A Familiar Touch

A New Beginning

 

Jieun stood by the window sill. She watched the Sun slowly fade into the night, and the moon gradually appeared. Seconds passed, minutes passed, hours passed. She simply stood there. How could she kick away all thought? How could she empty her mind? How can she take away the frustration she felt?

 

She knew what was coming for her.

 

For revealing the secrets of Heaven even before Kai and Suzy entered it, Jieun knew, she had to pay the price.

And she could only feel apologetic, to him. He who was waiting for her in Heaven. They promised to meet. He would wait for her till she arrived. She knew he would. But she would let him down, because she wouldn’t be able to come.


 

“Let’s continue shall we?” Kai asked with a warm bright smile. He then reached out his hand for Suzy’s. He just felt like he should.

“Don’t misunderstand, I’m just afraid you’ll fall with these uneven pathways.” Kai looked away shyly. With an ounce of hope that Suzy wouldn’t reject his offer.

Suzy returned the smile genuinely. She felt so much better under Kai’s care that night. She didn’t hesitate to put her hands in his. But merely smacked it down. And chuckled.

Kai sighed inwardly. What had he expect?

He picked up the bag Jieun packed for them, turned and took off.

Suzy sensed his disappointment and giggled to herself. She ran a few steps to chase after Kai who was already a few metres ahead of her.

“So it seems like you already fell for me?” Suzy joked as she held on to his arm.  

Kai felt heat rise up to his face. “D-don’t misunderstand! The path here is just a little slippery!” Kai turned away to avoid eye contact with Suzy. But he was happy. He felt something dancing within him, letting out some sort of energy that took away all his fatigue.

After approximately an hour of walking, they found themselves in a place with absolutely beautiful scenery. It was place they could never find on Earth. It gave off a mystical feeling, and both of them felt attracted to its beauty. They took each step unconsciously, unknowingly; it brought them closer to a hut located just by the waterfall there.

But the thoughts of the beautiful scenery broke when they heard something unusual. 

It sounded like a cry, some sort of groan.

Both of them inched forward with a little hesitation in every step they took.

The sound grew louder and louder, it was clear now, someone was crying in pain.

Suzy ran forward and pushed the door of the hut down.

There he was, a man who looked like he was seventy, a full head of white hair, with a white beard. Okay, not technically white, it was red. Stained with blood.

Suzy gasped as she went forward without any hesitation. She knew she had to help him, with any power she had within her. She had to save him. She didn’t want someone to die in front of her.

She went forward, analysed the situation the man was in. She looked around his body, to see if he had inflicted any physical wounds.

Nothing.

The pain was caused from the inside. Probably his organs.  

And there was nothing much they could do about it.

 

“W-Water… please…” The man managed to use whatever remains of his energy to murmur the words out.

“Kai? Would you?” Suzy looked up to see Kai with an anxious expression. She knew that Kai needed a breather. He was helpless in a situation like this. She could see it in his eyes. Ever since they stepped into the hut, he brought in some sort of uneasiness. 

Kai took a bowl from the kitchen closets and went by the waterfall. Even though he had to do it fast, he managed to relieve the feelings that overwhelmed him. He didn’t know what caused it, but being in the hut himself, experiencing such a situation, gave him strange feelings. It seemed familiar, that scene.

But no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t think of why. Some strange feeling irked him, but it was unexplainable.

Nevertheless, he quickly brought the bowl back to the hut.  He squatted beside Suzy and passed her the bowl. Eyes full of concerned as he looked at the old man.  The man looked back at him, eyes full of hope and ease. Kai almost instantly looked away. That gaze. That look. It wasn’t new. It was familiar. Absolutely familiar. But he couldn’t bring himself to say it. He was unsure still.

“Thank you child.” The man said as he took a sip from the bowl. He mischievously glanced at Kai and smiled before sipping another mouthful of water.

“Are you alright sir?” Suzy said, carefully lifting the bowl to prevent it from spilling on the old man.

“Ah, it’s nothing. Blame my old age.” He backed away from the bowl, and tried to get up with the help of the furniture around him.

Suzy immediately stood up and held his arm for support. Kai did the same. But as his fingers curled and firmly grasped the old man’s arm, he felt a strange feeling running through him. Kai backed away, losing the grip he had on the man. He lifted his other hand to his head. He felt an excruciating pain running through his brain. It blurred out all his conscious thought. Pictures of an elderly man. And a little boy started popping up in his head. Before he knew it, everything slipped into darkness.


 

“Grandfather, grandfather! Look, look! Look what I caught from the garden!” a little boy with black hair and brown almond shaped eyes ran up to an elderly man, who looked probably in his 60s.

He held a little green grasshopper clasp between his two hands. He opened it slightly to let the elder man see what he had caught.

“Ah… That’s nice, does it have a name?” The elderly man took a quick peek at his grandson’s little captive and smiled

“Oh! Hmmm… what about… Jaesuk?”

“Jaesuk? That’s a nice name Kai. But you know what Jaesuk would like the most?”

“What grandfather?” The little boy had eyes beaming with curiosity. Grandfather always filled him with interesting facts and stories. He never failed to garner the interest of the little 4 year old boy.

“He would love to be set free, to be with his friends, and to live his life.” The elderly man patted the little boy on his head, and signalled at him to let it go back to the garden.

“But… but...” The boy pouted as he took another look at his new found friend.

“You know what, Grandpa, you’re right. I’m sure Jaesuk would like that too… “ He squatted back down, and set the grasshopper on a bright green leaf.

“Goodbye Jaesukkie! Do visit me!” He happily waved goodbye at his little green friend. He turned away and ran up towards his smiling grandfather. He held his arm and walked back into the mansion together.


 

Kai regained back his conscious. He felt something soft dabbing on his forehead. His eyes fluttered open to see Suzy by his bed side, wiping the drips of cold sweat he had on his face.

His sudden and abrupt consciousness gave Suzy a shock as she jerked away.

Kai sat upright as he scanned around the room. There he was. Seated on the stool, stirring a cup full of tea.

He looked up. His eyes met Kai’s.

“G-Grandfather?”