Meetings.

Broken Wings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1: Meetings

Wonju, 2008.

“Welcome to the annual event of Daehaminguk Gong-gun(*)!”

The MC exclaimed excitingly as people around him clapped their hands. Yoona and Hyunsuk just arrived at the event when the MC started the opening. As the MC said everything he need to say, Hyunsuk and Yoona strolled around to find good spot to watch the aerobatics performance. They ended up staying at the side of the crowd—secluding themselves from the massive crowd.

“This is the 7th year of the Daehaminguk Gong-gun annual event! And just like the previous years, this event will officially started after the performance of 239th special squadron,” the MC stopped momentarily to add more excitement. Yoona held her breath unintentionally and Hyunsuk spread a smile. “The famous BLACK EAGLES!”

Just then, 8 jet airplanes flied to the sky, showing the crowd their elegance entrance. In seconds, the planes already flew in the bright blue sky, showing the crowd their skill. They showed those loops, turns, rolls, triple turn, goose, heart and cupid arrow shape, orchid shape, roll back, after burner loop, taeguk(**) form, gourd bottle form, double helix, snake rolls, dizzying break, twist roll, max maneuver, victory break, and the typhoon landing perfectly. When the aerobatic team landed and entered its hangar, Yoona gasped in amazement and Hyunsuk smiled proudly—the kind of smile a proud father will give to his child.

“That was amazing, ahjussi.”

“I know,” Hyunsuk couldn’t hide his proud smile. He began to move his wheelchair by his hands, and Yoona, as a nurse, felt the immediate instinct to help him.

“Let me bring you to their place.” Yoona said as she grabbed a hold to Hyunsuk’s wheelchair handlings and pushed it forward. 

Hyunsuk mumbled a soft ‘thanks’ as they walked to the hangar.

xxx

 “HYUNSUK-SUNBAE!”

A man in his late 20s called Hyunsuk from the center of the hangar. He was wearing his army uniform, with shades covering his face. There were 7 men surrounded him, wearing the same uniform as his.

“Dongwook-ah!” Hyunsuk waved his hand and the man waved his hand back. Yoona pushed the wheelchair faster to the man’s place.

“Hyunsuk-sunbae, it has been long time.” The man who was called Dongwook bowed to Hyunsuk when Hyunsuk’s wheelchair positioned in front of him. The other men also bowed in respect. “You should have come earlier. We could show you our practice or gave you the best spot for watching our performance.”

Hyunsuk laughed. “You punks, what did you think you were going to do? I might be lost one of my legs, but I'm not completely invalid!”

“It’s just…” Dongwook stopped his sentence when he saw Hyunsuk waved his hand dismissively—a sign that he didn’t want to continue the topic.

“Just introduce me to these punks and get this formal and boring introduction over, Dongwook-ah. I want to skip this and go forward to the drink event.” Hyunsuk laughed. Dongwook spread a soft smile on his face.

“Ah…” Before starting the introduction, he nodded knowingly and faked cough a few times—to get the other men’s attention. “Guys, this is Yang Hyunsuk-sunbaenim,” Dongwook stood between Hyunsuk and the other men. “He is a former Black Eagles member who left in 2000…”

“Because I lost a leg an accident.” Hyunsuk stated bluntly before Dongwook could continue any further. The other men didn’t look at Hyunsuk with pity or sudden sadness. Instead, they looked at him with admiration. “But I managed to survive. Yes, I can't live without my wheelchair or my fake leg, but it doesn’t mean I can't live, right?”

The men nodded together. Dongwook kept his silence and let Hyunsuk continued his speech—after all, Hyunsuk was Dongwook's senior of so many years. The last year in Hyunsuk’s career was the first year of his career as a Black Eagles member.

“Then, introduce yourself punks.” Hyunsuk commanded with a slight playful tone. 7 young men in front of him gave him salutes and each one of them stepped forward to introduce himself.

The first one was a skinny man with almond shaped eyes. “My name is Kwon Jiyong. Nice to meet you!” Jiyong said with loud voice—which was too different from his small body of his. Yoona—who just stood behind Hyunsuk all this time while looking to the floor—looked up and saw the man thoroughly.

Damn. He was cute for Yoona’s taste and liking.

The first man stepped back, and the next man stepped to the front. “My name is Kang Daesung! Nice to meet you!” Said a man with a killer-angelic-smile and his eyes formed tiny slits. His body was the most muscular among the 7 young men in front of Hyunsuk.

Again, Hyunsuk gave him a slight nod as Daesung stepped back. This time, a man with short hair and black eye circles below his eyes stepped forward.

"My name is Lee Seungri! Nice to meet you, sunbae!"

The next men were Dong Youngbae, Kim Jaejoong, Kim Hyunjong. They had their own trademark—making them looked different although they had the same short-clean-haircut just like ordinary army soldier. Dong Youngbae with his gentle smile and his eyes that formed crescent when he smile, Kim Jaejoong with his so-airy-voice, Kim Hyunjoong with his soft smile and shyness that radiating from him. And the last man was...

"My name is Choi Seunghyun. Nice to meet you, Hyunsuk-sunbaenim."

And by the time Seunghyun introduced himself, Yoona had her eyes fixed on him.

Yoona's POV.

When I heard his deep, smooth, baritone voice, my ears eventually alert. My eyes immediately looked at his voice, and his face was… so fascinating.

His deep eyes, his pointy nose, his high cheekbones, his small lips, the way he stand, the way he salute, and everything about him... just captivated me.

He didn't do anything—he just introduced himself like the other Black Eagles members, but his introduction really caught my attention.

"He is the co-captain in the Black Eagles, sunbae." Dongwook said. Seunghyun showed us his shy-yet-proud smile, while he scratched his back head.

"You should do well

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter