Madness

YunBoA: A Series of One-Shots

Yunho and BoA sat facing each other on opposite sides of the dinner table. Yeon Hee and Changmin sat beside their respective friends, ready to offer support, representation and more importantly, keep them in their seats and unable to kill each other during the course of negotiations.

Yunho glared silently at BoA, his expression clearly letting her know that he'd rather be anywhere but here. BoA's own silent but murderous expression let Yunho know, in no uncertain terms, the hell that would be brought down upon him should he even consider budging from his seat before this meeting had concluded.

The air positively sizzled with the fractious tension emanating from the two eldest. Yeon Hee sat uncomfortably at the edge of her seat, ready to restrain BoA at a moment's notice since BoA looked ready to strike should Yunho so much as sneeze. She realized, with a sigh, that she'd be much better able to handle the job if she hadn't had to wear the ridiculous suit she had on; complete with heels, her hair in a bun, and fake glasses. But BoA had insisted and now she simply had to deal with it. She chanced a glance at Yunho, in case he looked like he really was contemplating sneezing; in which case she'd simply have to act quickly and compensate for the suit and heels slowing her down. To anyone who didn't know him well, he looked like a guy who simply couldn't have cared less about what was going around him. But Yeon Hee knew better. He was staring at BoA so intently that Yeon Hee would be hard pressed to point out a moment where he'd blinked.

Changmin decided it was time to get on with the show. If he was lucky, he'd not only live through this but he'd also be done in time to catch a rerun of his favorite show. He straightened his tie and adjusted his suit jacket as he cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. He nodded to signal Yeon Hee that she could begin typing the minutes of the meeting in her laptop. He clicked around on his own laptop to pull up the right document and begin speaking.

"We're calling this meeting to order. Today we're here to discuss the terms of the relationship between one, Jung Yunho, and one, Kwon BoA." BoA immediately leaned over and whispered something to Yeon Hee.

"My client has issues with the term 'relationship,'" Yeon Hee spoke up.

"Because your client has issues with everything," Yunho snorted out. BoA let out a gasp of anger and quickly leaned over to whisper something else to Yeon Hee.

"My client would like to state for the record that you are a pig," she conveyed for BoA. Yunho leaned forward and threw BoA an exasperated look.

"Seriously, BoA? That's how you want to deal with this?" But BoA simply crossed her arms and turned her head away from him.

"Fine," Yunho ground out and leaned over to whisper to Changmin his own message.

"My client says that since we're stating things for the record, he would like to add, for the record, that BoA is an annoying, prissy Princess," Changmin intoned. Yeon Hee looked up from the computer screen.

"I am not typing that about my best-friend," she told them indignantly.

"You were fine with typing that Yunho was a pig," Changmin reminded her.

"Because he is a pig," she insisted.

"And BoA isn't a princess?" At Yunho's insistent coughing, he quickly amended. "Prissy Princess."

Yeon Hee's eyes narrowed at the two but she returned to typing and BoA leaned in to whisper her next argument.

"My client has decided to concede to the term 'relationship' if she may add a disclaimer defining said term."

Yunho stood and took a few steps away from the table and Changmin followed him. After a few moments in discreet conference, they returned to the table so Changmin could announce what they'd decided.

"We agree to hear out your proposed disclaimer but reserve the right to discuss and amend any and all terms before agreeing to them," he said magnanimously.

"Good, we're fine with that. My client would like to add the following parameters." She adjusted her fake glasses and took a list that BoA had just finished writing. "Number 1, though the relationship will be carried out in relative secrecy, it will maintain all the aspects of a legitimate, publicly known relationship such as fidelity, milestone and holiday commemoration, and shows of genuine affection. Number 2, when out in public together, each party will show a minimum level of respect for the other in regards to interactions with the opposite . Number 3, when attending public functions where it is customary to bring a companion of the opposite , out of respect of the relationship, each party is to attend solo. And lastly, number 4, when one or both parties finally regain complete control of their facilities, they will mutually agree to the termination and dissolution of said relationship in a mature and respectful manner. Should it be only one party who comes to their senses, the party who regains their facilities will treat the other, still afflicted party, with respect and kindness."

Yeon Hee finished reading and waited with BoA for a response. For a long minute Yunho simply remained silent with his brows knitted close together. Finally, he slowly turned towards Changmin and simply said, "Huh?"

"Number 1, it's a secret relationship but it's a real relationship so no cheating, you celebrate birthdays, anniversaries and major holidays together, and aside from making out, every once in a while, when you're alone, you hold her hand or give her a hug or kiss her cheek. Number 2, no scamming on babes in front of her. Number 3, you go to parties and dances solo. Number 4, when one or both you finally get over the madness, you'll break up on good terms and do it nicely," Changmin clarified for his client.

"Oh," Yunho said. "Why didn't she just say that?"

"So you agree to our terms?" Yeon Hee asked. Yunho pulled Changmin away for another conference. They were gone longer than last time so BoA looked over at Yeon Hee and gave her a questioning look. Yeon Hee tried but couldn't seem to make out they were saying so she simply gave her best-friend an apologetic shrug. Several minutes later, Yunho and Changmin returned to the table.

"For item number 1, my client agrees with the condition that gifts not be required for milestones and holiday commemoration." Yeon Hee turned to BoA who quickly grabbed her and dragged her away from the table for their own conference.

As they waited for the girls to return, Changmin turned to Yunho. "Yeah, Hyung, I told you I didn't think you'd be able to squeeze that one in."

"Shut up, Min," he growled in return as the girls made their way back to their seats.

"My client is willing to do away with gift requirements for minor milestones on the condition that gifts be required for Valentine's Day and annual anniversaries, should the relationship last that long. Furthermore, since it has already become custom for both parties to exchange birthday and Christmas gifts, my client would simply like to continue that tradition with the understanding that your client is no longer allowed to pick up my client's gifts from drug stores, gas stations, thrift stores, clearance aisles, the streets, and etc. Yes, even if he had done it as a joke. It is simply not going to happen this time around! In addition, gifts are to actually be purchased, not stolen or 'borrowed.' To make things easier for your client, we have compiled a list of acceptable shopping venues and examples of appropriate gifts." Yeon Hee handed over the list to Changmin who handed it to Yunho. They whispered amongst themselves for a minute before Changmin announced their decision.

"We accept on the condition that my client not receive any handmade gifts such as knitted scarves or sweaters or anything embroidered. Furthermore, my client is not to receive embarrassing gifts such as matching shirts, sweaters, hats, gloves, etc." Changmin paused to allow the full weight of the announcement to sink in. He noted that BoA's expression looked slightly crestfallen. He continued. "There will be nothing pink or purple or decorated in glitter or hearts or sparkles or sequins. My client will provide a more detailed list at a later time."

Yeon Hee leaned towards BoA to discuss the new condition and eventually BoA simply nodded. Changmin saw that she did so with a small pout on her face and he had to wonder what kind of crazy pink, sequined matching sweaters she had envisioned herself wearing with Yunho.

"We accept," Yeon Hee stated and added the notes to the documented minutes.

"On count number 2, my client feels that it is most unfair to require him to stop dating other women AND deny him the pleasure of some harmless flirting," Changmin orated, nodding sympathetically towards Yunho. BoA narrowed her eyes and leaned in to whisper furiously to Yeon Hee.

"My client would like to reiterate the pig observation from earlier and point out that turnabout is fair play. If your client is allowed to 'scam' on other girls, then my client is likewise allowed to 'scam' on other guys. My client would also like to note that she is very much looking forward to flirting with a certain former boyfriend named Jay." And just as Yunho and Changmin had thought the worst possible scenario had been presented, Yeon Hee went in for the kill. "My client also thought it would only be fair to add that a certain man named Minho has been looking very cute lately. A flirtation with him might help her cure herself of this affliction sooner."

Yunho leapt out of his seat and dragged Changmin out of his own so quickly that he barely had time to get to his feet. Yeon Hee watched on with a mixture of amusement and pity for him as Yunho whispered quite furiously at him. A few minutes in, Changmin walked over to the table and addressed BoA.

"Hey, there wouldn't be any possibility of you rescinding the fair play part? Like you allowing Yunho to flirt and you not flirting and in return I pay you like a thousand Won?"

BoA glared at him.

"Two thousand?"

BoA's glare turned murderous. Changmin visibly recoiled and turned to head back to Yunho. He made it a few steps before turning back to give it another shot.

"How about if I –" He was cut off by BoA suddenly standing up and Yeon Hee leaping to her feet to restrain her.

"Never mind," he squeaked out hastily and hurried back to Yunho.


A few more minutes later, Yunho and Changmin returned to their seats across from BoA and Yeon Hee.

"After much deliberation, my client has decided to accede to your demand on the condition that it is clearly defined that neither my client nor yours be allowed to flirt with the opposite . In keeping with fairness, of course."

"Of course," Yeon Hee replied magnanimously. It wasn't lost on Changmin that she very subtly shared a knowing look and a secret victorious grin with BoA. But he couldn't fault them. He had to give credit where credit was due and BoA and Yeon Hee were running this negotiation very well.

"As for condition number 3, my client agrees to attending parties and dances solo on the condition that your client meet up with my client no less than a minimum of 2 times during each event for no less than 10 minutes per encounter to engage in 'relationship' activities in secret," Changmin announced, turning an odd shade of pink as he finished reciting the condition.

"Eww, Changmin! Too much information!" Yeon Hee yelped. "That is just gross. You cannot possibly expect my best-friend to –" Yeon Hee was interrupted as BoA leaned in to whisper something in her ear.

"Accept!?" Yeon Hee couldn't keep the shock and surprise out of her voice. "BoA, no. You can't be serious. BoA?"

She turned to look at her best-friend but BoA was determinedly keeping her gaze focused on the wall away from Yeon Hee and her ears had taken on a tint quite similar to Changmin's.

"I…uh, umm I guess we accept," Yeon Hee stammered out, glaring a little at Yunho. Her eyes were accusing him of tainting her perfect best-friend but he simply looked quite pleased with himself.

"Okay," Changmin said uneasily, still hoping to hurry this along. "As for condition number 4, my client has no objections but he would like clarification on what constitutes as ending the relationship in a 'mature and respectful manner,' i.e. 'nicely.'"

"We mean no teasing, mocking, bullying, belittling or any other hurtful behavior. No blackmailing, no threats, no constant rehashing of details or events from the relationship in future fights or arguments. No break-ups via texts, voicemails, e-mails, phones, or any other third party method. You break up face to face in a calm, rational matter. No sudden cold-shoulders or letting them hear it from the rumor mill or simply catching you cheating. No picking fights so they'll dump you first. No pouncing on them off guard. When the time comes, let them know you need to talk about the relationship and arrange for time to talk it out. And there is to be a respectful mourning period after the break up before parading a new significant other in their face. Two weeks minimum," Yeon Hee said, reading from the outline BoA had provided for her.

Changmin had a brief powwow with Yunho before announcing that they accepted.

"Good, now we can just briefly go over the rest of the details and get on with our lives."

"Fine," Yeon Hee quickly agreed.

Changmin cleared his throat and pulled up another document on his laptop. "My client's demands are pretty simple. No clinginess. A guy needs his space. No bugging him during major sporting events and a calendar will be provided for you with dates out and memos will be sent in the event games are pushed back, rescheduled or rematches made. No forcing him to go with you on girly shopping trips for girly things. No PDAs as this is meant to be kept secret. Do not pressure him to suddenly talk about feelings every day. No cutesy pet names. No baby talk. My client is prepared to try and find activities you both enjoy and can do together but do not expect to be attached at the hip."

Yeon Hee conferred briefly with BoA.

"My client is prepared to accept those parameters if your client can live with hers. My client requests there be no pressure in furthering the physical aspects of the relationship beyond my client's comfort level. My client must hold an equally important place in your client's life. She will not simply be someone he can make out with and then forgotten when convenient. No more pranks. No cracking mean and hurtful jokes about her hobbies and interests. No caveman possessiveness. No interrupting her when she's working or just relaxing. An honest compliment from time to time is also required as they will also be provided for your client."

Yeon Hee had noticed Yunho wince at the 'no pranks' clause so she was quite surprised when Changmin quickly announced that they had accepted the terms.

They quickly went through the last few details such as agreeing on at least one official date per week, (which they then had to define "official date" from a "non-official"), acceptable secret couple behavior in public, accept secret couple behavior in semi-public, boyfriend duties, girlfriend duties, mutually agreed upon lies and cover stories, the number of dinners they had to have together during the week, the days they had to hang out with friends, they days had to hang out with each other, etc. Yeon Hee shuddered at the thought that this was simply them becoming a couple. She was terrified of what would happen if they broke up. She took a moment and sent a prayer heavenward that they never broke up and instead got married and lived happily ever after. But then she realized that if they got married, chances were she'd have to help BoA negotiate a prenuptial agreement. It was a lose-lose situation and Yeon Hee suddenly had visions of herself and Changmin being forcibly sent to law school and retiring from the industry. She shook her head to clear it of the thought. No, the powers that be would simply have to strike her down dead before any of it happened.

She quickly added in the last batch of terms to the minutes and forwarded it by e-mail to Changmin. Changmin quickly read through it again to make sure everything was just right before transferring it all into the contracts he had drawn up and printed them out to be signed and stamped. He gave both Yunho and BoA signed copies as well as keeping one each for himself and Yeon Hee. They all shook on the deal and brought the meeting to an end. BoA and Yunho, hand in hand, each holding on to their copy of the contracts, took off together.

Yeon Hee looked over at Changmin as he shut down his laptop.

"What?" he asked, when he noticed her staring.

"I can't believe we just went through that," she told him honestly.

"Tell me about it. I've already taken the liberty of starting to look into law schools for the both of us," he announced as he opened his brief case and began pulling out brochures on various law schools. "Here, take a look. I hear this one has an excellent music program on the side as well."

Yeon Hee was about to protest when the music and soft sounds of whispering and giggles coming from upstairs were suddenly interrupted by a loud, sharp and distinctive cry of "YUN-HO!"

Letting out a long suffering sigh, Yeon Hee reluctantly took the brochure Changmin had been offering her and with a sad and dejected look asked him, "Law schools in America require an LSAT score, right?"

--

Author’s Note:

This was inspired from a line I saw online the other day, which was: “Before you start a relationship, lay out all the details first.” And I thought, “YunBoA!”

Haha. Like always, thank you for the support and comments. 

From now on, Jay will be famously known as BoA's ex-boyfriend in my stories ahahahah.

Also, if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes in any of my stories, please let me know. I do proof-read before I post but sometimes I’m not able to catch all the mistakes.

I would also like to note that I will unfortunately not be able to update for a while. March is what I would call 'Hell' due to the large amounts of work I have to complete. Don't worry, I'll be back before you guys know it haha.