Accident Happens

Broken Wings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7: Accident Happens

“What… do you mean?”

Seunghyun nodded his head slowly, but, despite his slowness, his eyes portrayed fear.

“I really mean that, Jiyong-ah. Hyung was alive. He survived from the crash along with me, but instead of helping him, I just lay helplessly. I couldn’t do anything, while hyung… he…”

Seunghyun stopped talking out of nowhere. His whole body was shaking furiously, and his other members’ hearts were crushed to see their hyung act this way. Yoona, though, just stood still at the same spot since the Black Eagles members enter the room, with her eyes fixed to Seunghyun and s.

“Hyung, you haven’t told anyone about your accident…” Daesung spoke. “We don’t know what had happened, nor how the detail of the accident. What we know is, you and hyung were in accident, and hyung is killed in that accident.”

Seunghyun remained silent, and seeing his reaction, Jiyong made a decision. “Daesung-ah, Seungri-ah, let’s help Seunghyun-hyung back to his bed.”

Without any much difficulities, Seungri and Daesung made Seunghyun lie on his bed. They themselves were leaning on the wall near Seunghyun’s bed. Jiyong was sitting on a seat next to Seunghyun’s bed and Youngbae was stood behind Jiyong with his hands folded on his chest.

“Can you please… tell us what had happened, Seunghyun-hyung?” Jiyong asked Seunghyun. The other members didn’t dare to speak, because Jiyong’s voice is enough.

This is a secret from other squadrons, but in Black Eagles, the co-captain isn't the real co-captain. Seunghyun’s position is formality—he was forced to take it because of his seniority and his family, when he himself didn’t want the co-captain position—while the one who is actually in charge of Seunghyun’s duty is Jiyong. Jiyong possesses authority and leader vibe rather than Seunghyun.

“We can't help you if you don’t tell us what happened. You didn’t tell the investigator, didn’t tell the army, didn’t tell Bom-noona, and even didn’t tell ahjumonim. How we can know what we should do to help you, hyung?”

Seunghyun’s eyes roamed around to each face of his juniors, and he sighed deeply.

“It was…”

xxx

November, 2012.

It was a cold, yet, bright Monday morning for everyone in 239th special squadron—or usually called Black Eagles. Everyone gathered at the hangar around the 8 a.m., and did a little exercise to warm themselves.

“Everyone!” Dongwook called everyone attention after they finish their morning field exercise. “Listen up!”

Every Black Eagles members immediately went alert to their captain’s voice. They also immediately stood up from their seating position.

“The long awaited T50-B has finally come to our hangar!” Dongwook said with cheerful smile and excited face.

Cheers exploded immediately a few seconds after Dongwook finished his sentence. Hell yeah! T50-B is their new supersonic aircraft—to change their old Cessna-A37, furthermore, the ones who made this aircraft is none other than their fellow Koreans! How they couldn’t be more proud?

“It will be right here, right in this hangar,” Dongwook stomped his foot loudly and pointed to the hangar’s floor. “in about an hour. Be ready for the new babies, guys!”

More cheers were heard and more excited faces were appeared at Dongwook’s excitement. Who wouldn’t be happy?

“Hyung! Who is going to fly it for the very first time?” Seungri asked excitedly. He grinned from ear to ear, secretly hoping that he would be picked.

“The lieutenant colonel and I had agreed,” Dongwook took a deep breath. He loves teasing his younger Black Eagles members, especially at times like this. “The ones who will ride it for the first time are me, Seunghyun, Jaejoong, and Jiyong.”

Smiles appeared at the 3 whose name was being said, and the rest of them tapped Seunghyun, Jaejoong, and Jiyong’s shoulder encouragingly. Envy didn’t appear in their heart, because they knew, Dongwook, Seunghyun, Jaejoong, and Jiyong are the best of them all. They deserved that chance.

After all, all of them will ride the plane soon! It’s just a matter of time!

“And now, before meeting the new baby, go have your breakfast and come in an hour! All troops are dismissed!”

All of them were going to the mess with happy smiles and non-stop chattering about how their new babies would look like, or the specification, or its ability, and everything about T-50B.

Yet, none of them knows that T-50B would kill one of their members…

xxx

“How’s your breakfast?”

The Black Eagles members were standing in front of the hangar’s door. They lined up in order, just like how any soldier will do in any sacral circumstances.

“Never better, captain!” Jaejoong answered, which, followed by a quite laugh from the other members.

“Well, since all of you had your breakfast already, let's meet the babies!”

Dongwook opened the hangar’s door and stepped into the hangar. The other followed him.

“Here it is,” Dongwook stood in front of the black-yellow aircraft with South Korea flag painted on its body. “T-50B, our new babies.”

Everyone had their eyes glued to the strong, elegant, supersonic aircraft. They were amazed by it, by any means and any Lord, their old Cessna was nothing if it will be compared to the beautiful T-50B.

“Wow, capt,” Jiyong muttered. “This is amazing.”

“I know.” Dongwook nodded, but didn’t look at Jiyong. “These babies are amazing.”

Daesung was the first one to step forward to the T-50B. He examined the aircraft structure, design, and equipment. Not too long, Jiyong and Hyunjoong followed Daesung’s step, as they took closer look to the aircraft.

In the end, everyone but Dongwook and Seunghyun were examining, looking, and observing the aircraft. The captain and the co-captain were rooted in their previous spot.

“Seunghyun.”

“Yes, capt?”

“If something happen to me or anyone in the field or whether in a mission; please carry Black Eagles as whole, will you?”

Seunghyun raised his eyebrow in confusion. It wasn’t so Dongwook to talk like this. “Capt, nothing bad will happen. You worry too much.” Seunghyun said with assuring smile.

Actually, he was surprised to see Dongwook like that. Dongwook is an optimistic person, that’s one of many reasons why he became the Captain of Black Eagles.

“I just feel… something isn't right now.”

Seunghyun chuckled. “You watch too much airplane crashes video on TV, capt. We are professionals in this field. If something bad happen, we wil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter