the floor. A big, white two-tiered cake was on the dinner table. On top of the cake, it wrote the words, “Happy birthday, Hyuna. I love you, -D”. She smiled to herself as she admired the scene.

 

She noticed a letter next to the cake and she opened it up to read it.

 

“Dear Hyuna,

 

First of all, happy birthday to you, love. I hope you like the cake and flowers. I’m so sorry I’ve been home so late for the past few months. And I’m so sorry that I’m always so tired every morning. I couldn’t even hold a proper conversation with you anymore.

 

Please, forgive me. I promise this won’t happen again. No, I haven’t been cheating on you or partying crazy or anything bad like that. I’ve actually been doing something good!

 

I hope you’ll like love it. I’ve put a lot of effort into it.

 

I love you.

 

-Daehyun.”

 

Hyuna smiled to herself as tears of joy fled down her cheeks. She looked around for anything sight of Daehyun but he was no where to be seen.

 

“Hyuna,” she turned around and saw Daehyun all dressed up in a black suit, looking as handsome as ever. She blushed as they made their way to each other. He enveloped her in a big hug and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

 

“Hey, I thought you had to go to work today?” Hyuna asked.

 

“Yeah, but just for a while. I had to go pick up my paycheck, and the cake, and another thing,” he said casually.

 

“What other thing?” she asked him curiously.

 

He smiled and took a small box out of his pocket. He got down on one knee and held one of Hyuna’s hands. He opened the box carefully and it revealed an exquisitely beautiful diamond ring.

 

“Hyuna, I’ve known you for so many years now. You have always been there for me and we’ve gone through so many ups and downs together. When I first met you, I was afraid that you would never love me back. Now, six years later, we’re still together, madly in love. I don’t want this to ever change so, will you marry me?”

 

He gently slipped the ring onto Hyuna’s ring finger. The diamond ring beamed against the light. Hyuna’s smile was wide and tears were b her eyes. She nodded her head because she was too shocked and happy to reply.

 

“Is that a yes?” Daehyun smiled.

 

“Yes. Yes, I’ll marry you, Daehyun.”