Routine

YunBoA: A Series of One-Shots

 

Jung Yunho could be found in her hospital room every day religiously ever since the accident. He was there in between dance practices and whenever he wasn't busy, right when visiting hours started at 8am and until 10 pm when they were over. But most nights he didn't sneak out until 11pm. Every spare minute of his day was dedicated to her.

All the nurses knew him. Of course they did. He never bothered to give them more than a two finger salute while passing the front desk and going straight to BoA's room. But they all spoke to one another. They were baffled by his strange behavior. They all thought he was BoA's boyfriend at first (after all the media speculations and whatnot--what did you expect?). But anytime a nurse would sneak in to check on BoA's vitals he'd be on the other side of the room with a book in his hand. He wouldn't even look at her. But they didn't know why.

The truth was that he couldn't look at her. Seeing her lay there defenseless and weak triggered his gag reflex. That alone was enough to chase him all the way to the closest bathroom. It physically hurt him. So he didn't look at her… much. But he'd watch her from the corner of his eye from his chair across the small room.

Even though the constant buzzing from the machines she was hooked up to were unnerving, he didn't dare put his iPod on. Because he needed to hear them and assure himself that she was ok. Even if technically speaking she wasn't. At least her heart was still beating. At least he had that.

Her room was full of flowers. From friends, family and her dedicated fans. Teddy bears and balloons. He made sure to stay away when she had other visitors. He didn't like answering questions (even though he knew all the answers.) He kept himself very up to date with her stats and progress. Every day he'd ask her doctor if anything had changed. Nothing ever really did but he'd ask anyway.

She finally woke up, 20 days since she had slipped into the coma. Surprisingly he wasn't there. He was in the studio or something. But the second he walked into the hospital after work, the nurses greeted him with the biggest smiles. He didn't even question the stares he was getting, giving them the same two finger salute he usually did walking by the front desk.

"Yunho-ssi," one of the nurses called out.

He stopped in his tracks, his heart sinking to his stomach. They usually didn't talk to him unless he asked. They knew not to talk. He wasn't exactly the friendliest person ever since the accident. He was not up for being social unless it was absolutely necessary. This accident affected him more than he would have liked to admit.

"She's awake." The nurse replied to the back of his head because he refused to even look at them.

They expected some type of excitement but instead they saw his shoulders slouch and heard him let out an exhausted sigh. He dragged his feet into her room and saw it for himself. She was sitting up on her bed with a brand new batch of flowers decorating her room and brown eyes open, staring back at him.

"Hey," she greeted, smiling at him.

He didn't bother using words to return the greeting. He simply grunted throwing himself into his designated spot and returned to his book. She didn't question it. Her friends and family had visited her earlier, they told her he had been there every day. They filled her in on everything she had to know- they knew Yunho wouldn't.

After two hours of nothing he packed his bag and got up, ready to leave. BoA watched him carefully wondering why he even bothered. He looked like he was in hell sitting in that room with her. However her thoughts were frazzled when he made his way towards her bed. What was he doing?

He gently took her right hand into his, bringing her knuckles up to his lips pressing a soft kiss onto the flesh. As he did every single day before leaving her.

And with that, not even a parting glance he walked out. The same routine continued every time he stopped by. But after the third day of the same thing BoA couldn't remain quiet.

"Why do you even bother coming?" she asked him when he stepped into her room. He had just gotten out of dance practice that much was evident. It was 8:30pm, he looked exhausted and malnutritioned. What was going on with him? If only she knew.

He walked over to her bed, completely breaking out of his new routine. He stared down into her eyes, those brown orbs he missed so dearly. "I got used to the beeping machines here…Its too quiet at the company and at my home." He admitted in a whisper.

And although it wasn't a grand romantic gesture it was all she needed to hear. A smile graced her face, words no longer needed to be exchanged between the two.