10

Camping

The wayback was long, too long. You walked quietly, only throwing grumpy comments at Yonghwa when he tried to cheer up the mood. He, on the other hand, didn't seem to lose his good mood whatever mean thing you said to him. The entire walk back he kept bugging you about worrying about him. Couldn't he just let it go? You almost felt relieved when you arrived at the camping.

"I'll follow you to your tent," Yonghwa said.
"Fine." You didn't want him to know how grateful you were that you didn't have to confront your parents all by yourself, since they wouldn't be too happy with you... No matter how irritating you thought Yonghwa was you were still glad that he was with you.

Unconsciously you walked slower and slower the closer you got to the tent. Yonghwa must have noticed, because he linked your arm with his own and dragged you the last meters.

Your parents looked up.
"Oh, you're back." Your mother smiled happily at you and then rested her gaze on Yonghwa. "I talked to your mother earlier today. Thank you for taking care of my daughter." How emabarrassing.
"No problem." Yonghwa flashed her a charming smile and then turned to you. "Good night, I'll see you tomorrow."
"Good night." You felt Yonghwa squeeze your arm before leaving with a polite 'good night' to your parents.

Your parents focused their attention on you and your sister peeked her head out from the tent.
"How was your day?" your mother asked. You shrugged.
"He seems to be a nice guy, that Yonghwa," your father stated. You shrugged again.
"Didn't I tell you you would meet someone here?" your mother squeaked. Jeez, you weren't getting married or anything... You crawled into the tent. It could have been worse...

After breakfast the next day you fell asleep in the sun while working on your tan. You woke up when a shadow covered your face.
"Who the hell is blocking the sun? Move, or die," you said without opening your eyes.
"Good morning sunshine. I've missed you too." Yonghwa ironically said. You opened your eyes and glared at him.
"Move."
"I thought maybe we could rent a canoe and paddle on the lake ," Yonghwa smiled. You sat up.
"Paddle? Me?" You stared at Yonghwa who nodded eagerly. "I'm from a bg city, I've never even seen a canoe in real life." You tried to picture yourself in one. The thought was ridiculous.
"Woah" Hello concrete girl, it's about time you do." Yonghwa grabbed your arm and yanked you to your feet.

The canoe cringed and you waved your arms to keep your balance. Yonghwa chuckled. You glared at him.
"Shut up. Did I laugh at you when you tried to ride that bike?" Yonghwa held in his laughter with a guilty look.
"Sorry."

You sat down in the front and Yonghwa pushed you out from the beach before jumping onboard and sat in the back. You grabbed the paddle.
"Dip it in the water, pull it backwards and out of the water," Yonghwa instructed you and demonstrated in the air. You did as you were told and the canoe started moving.
"It's working," you said surrised.
"Of course it's working." Yonghwa rolled his eyes and started to paddle.

It wasn't as hard as you had imagined and you caught yourself enjoying gliding through the water in a comfortable speed. You paddled for a good three hours, without really talking much, before taking a break. Yonghwa aimed at a small island where you could go ashore.

Yonghwa pulled the canoe onto the grass so it wouldn't float away while you took your life jacket off. You looked at the nature around you, all wild and untouched by humans. Fascinating...

Yonghwa interrupted your thoughts by holding up a plastic bag in front of your face.
"What's that?" you asked and received the bag.
"Lunch," he answered proudly. You opened the bag and looked inside.
"You made these by yourself?" you asked in a surprised tone.
"Yup, and my mum helped me," Yonghwa smiled. You rolled your eyes.

You picked up one of the packages. Sandwiches... It wasn't much, but he was just so cute...

You sat down on a big stone by the water to eat. You looked out over the water.
"We should've brought a guitar... That's the only thing missing," you said quietly.
"We could sing something," Yonghwa suggested. You gave him a glare. You rather not sing in public. He noticed your look and he took back what he had just said. You ended up sitting next to each other, just enjoying the view.

"We should be getting back," Yonghwa interrupted the still silence.
"Why? You promised your parents?" you teased as you got on your feet.
"No, I promised yours." That sure shut you up.

Once again you were struggling to get in the canoe. It wobbled back and forth and made it impossible for you to get to the front. Yonghwa went into the water. He grabbed your hand.
"Hey airplane, stop waving around or you'll fall over."
That didn't help. You got so startled from his firm grip around your hand that you slipped on the wet canoe floor. A small sound escaped from your throat before you fell and hit your knee on one of the perches. Yonghwa stopped you from falling any further. You whimpered a little and sat up on the perch to examine your knee. It was bleeding, typical.

"Are you okay?" Yonghwa jumped into the canoe.
"I'm fine, it's just a scratch," you mumbled and covered your knee with your hand. Yonghwa gently pushed your hand away, careful not to touch your knee.
"It doesn't look too good," he frowned. You shrugged.
"It doesn't hurt anymore and it'll stop bleeding soon," you said casually.
"Maybe you shouldn't paddle," Yonghwa said. What?
"I'm not paddling with my knees you know."
"You could get sick from an infection or something."
"Why are you treating me like a baby? I'm not a weakling. Is this because I'm a girl?" you asked angrily.
"This has nothing to do with your gender," Yonghwa said.
"You would never tell a male friend not to paddle just because he scraped his knee. This is just so..."
"I'm just worried!"