Brevity

From The Future
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Brevity (n.)

-   The greatest sin in life is in not living.

 

Gordon Hinckley once said that “[l]ife is meant to be enjoyed, not endured.” I figured that as much as I lay with Minho on my reliable couch. Time did not seem to matter for us that is, until Kai decided to show up. He didn’t knock yet again, and as a result he saw Minho and I atop of each other.

 

“Holy motherchuker!” he spluttered. “Eww. Eww. This is gross. Oh my gosh did you two just…” he formed his left thumb and pointer finger into a circle and wiggled his right pointer finger towards it. His face was contorted into disgust but with a slight hint of amusement and pride.

 

Minho laughed at this but I found it mortifyingly embarrassing. I really should insist that Kai learn the importance of knocking.

 

I covered my face with both my hands, trying to hide the physiological evidence of my embarrassment. Minho decided that it was endearing and as such took my hands off my face and kissed me on the forehead. “No need to be ashamed, what we did was just natural,” he teased me and then winked at me cheekily.

 

It was enough to embarrass me again.

 

“Stop it you depraved rabbits. I came down to eat… but my appetite seemed to have disappeared, thank you very much.” Kai said from the side. Although he said this I saw him sit down on a stool, inclining that he would indeed stay for our dinner.

 

Just then, Jinki entered the lab and took in the sight – me hiding on the corner of the couch, Minho still topless beside me and Kai sitting on the stool looking smug.

 

“Uhm, do I need to know what just happened here?” Jinki asked but he was obviously teasing as well.

 

Kai answered Jinki. “They had .”

 

“We didn’t!” I objected.

 

Jinki raised one eyebrow and looked at Minho questioningly. Minho answered by shrugging his shoulder and by saying, “We could have but Taemin junior here barged here on us.”

 

Kai chuckled at this. I found it rather dangerous that those two get along. I threw my shoe at Kai and it hit his head. Then, I hit Minho’s arm. “Stop acting like douches! And for the love of science, let it go, okay?!” I complained.

 

“I don’t know, Tae, it’s going to take a while to let this one go.” Jinki answered.

 

It was embarrassing, yes, but it was wonderful too. I could not ask for more.


***

 

The night went on as usual, well, as usual as it is. Minho, Kai, Jinki and I enjoyed dinner at our lab. I then proceeded with my lab work, Minho acting as my assistant. Jinki decidedly avoided the couch and requested for a bean bag in which he sat down while reading a rather thick anatomy book. Kai, too, was quietly doing his homework. We went on like that for hours, reveling in silence and companionship until it was broken by Victoria barging in to my lab.

 

“Young master…” she began. She only called me that when my parents were around. “Your parents are asking for your presence,” she continued. “I have informed them of your guests and requests to see them too.”

 

“Tell them I’m busy?” I said half-

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter