Woohyun's Past Part 1

You Make My Heart Race

"Omma! I got a perfect score on my test!" 8 year old Woohyun cheered as he ran into the house. He ran to his mother and showed her the paper.

"Oh...jjinja? That's a surprise." She saud as if it was the first time Woohyun actually got a good grade.

"What do you mean surprise?"

"I meant it's a surprise that someone like you actually got a perfect score. How is that possible?"

Woohyun just ran up the stairs ignoring his mother's comment just now and was on the verge of tears. As he entered his room, he plopped himself onto his bed. He bent down and lifted up his blanket revealing a box. It wasn't just any box; it was a box full of pictures and memories his gradmother gave him before she had died. He looked at the contents inside the box for a while and a tear soon fell down his face. "Halmoni, how are you doing? Is life okay up there? I'm doing fine here with omma and appa. They take great care of me and they love me very much. I'll come visit you when I have the time. I love you very much halmoni." Woohyun hugged the picture of him and his grandmother against his chest and cried. More tears flowed down his face causing his entire face to be soaked.

Soon, it was almost 5pm and Woohyun wanted to go to his friends house to hang out. He wanted to relieve some stress he had by hanging out with his best friends who was only 2 years older than him. He walked down the stairs and asked his mom, not that it was necessary. All she did was nod her head. She probably didn't even hear the question. Woohyun walked to his friends house which was only a few blocks down the street next to the convenience store. He arrived 10 minutes later after a refreshing walk. As soon as he walked up the steps to the door, he knocked on it revealing a 10 year old figure. He was Woohyun's best friend since kindergarten. They had met when fighting over who got to go on the slide first. But in the end, they went on together. The figure in front of Woohyun hugged him real tight.

"Woohyun ah! I haven't seen you in ages! I missed you." The person pouted.

"Me too. But didn't we talk last week?"

"Long enought for me." His arms around Woohyun tightened.

"Yah...can't...breathe..."

"Oh! Mian...hehe. Why don't you come in? My parents said they missed you and wanted to see you." He gave a cheeky smile and yelled calling his parents. "Omma! Appa! Woohyun is here!"

Jeongmin sure is lucky to have parents that care and love him. Woohyun thought. Woohyun walked in and sat down on the couch.

"Jeongmin hyung, are you going on the fieldtrip next Friday?"

"Eo. Are you?"

"Mm." Woohyun nodded and opened his backpack and took out a sheet of paper. Woohyun showed Jeongmin the paper. Jeongmin looked at the paper and questioned.

"You didn't have your parents sign it yet?"

"C-can you ask y-your parents to sign it for me?"

"Waeyo? Why can't you ask you parents?"

"Cause..."

"Cause what?"

"They don't like me."

"Bwoh?"

"B-because they don't want anything to do with me."

"B-bwoh? W-woohyun ah, gwenchana?" Jeongmin scooted closer to Woohyun and placed him in his arms. Woohyun cried into Jeongmin's embrace for a while until a voice interrupted their sweet bonding time. Jeongmin's father was looking at Woohyun with a raised eyebrow and spoke.

"Son, what happened to Woohyun?! Why is he crying?"

"H-he said that his parents don't love him and that they didn't want anything to do with him."

"What are you talking about? What do you mean?"

"He looks very depressed appa. We should do something about it."

"What kind of parents are they?!" Jeongmin's father walked towards Woohyun feeling sorry. He kneeled down on the floor and held Woohyun's shoulders. He looked into Woohyun's sad eyes. "Woohyun ah...gwenchana?" Woohyun just nodded and kept his head down. He felt a little relieved that he had someone to talk to about his parents. "Do you want to talk about it?" Woohyun nodded, a bit unsure if he should or not, but in the end he told them.

"My parents don't like me. They don't love me. They never did." They never told me in my face, but I could feel it. I don't feel loved enough.  My parents act very mean towards me. Not once have they been proud of me or appreciated anything I do. I'm just a useless thing to them; I'm just annoying. They hardly look at me.. I have to survive using my own money. They only have enough food for themselves and sometimes. Love from my parents... They don't love me. They never did and they never will.

"I-I just..." Woohyun started bawling and tears flowing down his face. It was hard to form words. "I just want my parents to love me j-just like any other family out t-there..."

"Oh, I'm so sorry Woohyun ah. You don't deserve to be treated like this. How can there be such people to treat a child this young like that? Okay, how about this, if you ever need help with anything, don't be afraid and come ask us, arrasso?" Jeongmin's father was shocked. He wanted to do so much to help the young boy but knew he couldn't, not when there was no evidence.

"B-but I don't want to be a bother to you guys."

"You won't bother us. I promise we will not leave you and stay by your side forever. We will never leave you. We love you, arrasso?"

"O-okay." Jeongmin's father smiled at Woohyun and embraced him. "G-gomawo...ahjussi."

"Anytime."

They stayed in this position for a while until Jeongmin's mother came into the living room. Woohyun being embraced into his arms caught her eyes.

"What's going on? Is that you Woohyun? Why are you crying?" But Woohyun didn't answer. Instead her husband did.

"Yeobo, Woohyun needs our help."

"Our...help?"

"Let me explain. Woohyun just told us that his parents didn't want anything to do with him, so if his parents don't want him, the least we could do is be there for him. It's very painful to have parents that don't care or love you. I've been through all that as a child and I know how it feels. We can't report this to the police either because we don't know what really happened."

"Oh, jjinja? I'm so sorry Woohyun ah."

"Gwenchana." He said and sighed.

She smiled and held Woohyun's face and brought him closer. She kissed the top of his head and hugged him. Woohyun wrapped his arms around her neck and nuzzled his nose at the crook of her neck.

"Gomawo ahjumma."

"You're welcome."

It was now past 8pm and Woohyun decided to go home. Jeongmin's parents insisted that he stayed the night, but Woohyun said that he was okay and that there was no need. He bid Jeongmin and his parents goodbye and made his way home. On his way home, he wanted to stop by the convenience store to purchase some food that will last him the week. His house hardly ever had food and if it did, it'd only be enough for his parents only while he had leftovers or extremely small portions of it. Woohyun had to buy food that he could afford with the money he finds on the floor and that he saves. The only thing he could afford was instant noodles and bread. He has at least $5-$10 week and all he could spend it on was food, none other than that. There were so many other things Woohyun's wished for, but could never afford it. What kind of 8 year old kid has to pay for his own expenses?

He arrived home and both his parents weren't home, not that it was a surprise. His parents always left him home alone to go clubbing or partying. Not once have they ever took him out on a family date. Woohyun walked up the stairs towards his room. He grabbed a fresh pair of clothes and headed to the bathroom to take a quick shower. As soon as he was done, he laid down on his bed and drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, he just stayed in his room and studied. He really didn't want to talk to his so-called parents. Yes, sometimes he would talk to them when he wanted their attention, but that always failed. No matter what Woohyun did, his parents never paid attention or cared.

That night, his parents came home earlier. He walked down the stairs to find them drunk, again. He was about to ask them if they needed anything, but it earned him a slap across the face. Woohyun was shocked and held the spot his father had slapped him. Never had they hit him before.

"A-ap..pa."

"Appa? Tch. I'm not your father. And you're not my son." Woohyun's father slurred out the words.

"W-w-waegurae.....a-appa?" This just earned another slap on the other side of his cheek. Woohyun's cheeks on both sides was now flaming red. Tears started to form in his eyes and he couldn't hold them back.

"Didn't I tell you not to call me that?!"

"Appa~appa...answer me appa." Woohyun tugged at the hem of his father's shirt and cried and whined. But his father shoved him away and grabbed his mother's hand and dragged he upstairs. Woohyun quickly followed after them and saw that they were doing something Woohyun feared the most. They were packing. Everything. "Don't pack! Omma, appa. Don't leave me here. I'm sorry for being the son you didn't want, just don't leave me. Jaebal, kajima~"

"We never wanted you in the first place anyways! You were just a mistake. I can't believe we spent our 8 years in hell raising you. And still you weren't raised well." Woohyun was flabbergasted. He never thought those words would come out of his own mother's mouth. As soon as they finished packing, they rushed downstairs towards the front door.

"Omma, appa, where are you going?!" Woohyun cried as he asked his parents that were just about to leave the house.

"We're leaving! We don't need a son like you who doesn't listen to us! We never wanted you; you were just a mistake!"

"Andwae! Don't leave me! Kajima!! I promise I'll behave! Please don't say that.....Omma, aPPA!!!!!" Woohyun's voice screeched and he held onto his dad's arm tight. His father roughly shoved him away, causing him to tumble towards the floor.

"Fine! If you don't want us to leave, you leave! Get out!" Woohyun's mom grabbed Woohyun by the collar and shoved him out the door. Woohyun cried on the front porch that winter night. He hugged his knees against his chest keeping warmth, but it was still so cold. Then after minutes of crying, he fell asleep, shivering.

The next morning, Woohyun woke up and remebered the night before and ran towards the door. But to his surprise, it was completely vacant. They left. His parents left him alone. Woohyun fell to his knees and bawled. "Ommaaaaaa! Appaaaaaa!"

He ran to Jeongmin's house as fast as he could and pounded on the door. Nobody opened the door and something on the floor caught his attention. It was a note, messily written.

Woohyun ah,

Mianhe for leaving so sudden.Something came up back in Japan and my family and I have to be there. We didn't want to leave you alone, but we had no choice. We're sorry for not keeping our promise. I promise that I'll make it up to you in the furture. Mianhe...Woohyun ah....saranghae.

Jeongmin ♥

Woohyun was crying harder than ever now that he's finished reading the note Jeongmin had left him. "Wae? Wae? Wae? Why did you have to leave me too? Why did everybody leave me?" What did I do to deserve this? Wae?!!!!!" Woohyun broke down and fell to his knees.

A/N: Annyeong my readers! Was this chapter too long? Haha, mian. Writing this made me cry. :'( Woohyun's past will continue for another maybe 2-3 more chapters. I hope you are all enjoying it ^.^