Home Run

YunBoA: A Series of One-Shots

Three times Jung Yunho proposed and the one time Kwon BoA did.

--

i. (a.k.a – strike one)

He had been waiting for this day. It was supposed to be the kind that was tinged with every color of the rainbow and had a ton of happiness liberally sprinkled all over it. (Like a lovely little angel cake and boy does he love those with their awesome rainbow sprinkles)

And honestly speaking, he'd never meant to do anything out of the ordinary. He blames the whole fiasco on the fact that BoA was wearing a dress. Well not just any dress. It was the dress. The dress which made her look like a princess who had stepped out of a fairytale world to go to the ball with him, just so that he could die happy.

Originally he'd meant to exit gracefully. Bid BoA goodbye in the most charming way possible, just like the guys in those black and white movies who mouthed pithy one-liners that invariably made the ladies swoon. He would be smooth, suave and charming, everything he usually was not (okay, that was a lie but he has to learn to be more modest). BoA would cherish the fondest memories of him as her knight-in-shining armor. And it would have gone off without a hitch but then something went and messed it all up.

He saw her in the dress, a beautiful gold dress that hugged her in the right areas, which made her look ethereal. His brain fell all the way to his feet, turned into mush and skulked off to the side to hide for the night so for the rest of the night, he Jung Yunho was without the ability to think. This is what led to following things.

a. He lost his fine motor co-ordination skills, which meant that all the practicing in front of the mirror was for vain cause he stepped all over BoA's feet anyways. Which she totally forgave him for, because she said and he quotes, "you look adorable as a button." Okay that wasn't a disaster but the second one is.

b. He spilt punch on Jong Kook and spent a good half an hour hiding in the restrooms. He then remembered that he left BoA hanging and came out to find her dancing with Jay looking a tad miffed. He had to apologize and promise to dance all the slow dances, even the lame ones before she deigned to bestow her dazzling smile on him.

c. This was the worst one of all. Cause at the end of the ball he actually went a little ballistic and did the craziest thing ever. He proposed to BoA.

Yeah, so he proposed to BoA and BoA turned him down like any right minded twenty-one year old woman would cause hello, the current plan was to finish post-secondary, not worry about flowers and hurried shotgun wedding cause he had a feeling if BoA had accepted, her father would have hunted him down with a shooting rifle and pumped his body full of bullets.

He’s totally the type of guy who likes honoring his commitments regardless of the consequences which in this case was death by hunting rifle. And really he didn't mean to propose, it's just that there was sudden bursts of feelings and then there was BoA in gold and honestly could you blame him for wanting to stay with the gold?

But the night doesn't end in a disaster because BoA gives him one of those toe-curling kisses which tells him she hasn't taken the proposal badly and maybe there is a chance that she might wait for him.

He's totally cool with that.

ii. (a.k.a – strike two.)

It's a little annoying that his family decides to move out of the city to pursue a better life whereas he just wants to stay and be with BoA. But he’s not allowed to. However, he’s a firm believer in their love and this “sort-of” long-distance relationship sets off.

When he has time off from his studies, he decides that he needs to surprise BoA and pay her a visit. He spends one hour on his hair and the next hour trying to pick flowers from his garden for her, never mind the fact that his mother has given him explicit instructions not to raid her flower bed.

Well, he's sticking it to the man and his mother by doing just that. That's for moving out of the city, Mom!

He ends up at BoA's house and just when he's rung the door bell, he discovers he's too chicken to meet her, (what if there's a new boyfriend, and a cool one at that) and he's just about to bail when BoA opens the doors dressed in sweats and a ratty old tee-shirt with stringy hair, looking like her heart would break. Yunho takes a deep breath and composes himself because he may have just seen the most unhygienic but beautiful person ever. He s the flowers at her and smiles like an awkward idiot. The resultant happening is that BoA throws herself into his arms and sobs onto his flannel shirt and as he bemusedly leads her back in and onto the couch, he thinks that he may have come at a bad time.

But BoA clings on like a limpet—a very pretty limpet and pretty soon he's bringing her a cup of hot chocolate with whipped crème and listening to all about how she misses him and how her studies have been so stressful to her and when she finally finishes crying, he's lost control of his mouth and blurts out the first thing that comes to his brain.

"Marry me." He then slaps himself on the forehead. What is with him and on the spot crazy proposals? Is there a cure for a young man who suffers from the bad habit of awkward proposals at the wrong times disease. He doesn't know. He'll just go Google it afterwards though. There's always an answer there.

"I am sorry. You don't have to marry me. But why don't you go have a bath and we'll go and see Sungmin at Red Lobster and about Sunny." This time he makes more sense and BoA's smile goes from confused to amused and she leans over to give him a peck on the cheek.

"I have missed you so much, Jung Yunho." He grins and she shoots him another smile before cringing in distaste after looking at herself and takes off up the stairs.

Crazy proposals have got to stop.

… Yeah right.

iii. (a.k.a – strike three.)

Yunho has never been much for poetry slam nights or whatever. He just doesn't get it. Sometimes, there are guys who spout such nonsense and then there are the girls who do weird stuff like putting paper bags on their head and reciting stuff. Whatever happened to just clean-cut recitals, with no fancy shenanigans? But it's BoA's performance night—they study at the same post-secondary institute (he had begged to move back) and life couldn’t be any better.

He'll say one thing for these poetry places though. They serve some good coffee, not the sludge mix his Mom tries to pass off as coffee. Bleh.

But it's difficult to concentrate on world politics when Sungmin-ssi keeps nudging him (and since when did he get so formal with his slightly annoying but lovable pal?)

It's funny how post-secondary brings everyone together, regardless of the fact that in middle and high school, cool divisions kept you way apart. For instance, Jung Yunho and Lee Sungmin. In high school, that would have been impossible. Sungmin was a natural comedian with a bit of aegyo to him, so all the girls flocked their way towards him. As for himself, he didn’t mind not having many girls flocking towards him—he had BoA.

"What Sungmin?" Yunho bursts out in annoyance after Sungmin nudges him for the umpteenth time.

"There's this guy who keeps looking at Sunny. Scope him out for me will ya?" he says casually before going back to whatever he was doing on his phone. Yunho is about to sock him one in the head—because he's just about had it—when Sungmin says something else.

"Oh look, your girlfriend is here. Hey BoA, over here!"

Oh there she is, looking very pretty with her profusion of curls. Yunho sighs happily.

She looks over and he sends her a wink.

//

"Babe!" BoA greets him enthusiastically and Yunho can find himself smiling happily for the first time in the evening since he found out he had an impromptu meeting with Lee Sungmin.

"Sungmin. Still stalking Sunny I see." She teases with a wicked grin. And BoA and Yunho share a good laugh as Sungmin splutters vehemently that he's not in any way stalking Sunny and that he's only here for the pretty girls and of course to poke fun at her.

But the blush is telltale enough and besides, that excuse got old in a hurry.

It's an awesome evening and Yunho laughs and talks about old memories with BoA, completely closing out on Sungmin. And well, can you blame him?

He suddenly remembers that he has a thesis to complete which completed slipped his mind due to being in the presence of his angel. It is now his turn to splutter and freak out as he worries about not being able to graduate and having to stay back.

It's takes a while to stop him from freaking out but BoA eventually does and when she does, she calms him down and offers to help him in any way possible. He thanks her with a peck and was quickly rewarded with a napkin to the face courtesy of Sungmin.

//

It takes some concentrated cramming aided by some really strong coffee, with plenty of chicory but by six in the morning, Yunho is finally done and he's also revised because every time he looked like was nodding off (because coffee can help you only so much) BoA prodded him awake and then after he was done, ran him through what was expected of him from the Professor to ensure no mistakes were made.

Maybe it's the strong coffee and the lack of sleep or maybe it's just the cold wind in the air—Korea is pretty cold at this time of the year –so once again his mind bails on him before he knows it, he's blurting out that well-worn phrase,

“You're so awesome. Will you marry me?"

BoA however doesn't take offence and that's one of the things that keeps him going because she never seems to whenever he blurts out his crazy proposals. Instead she laughs and drops a kiss on his head.

"Go to sleep Yun-dol, it's the coffee talking." She tucks him into bed and then leaves after he finally falls asleep.

Maybe someday when they’re both 100% ready. ‘Cause even if they are considered adults, they are still kids at heart.

iv. (a.k.a – home run)

A few more weeks till the end of post-secondary and Yunho finds that his days now consist solely of coffee, a hastily grabbed sandwich, pages and pages of notes and lots of midnight oil. It's one vicious cycle and he can’t wait for it to be over because he knows that he'll be very happy when the finals end, so much so that he won't even care if he passes or fails.

Of course he does care but it's the principle of thing in saying it isn't it?

//

He's feverishly going through notes for his Sociology exam and his head is a whirl of numbers and stats but even through all that confusion he can't help but hear some commotion happening in the hallways. And just because he needs a break desperately, never mind the fact that he's going to regret it later on, he goes out to see what it is.

And there in the hallway of his dorm, there is this girl with a violin. She's playing and dear lord his ears are hurting because the violin is wailing as if there were someone being done to death with a very blunt knife.

Anyhow, her voice is on key but the violin playing is way off, but the sight fills Yunho with joy because she's singing about a proposal and he's glad that this is the one time he's not the one saying it because he was quickly getting tired of the embarrassment of blurting out stuff.

"Erm, babe? It's pretty cool that you are singing and I for one would love to hear you continue. However my dorm mates aren't going to be so appreciative because it's finals night you know. They are running on coffee and more coffee , so they just might start pelting stuff at you and while I do not approve of such shameful behavior on their part, I don't want to see you get hurt by fairly accurately hurled projectiles, seeing as you are the love of my life and all."

Has a speech ever made him feel so self-conscious?

Nope, he can't even remember a time when he felt embarrassed.

It's like somebody skipped out on putting the feel embarrassment gene in his body y'know.

"That's all I needed to hear Yunho," she says brightly and it may be the permanent brain damage caused by studying but he's feeling mighty confused and he doesn't know what she wanted to hear. His confusion must be pretty evident because she further elaborates.

"That you love me and all." And as of now she's blushing and smiling.

"But I always loved you," Yunho says in a matter of fact manner because you know, it was the truth after all.

"Yeah, but it's always nice to get 100% confirmation."

Hoo boy. He's feeling a little faint. He's happy but he's a little giddy—both the meanings of the word apply here by the way. He sits down on a beanbag she thoughtfully pushes towards him.

"So, marry me Jung Yunho," she says kneeling down and looking him in the eye.

"Of course. But after the exams finish and I get a ful-time job right?" He asks suddenly, worried because he doesn't want to be like one of those couples that decide to elope with no clear plan for the future. He wants to be able to you know, do everything on a large and nice scale.

"Of course. Wouldn't have it any other way." She says smiling at him, and the threads on his pajamas.

"But a kiss to seal the deal wouldn't go amiss right?" He's looking infinitely hopeful in the way that little boys do when they want something really, really badly.

"Like you even had to ask," she says and pulls him close. Somewhere someone is cheering them on and clapping because it looks like this time they finally got it right.

And that's how Kwon BoA proposed and Jung Yunho accepted.

--

Author’s Note:

HAHAHHAA. I’m currently running on coffee as well and I’m kind of, sort of, possibly am…crazy.  Kind of random one-shot, I will admit. But what do you expect from a stressed out student? :)

Anyway, as always… LOVE YOU GUYS!