Crumble

From The Future
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Crumble (v.)

-  Only when we fall apart we realize how we are never really put together.

 

Light is considered to be the fastest thing in the universe, yet despite this it took more than a hundred years before the light from the North Star reached our planet. It only proves the vastness of the universe and how infinitely large it is that even the fastest thing takes years to traverse it.  The opposite could be said with human gossip. Human gossip, despite its miniscule speed in relation to light, seems to travel faster from one point to another than light.

 

It’s funny when you think of how quick words spread despite its deviation from accuracy. Before I came to the university, only a few people bothered to notice me – the intelligent kind. Back then I was just the teenage prodigy that people pass over. I was unpopular to the student populace but was known to the academic staff. Well, in my case was because of my parents’ clout. It didn’t bother me that the academic staff saw me in that light because I was eager to prove them my worth – that I more than my parents’ son, that I can also do wonderful things without them. That was impossible, of course, because even my intelligence was a product of my parents’ genetic inheritance. Being the pragmatist that I am, eventually I’ve decided not to bother outshining their light and instead, refract from it, and in time forge my own.  And forged my own light, I did. Just after one semester people stopped seeing me as my parents’ son and saw my twinkle.

 

Now, it seems, my light’s been shining brightly – too bright for my liking, and for the most asinine reasons in the world. If during my first year here I was Lee Taemin, my parents’ son, now, during my last year I am Lee Taemin, Minho’s boyfriend.  

 

It was the day after Minho met my parents; Kai and I had the same free period so we agreed to spend it together. We were sitting back to back on the grass under a shady tree when a guy wearing a varsity jacket, a member of our soccer team, approached us. He sat adjacent to as if he were our friend. I shifted and faced the guy and Kai did the same too, anticipating the reason he sat there with us in the first place.

 

“You’re Lee Taemin right? Minho’s boyfriend?” he asked me.

 

I looked at Kai before answering, hoping for some sort of an explanation as to why a total stranger knows my name and my relationship with Minho. Kai looked as dumbfounded as I was, if not more.

 

“Uhm… yes? How do you know who I am?” I questioned.

 

“Everybody knows who you are?”

 

“Pardon?”

 

“You know, ‘cause you are Minho’s current boyfriend. You should be aware of that.”

 

I packed my things in my bag, Kai following suit, and stood up.

 

“Actually, I am not aware that becoming Minho’s boyfriend has such benefit.” I replied dryly.

 

The guy stood up and smiled. “Actually it does, among other things… Anyway I only came here to invite you to a party this Friday at our frat house. Bring Minho too… and…” he eyed Kai from head to toe, “…your brother?”

 

“He’s not my –“ before I could finish my sentence he’s already walked away. I turned to Kai, whose face still looked star struck.

 

“What the hell just happened?” I asked no one specifically.

 

“Cool. You just got invited by Choi Siwon.” Kai answered me monotonously.

 

“And so…?”

 

“Tae, he’s only the president of the most prestigious fraternity here in the university. I’ve heard from Taeyon that he’s so picky with who he invites with their parties.” Kai said, his voice still unchanging.

 

“Oh. And who is Taeyon?” I asked him.

 

I noticed Kai blush and a smile grew on my face. “Is she the diner girl?” Kai responded by biting his lip and nodding furiously. “Don’t worry, I won’t ask you to te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter