1

Camping

You looked through the car window at the fields passing by. You didn't even know that there were so many fields in your country... It was your first time seeing them (city girl) and you were already sick and tired of them and wanted to return to the city.
"I want to go home," you muttered. Your mum turned to look at you from the passenger seat.
"You know it's for your sake," she said softly.
No, I don't know. I don't want to go to some stupid camping!" you blurted angrily.
"You need a change," your mother said, trying to keep her voice calm. "A change of environment, a change of... people." You rolled your eyes.
"So that's what this is all about, my friends?"
"No, it's about you. Hopefully you will find someone to socialize with when we arrive. I'm sure you'll meet someone who, maybe, can help you look at things differently."
"Meet someone!? Mum, we're going to live on a camping! Who could I possibly meet there!?" you shouted in frustration.
"Well, we're already on our way. End of discussion," your mother hissed  and turned back front. You sighed and picked up your phone to text your boyfriend.

 

You had arrived. You got out of the car and stretched your legs as you looked around. The camping wasn't as deserted as you had imagined, but still there wasn't much action.
"Can you help me with these?" your father asked and tried to hand you some sticks that, apparently, was supposed to hold up the tent. Instead of taking them you got your guitar from the trunk of the car.
"I'll be by the lake," you said and walked away. Your dad was about to call you back but your sister stopped him.
"Give her some time to get used to the situation, I'll help." Sometimes she was good to have around, but mostly she was just a pain in the , just like your parents.

 

You sat down in the grass by the water and took the guitar out of it's case. Your irritation immediately gave in as you started to play, letting the music flow through your veins, from your heart through your arms finally reaching your fingers and your guitar. You played all the songs you knew while you quietly sang to yourself, and when you ran out of songs you just improvised and tried to come up with a song of your own. At dusk, when the sky was coloured pink by the sun you stopped playing and just sat.
"Don't stop," someone said behind you. You jerked around. A guy in your age stood up from the bench by the fireplace he'd been sitting on and approached you.
"How long have you been sitting there?" you asked suspiciously.
"Since you played: 'Always Be Mine'," he smiled innocently. That was a long time... You didn't like it when people listened to you playing, especially not uninvited…
"You're really good."
"Hmpf, thanks." You stood up and started to walk away from the intrusive stranger.
"I'm Jung Yonghwa," he called after you. "What's your name? You hesitated but then you decided to be polite (and hopefully you'd get rid of him) and called your name to him over your shoulder. He seemed content with the answer and stayed where he were and let you go back to your tent.

 


"Oh, good you're back. Dinner's almost ready," your mother said as you returned. You sat down on the blanket outside the tent and waited for your sister to arrive with the food from the general kitchen. You finished eating and stood up.
"Could you help your sister with the dishes?" your mother asked hopefully.
"Bathroom," you simply said and walked away, and not towards the toilets. You strolled around among the tents for a while and got to a timeworn playground. It was starting to get dark now and you felt like a small child doing something it wasn't allowed to. Sudden anger boiled in your blood, what the hell were you doing here!? You felt a sudden urge to kick something. A decaying wooden bench was standing nearby, hence it became the victim.
"Hey, I'm trying to get some peace here!" Someone sits up on the bench and scares the crap out of me. That guy from before…

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The song referred to in this chapter is performed by F.T. Island
(Finally a song where I actually understand the lyrics ... ^^)