Settling

YunBoA: A Series of One-Shots

 

 

For reference, this takes place during BoA, Yunho, and Kangta’s 4th year in University. And yes, Kangta is featured in this one-shot.

Oh, this one-shot is rated 14+ due to certain references.

Sometimes, you think she's a bit oblivious. That despite her intelligence, her resourcefulness and her creativity, she seems to see right past what is so painfully obvious to you.

It works to your advantage, though, so you aren't going to complain.

She finally shuts her book and smiles up at you. You really have to start learning how to control your breathing because she affects you in phenomenally intense ways.

"You almost finished?" she says in that soft, lilting voice of hers. You haven't, but you say yes anyway. You pretend to go over a few more terms, but five minutes is about all you can last. When you close your own book, she snuggles up beside you.

"I'm so tired," she mumbles, resting her head on your shoulder. You kiss the top of her head and avoid her eyes. You're afraid she'll see right through you. Your eyes have a tendency of betraying you.

You've yet to tell her the extent of your feelings. You don't think she's quite ready for it. You blame him.

She groans exasperatedly as she presses her face into your chest. You hear what she says, but you try to dismiss it. "Ugh. I have to help Yunho with some homework. I can't believe my Professor is making me do it." Her head comes back up and she scowls. "He doesn't deserve my help."

You agree, but you don't voice your thoughts. You've learned that however much BoA complains about him, she gets fantastically defensive when someone else does. You're forced to admit that Yunho behaves the exact same way.

You rub her back soothingly instead. Your heart does that little flutter thing when she looks back at you and smiles all sweet-and-honey. You can't believe how much of a sap she's turned you into.

Yet, you can't bring yourself to be angry at her.

She wraps her arms tightly around your torso and her face inches closer. "You okay?"

You haven't been okay since you've met her. "Yeah," you say instead and kiss her chastely on the lips. She deepens the kiss and you sigh into . You're at it for a few minutes until the librarian interrupts you.

"The library is closing in fifteen minutes," she says sternly. BoA blushes adorably, but you're too preoccupied with your own thoughts to care about public decency.

Books are haphazardly shoved into bags and BoA lets her hair fall over her shoulders. You know staring is kind of rude, but you figure she'll forgive you.

She flushes when she notices your intent gaze.

She surprises you, though, when she leans up on her toes and presses her lips softly to yours. It was quick and brief and perfect.

You try to convince yourself that maybe this isn't as bad as you usually presume.

But you're unsuccessful when she complains about Yunho again.

You think she's blind.

Blind as in ridiculously unaware when it comes to Yunho. You say this because she completely misses the looks he sends her. And not just any look. No, not the look he gives other girls when he flirts with them either. It's the look that screams, "I want to shove you against a wall and do wildly inappropriate things to you." And then hide her in his room so he could repeat it later.

She's surprised when she comes back from the bathroom and finds a cup of tea, just the way she likes it - two milks and half a sugar packet - waiting for her.

You also know exactly what she was going to order because she always orders the same thing when you come here. You can't even show it off because he knows it too.

"Make it quick, the girl at table four is checking me out," he says self-importantly. BoA rolls her eyes, but simply says, "The usual."

He nods and turns to you. You give your order, and it's the very same thing you pick every other time you come to ‘aA The Design Museum’. You know he does it on purpose to not remember, but you no longer have the energy to be annoyed with it.

In fact, it didn't take you long before you realized Yunho wasn't too fond of you. Your very first real date with her had started off with Yunho shooting daggers at you when you picked her up from his place after she was done studying with him. You initially attributed it to friendly protectiveness, but the longing emanating from him when he watched her walk out the door told you what you needed to know.

You talk as you eat your food but you can't help but sigh quietly when she huffs about Yunho as he flirts with the girl at table four. "Why do you care?" you want to ask her. But you know the answer. And you know she'd deny it with fierce passion because that's what she does.

What she always does.

You let her pay for the bill at her insistence.

And Yunho just had to make a comment. "Your boyfriend is not very gentleman-like," he says jokingly, but, you know there's more to it.

"Shut up, Yunho," BoA retorts. "Who says the girl can't pay?"

"Isn't it written in the secret girl hand book or something? Always make your boyfriend pay." He takes the money but gives her back all her change even when she specifically asked for less.

She doesn't notice. "Please, like you know anything about the girl hand book. And I bet you don't even pay for all your dates."

"Of course, I know. I wouldn't be so popular with the female population if I didn't," he answers arrogantly. "And I do pay for every date, thank you very much."

He leaves after that and BoA huffs again. You think she's going to follow him and argue but she doesn't. Instead, she looks at you. A tiny smile appears on her face and she says, "I'm glad you're nothing like Yunho."

You don't know if it's the worst thing she's ever told you, or the best.

You think she's lying. You bury your head into her shoulder and exhale softly because even when she's repeatedly told you she loves you, you can't bring yourself to believe her. And it only amplifies your guilt because for the first time in your life, you're lying  next to her. In more ways than one.

While you wouldn't rather be next to anyone else, you know she would. And it kills you because you love her so goddamn much. She's fully aware of this and it makes you wonder whether that's the reason she slept with you in the first place.

You decide not to think about it. You're warm and temporarily happy, and with BoA, you can only bask in the moment for so long.

A month after you started having , she comes to you crying and tells you that she kissed him.

And cries some more. You stare at her frozen, wondering if this whole wretched mess is finally coming to an end. But when she begs for you to forgive her, you can't help yourself.

"I'm sorry, Kangta." she sobs, her hands covering her face in shame. She repeats the words over and over and you've never seen her so vulnerable. You even think you're more hurt by the sight of her falling apart than the fact that she cheated on you.

You wrap your arms around her shoulders. Simply watching her would have been too humiliating for her. And though she might have deserved it, it would have been too much to bear. She keeps crying a considerable amount of time before she calms down.

"I'm so sorry, Kangta," she says again. That's really all it takes; you forgive her.

The is better after that, and you finally start believing her when she says 'I love you.' 

You think she's settling. You think that maybe, just maybe, she'd be happier with him. You think she knows this too. You think she's afraid Yunho will hurt her. And she doesn't want to take the chance.

She stays with you instead because you'd tear down fields of trees before you'd ever hurt her.

You tell yourself that it makes you a good guy, but a little voice in your head tells you that, no, that makes you a foolish guy.

Sometimes, late at night, after a one-sided tryst with BoA, you agree. She's not always there with you, even when, physically, she is.

But you've accepted a long time ago that BoA didn't mean always when it comes to you. Yunho already had the always.

And most of the time, sometimes is enough for you.

--

Author’s Note:

I was going to write a sequel to the last one-shot, but decided against it. I think it’s best to keep it at that.

As for this one-shot, it’s definitely different aha. Also, ‘aA The Design Museum’ is actually the café that BoA’s Only One Drama Version was filmed at.

Anyway, I hope you guys liked it. I really appreciate the comments I’ve gotten so far. Thank you!