A Little Man Help

Broken Wings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

10: A Little Man Help

2 months has been passed since they became official couple and up until today, their relationship was going strong. Sure, arguments are unavoidable, but they made sure to make everything works in the end of the day.

"What is your plan for today, Seunghyun?"

"Me?" Seunghyun raised his eyebrow—confused to Yoona's oddity—but he answered nonetheless. "Nothing much. I'm going to go to the workshop and work all day long. Why? I don't have any scheduled therapy session, do I?"

Yoona shook her head with a smile pestered on her face. But it wasn't her usual smile. Her smile... Looked sweeter and more hopeful than usual. "No you don't."

"Then," Seunghyun shrugged his shoulder. "What do you want? It's odd you know, seeing you ask me what I am going to do today. You never ask me that question."

"Can you ditch your job at the workshop?" Yoona asked. Seunghyun even had crase on his forehead at her sudden request. Usually, she was the one who force him to work when he wanted to ditching out.

"Why?" Seunghyun asked.

Yoona didn't answer his question, as she walked behind Seunghyun and pushed his wheelchair. Seunghyun—who was clearly confused—remained silent as they passed the alley.

After walked in silence for some time, Seunghyun finally broke it. "Where are we going?" Seunghyun asked. They went out from the rehabilitation center building, passed the garden, the workshop, and even passed the gate of the hospital. They strolled around outside the rehabilitation center—something Seunghyun never do since he admitted in the hospital. Heck! He never even stepped out from the hospital gate since he was paralyzed for God's sake—and for Seunghyun... It was something peaceful yet frightening.

It was peaceful, because the world outside the rehabilitation was his home—where he was born, raised, and lived for 30 years of his life. But at the same time, it was frightening, because he never went to his home anymore for months. He was afraid of rejection from his old home and everyone on it. He has changed—for the better and the worse—and maybe... His old home would dislike his changes and kick him out.

Not too far from the rehabilitation center, Yoona stopped pushing his wheelchair.

“Put this on.” She said as she handed him a blindfold. Seunghyun turned his head towards Yoona and had questioning expression on his face. “What for?”

“Just wear it,” authority was clearly hinted in her voice. “You’ll be grateful later.”

Without many words, Seunghyun put the blindfold on. And after she made sure he had put the blindfold properly, she began to push his wheelchair again.

They walked passed many things—because Seunghyun could hear many sounds—the sound of chatters, the familiar ahjummas’ loud voice at the street snack vendor, the sound of many clicking heels on the ground, the sound of honk, the sound of car engine and even the sound of announcement in the train—he guessed she was taking him on a train.

Seunghyun became more and more afraid when he heard those voices.

"Look Seunghyun," Yoona stopped pushing his wheelchair and squatted in front of Seunghyun. "Don't be afraid to look at your surroundings. Absorb its meaning. Remember the old feelings of your home..." Yoona said with emphasize before opening his blindfold and immediately cupped his jaws firmly with her hands. She didn’t want Seunghyun’s eyes roamed around before she assured some things to him,

His eyes blinked for a few times—adjusting to the sunlight—and as she expected, Seunghyun’s eyes looked straight to her—to the beautiful, hopeful, and kind eyes of Im Yoona he loves.

"How... Do you know?" He muttered silently—it was barely a whisper.

"I just know." Yoona cupped his face and pecked his lips. "They won't reject you."

He shook his head. “How do you know I was scared?”

“You talked in your sleep,” Yoona giggled. Her dolly eyes began to close as laugh heard from . “And I’m not a newcomer in this field, Seunghyun. I’ve been a nurse for years.”

“Really? I talked in my sleep?”

Yoona nodded. “Yeah.”

“But…” Before he could finish his sentence, Yoona already stood up and made him face the world he was in.

There, Seunghyun—in his wheelchair—was face to face with the crowd he used to see—the pedestrians, sky crapper buildings, the busy road with cars and motorcycle.  Some people didn't give a about him—they just walked past him like he was a normal person, but some of them gave him pity stare. He hates it. He really hates it.

“No… no…” Seunghyun looked terrified around his surroundings. It must be hard for him. “Don’t look at me! Don’t pity me!” Seunghyun screamed frantically. Seeing that, Yoona really wanted to help him, but she couldn’t, because his fear of people—yeah, Yoona must admit that Seunghyun had a fear of people due to his overflowing insecurities about himself—only could be heal by himself. She only could do this much—by forced him to face people once more.

Seunghyun quickly grabbed the wheel of his wheelchair and spin it. He moved his own wheelchair—countering so many people with so many eye stares toward him. Pity, hurt, mock, sympathy, humiliate, everything! He saw everything in those pairs of eyes!

He kept on moving his wheelchair, with Yoona followed behind him. He kept moving forward so fast, without stopping, without glancing to her, without looking back. Yoona, though, had a hard time chasing him.

They had passed the streets; they crossed the streets; they even passed the Han River; when Seunghyun finally stopped his wheelchair. He stopped nearby a wide, spacious park nearby.

“What are you doing…” Yoona spoke softly with her panted breath (following Seunghyun wasn’t easy, if she could tell you!), but Seunghyun ignored her. Seunghyun entered the park with slow pace. Yoona followed along behind him while keeping the safe distance —she didn’t want to ruin the process of his ‘healing’—and there they were, the kids, playing along with each other without looking at their genders, the race, or even their bodies—some kids were disabled. They laughed together just like they were the same.

The loud sound of laughter and cheer made Seunghyun approached the kids closer. The kids were playing around the bushes, the chair, the lamp post. They were everywhere! And they looked genuinely happy.

"Ahjussi!" Suddenly, a boy came up to Seunghyun. He was chasing another kid, when he felt Seunghyun's gaze towards him. Then, he separated himself from the crowd of kids and walked with crotchs in a speed of light. He was so fast! "What happened to you? Why you move around in the wheelchair?"

Seunghyun was speechless. How the boy in front

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter