Moments

YunBoA: A Series of One-Shots

So for the sake of this story, let’s just all pretend that Yunho, BoA, Yoona, Henry, Amber, and Changmin live in the same house together. :)

Oh, there's some swearing in this chapter as well. Just a little warning.

--

It started with a small moment. A moment that was so small it may not have even been a moment. But simply because Yoona noticed it she was convinced that it was.

It was a Wednesday night; she was sitting on the couch with swatches and a sketchpad. Yunho was in his chair having claimed the remote an hour ago. Changmin was making food in the kitchen. Henry and Amber were in one of their rooms doing God knows what. And BoA was sitting on the bench behind the TV, in front of the window, reading a very thick book.

Yunho's program had ended and he was flipping through channels. He stopped and that was when it happened.

I love you, baby, and if it’s quite alright

I need you baby, to warm a lonely night

I love you baby, trust in me when I say

Oh, pretty baby, don’t bring me down, I pray

Oh, pretty baby, now that I found you, stay

And let me love you, baby, let me love you

She thought BoA would like this song. So, she looked to her friend, expecting a smile or…something good at least. But that wasn't how she looked. Her head was still buried in her book, but her eyes weren't focused on the pages. Her teeth were clamped down into her lower lip. Then she stopped biting her lip, instead pressing them firmly together, closed her eyes and her breathing seemed to become very measured- as if she was telling herself to do the normally automatic act.

You’re just too good to be true,

Can’t take my eyes off you.

You’d be like heaven to touch

I wanna hold you so much.

Yoona watched in utter confusion as BoA took one last deliberate breath and looked up to Yunho.

She met his eyes and asked in a very even tone, "Can you please change the channel? This song…it’s too cheesy."

At long last love has arrived,

And I thank God I’m alive.

You’re just too good to be true,

Can’t take my eyes off you.

His eyes didn't leave hers as he aimed the remote at the TV and did as she wished. He held her gaze for about thirty seconds longer (Yoona counted the Mississippi's in her head); neither of them seemed to notice the TV was now on the news.

That was when it hit Yoona: there was something there, between her two good friends, that she didn't know.

----

The second moment that Yoona noticed happened about a week later.

Dinners had been normal, breakfasts had been normal, the arguments around the place had been present, so just as she was convincing herself that she had been delusional before, she witnessed moment number two.

Yoona was sitting at the dining room table, homework spread around her. She was in BoA's usual seat, which gave her a perfect view of the stairs- which meant a perfect view of the moment.

BoA was coming down the stairs and was almost to the landing when Yunho headed up the stairs. They would have met on the landing, but BoA tripped and lurched forward.

Yunho moved up the stair in the way faster than his previous steps and caught her.

Her hands landed on his chest, as did her face. His arms were firmly wrapped around her, his hands at her waist.

She stared up at him, righted her feet beneath her, and continued to stare at him as he just looked at her and continued to hold her.

He didn't wear a smile, or a smirk, or even amused eyes. He just looked at her with a look that was something between tenderness and longing.

His thumb- on the hand that Yoona could see- began moving, , ever so subtly.

Then Yunho suddenly seemed to remember himself. His smirk was forced, but he managed it, and even managed to sound insulting when he quipped, "That was classic klutz, BoA-ya."

Somehow Yoona wasn't surprised when her friend's only response was to smile.

----

Moment three wasn't anything that Yoona would have expected. The first two were angst filled- but still somewhat sweet.

Moment three was horrible.

It was after dinner and Yoona was in the kitchen with BoA, Amber and Changmin making cookies. Yunho was also there- it was his night to wash dishes and he hadn't managed to talk himself out of it or anyone else into it in his place.

Yoona asked BoA how things were with her, because although they met all the time at home, once they left the house, they never saw each other due to their different schedules. She didn't expect BoA to mention this Yoo Ah In actor that had existed prior to the moments of the last two weeks- and apparently for the last two weeks.

BoA was going on and on about how Yoo Ah In was becoming quite a good boyfriend. She enjoyed the fact that he challenged her and although they were kept a secret, he still managed to surprise her here and there.

"That's great BoA," Yoona had commented half-heartedly about her friend's relationship- now even more confused about the moments she had thought she had witnessed.

"I know," BoA agreed enthusiastically, "He is just so perfect for me. He just gets me, you know? I think that maybe we should be-"

BoA was interrupted by the distinctive sound of glass breaking.

Yunho swore loudly.

Amber repeated what Yunho said, then sing-songed, "Yunho said ."

Yoona watched as Yunho angrily picked up the shattered pieces of the glass he was washing from the sink and threw them in the trash.

Somewhere in the background Changmin was explaining to Amber about Yunho’s mood-swings here and there when it came to BoA. Amber ran off upstairs, to share the news with Henry.

BoA had her head down. She was staring at the counter. All previous-supposed- joy she was radiating seconds ago had completely evaporated. She looked guilty.

Yunho's back was tense. He stopped all action after he finished picking up the glass for about a minute. Finally, he turned around and said as genuinely as he could muster, "Sorry about that."

He left the kitchen. But it wasn't like he was using the fact that he messed up to get out of the rest of his chore. He was storming off angrily. Yoona was sure of it.

BoA didn't say anything that wasn't cookie making related for the rest of the night.

----

In some ways, moment four was worse than moment three.

It happened the very next day. It was a short day for everyone at the company due to the Holidays. Normally, Yoona wouldn't have been home, but she wasn’t feeling well so she had gotten permission to go home earlier.

She knew Yunho and BoA would be the only ones home as she saw them leave earlier- unless they had friends over or something. If they were both home she didn't have any idea what she would find. She didn't pretend that she had the slightest inkling about whatever it was she was witnessing anymore.

She heard silence when she walked in the back door. She put down her bag and was about to walk out from the kitchen into the dining room when she heard, "Still haven't answered my question BoA."

There was something in Yunho's tone, Yoona didn't recognize it, but it made her stop and reconsider walking any further. She did actually walk further though. She took a step back and two to the side so she was hiding behind one of the pocket doors. She carefully peeked her head out, wanting to witness what was happening.

Yunho was blocking the stairs. BoA was three feet in front of him; arms crossed defiantly.

"Not that I have to tell you anything, but I'm dating him because I like him," she said, emphasizing the last three words, knowing their effect.

"Yeah, you're dating the guy because you like him," Yunho retorted easily.

She stared at him for a minute, resolve clear in her eyes. She declared firmly, "I'm not having this conversation with you." She added ever so slightly softer, "Not again."

Yunho laughed, "Not again? We've never had this conversation because you keep saying, 'I won't have this conversation with you.' That's what you said to me two years ago when I first declared my feelings for you and you didn’t want to ruin the friendship between us, it's what you said when you were dating Tablo, it's what you said when you weren't dating Tablo, it's what you said when I was dating Ara, it's what you said when I wasn't dating Ara, it's what you said when you were dating Jay, it's what you said when you weren't dating Jay, it's what you said when I was dating Nicole, it's what you said when I wasn't dating Nicole. And it's what you're saying now when you're dating Yoo Ah In and it's what you'll say when you're not dating him. Get it BoA? We're having this conversation now because I'm tired of this ed up cycle."

With each time Yunho listed that they failed to have this conversation he took a step closer to BoA and BoA took a step back. Now, her back was only a foot from the wall that was opposite the staircase. Yunho was only two and a half feet from her.

Yunho seemed so angry that BoA seemed to be faltering while he spoke. But now that he stopped she gained her determination back and argued, "We can't have this conversation and you know that's the real reason we've never had it. You said it yourself Yunho- our friendship would be at stake. The place that we're in that you want to have this conversation, it's a house we’re currently sharing with our friends. We can't-"

"I don't care!" Yunho screamed in interruption. He took another step forward and was cut off before he could explain.

"You should!" BoA retorted just as fervently, "This is serious. You're not just some guy I just recently knew, I'm not just some girl you met through a friends, our friendship matters and what happens-or doesn't happen- between us affects us and the people around us…a lot. When we declared that we were best friends, lines were drawn, and whether or not we like it, they're there and they're too big to cross. You need to understand that it’s too big of a risk and I’m not willing to take it."

" the lines BoA," Yunho declared adamantly. He rushed on before she could retort, "I don't want the same things for two years. This doesn't happen to me- ever. I don't care that 'we can't.'" He took another step closer to her, leaving just one foot between them, "And you might as well forget about trying to convince me that you're not worth the risk because that's not going to happen."

Yoona had been watching on pins and needles. She watched BoA’s resolve begin to melt. Her friend may have been the one making the rational points and maybe she should have been on her side, but personally, Yoona was silently willing her friend to kiss him.

BoA just stared at Yunho with something that looked like anguish.

Yunho knew BoA well enough to know that he may have made progress, but he hadn't won yet.

"I'm going to kiss you," he proclaimed.

"No," BoA responded immediately, "You can't."

"Why not? It's happened before," he responded with a smirk, taking a step toward her.

She took the only step back that she could as she reasoned, "But it shouldn't have." As an after though she added, "Plus, I'm with… him."

"So?" He questioned.

She looked away and said quietly, "It's never happened when one of us has been with someone."

"Which is why you really started dating him," Yunho said, knowing that it was true.

BoA didn't respond. Instead she took a different tact and tried, "Ara was exactly like me."

"Yeah," Yunho agreed, "But she wasn't you, which is why we're here now and I'm not with her."

When BoA didn't do anything but continue to stare at him, Yunho declared again, his voice lower as he took a final step toward her, "I'm going to kiss you." BoA began to open , but Yunho put a finger to it and rushed on, "Don't try to argue with me BoA. I'm going to kiss you. I'm going to kiss you in ten seconds unless you do something to stop me."

He closed all of the space between them as she looked away from him. His chest was right up against hers. He could feel her heart racing as fast as his.

He put a finger on her chin to lift it so her eyes would meet his. She still seemed conflicted, but she hadn't stopped him.

"Ten," he breathed and he kissed her.

She kissed him back.

Yoona considered possibly interrupting and telling them that they had everyone’s blessing and she was fairly sure she could convince Lee Soo Man-sunsaengnim. But then she considered maybe she should just let them be for right now; it seemed like it took them so long to get here.

So, Yoona slipped out the back door and hoped that when she came home again in a while it would be to news of a new beginning for her two good friends.

----

Moment five was a long time coming.

When Yoona returned home later in the day of the witnessed kiss she received no news of a new relationship, she didn't witness any particular giddiness, or small moments. She was truly starting to believe that it had ended indifferently until a week later when she couldn't resist asking BoA about her relationship with Yoo Ah In. BoA responded that they had broken up a little while ago and that she had decided to take a break from dating for a while.

So, Yoona decided she was right. Something had changed that day. BoA wasn't dating and neither was Yunho. But they hadn't said anything and for all she could tell neither of them seemed particularly happy- as they should be if they had really, and apparently finally, gotten together. Also, small moments had been absent, which made Yoona worry that she was wrong.

But Yoona's fifth moment, the one she had been waiting for finally came two weeks later when they were eating dinner and Yoona asked BoA what her final decisions were for the company vacation trip they were to be taking. Sunsaengnim had entrusted BoA with the decision and many were curious about where she would like them to all go. BoA listed four different countries. Changmin then asked Yunho where he would like to go. He recited the same four.

"Hmm?" Changmin stared at him, "I thought you didn't like those countries."

Yunho shot a glare at him before clearing his throat, "Yeah well, I just changed my mind. I like whatever BoA suggested."

BoA couldn't hide her surprise- or her happiness. She beamed across the table at him- lettuce on her dangling fork completely forgotten. He smiled back at her- a real, genuine, rare smile.

Noticing this, Henry handed some money across the table to Amber in defeat, Changmin took advantage of the fact that Amber was too busy with Henry and snuck his vegetables on to her plate, and Yoona smiled brightly. Without a doubt, she knew that she was lucky enough to have witnessed five of what would come to be an innumerable amount of moments between BoA and Yunho.

--

Author’s Note:

Y’know…when I was planning this in my head, it was great. But when it was time to write it down, it didn’t go that well.

But anyway, thanks for reading! 

P.S. Happy Birthday to our awesome leader, Yunho!