A Decision to be Made

A New Beginning

 

Kai searched around frantically. He finally met his grandfather after thirteen years. He wouldn’t just leave like that. Right? Kai thought with a little doubt in his words.

He had to find his grandfather. He had to.

He looked, scanned every corner of the portion of the forest they were at. He ran about in circles, looking through the dark shades of trees.

This was when a figure emerged from the trees.

“G-grandfather?” Kai yelled out to the figure he had just seen.

But it wasn’t his grandfather. It was someone else. A boy appeared. A boy who looked just about Kai’s age. He had a light shade of brown hair, with black round eyes. He was handsome, and resembled Kai a little.

Both of them had eyes were filled with hurt, pain and sadness. But he had a tinsy bit of mischievousness in it too. Some sort of evil – the elder generation would say.   

He smirked. Which somehow angered the not so amused Kai.

“What did you do to my Grandfather?” Kai eyed the figure in front of him from head to toe.

“Your grandfather?” He raised his eyebrow with the same smirk as before.

He then bent down as he picked up a leaf from the floor.

Kai watched his actions cautiously. His eyebrows furrowed.

The boy picked up the leaf. Place it in his palm. He placed his other palm above it. And as he removed it, the only remains were dust.  

“I couldn’t possibly do something that didn’t really exist. Right?” He said with sarcasm. He looked away from the dust in his hands, and looked into Kai’s confused eyes.

 “What are you talking about!?” Kai shouted. Not bothering to lower his volume for this rude guest in front of him.  He wasn’t just rude, but odd too. What did he do to the leaf that was there just before?

“Exactly what I said. Your Grandfather. He. Never. Existed.” He emphasized on the last two words specifically. And gave Kai a cold icy glare.

“But.” The figure looked away from Kai, and back at his palm. He blew away all the dust on his hand.

“But?” Kai asked with a little hesitation.

The boy watched the dust gradually fly up higher and higher, and disappear into nothingness.

“There’s a way. To get him back.”

“Really?! How!”

“It’s really simple.” He gave his signature evil grin.

All humans are the same. Selfish. 

 


 

 

Can I really do that? But I should… shouldn’t I? For grandfather… I should… I should… i… should… sh…ould

Kai paced around same spot the figure named Taemin had left him at.  

Moments of flashback spurred in Kai's head once again.

 

If you want your grandfather back, it’s simple.

Leave the girl alone in the forest.

And meet me back at the hut during nightfall.

Don’t even try to cheat.

The trees have eyes…

 

He laughed sarcastically once more before he completely disappeared back into the forest.

Kai just stood there. The words replayed in his head.

Time slowly passed by as Kai just stood there. Thoughts raced throughout his mind.

Suzy found Kai, the dazed Kai, and she broke him out of his thoughts

"Did you find him?" Suzy placed her hand on Kai’s shoulder. Which caused him to jerk up, shocked at the sudden contact.   

"Uhhh... yeah! He said he had to get some stuff from a shack not too far away. He'll be back by nightfall." Kai lied. His mind was too baffled by everything. And before he set his mind straight. He wanted to think through things slowly and thoroughly.

 

Both of them retreated back to the hut. But Kai’s mind was still overflowing with thoughts.

What should he do?

Should he get his grandfather back after thirteen years … or stay with a friend that he just met a few days ago?

Even an idiot would choose the first option. Blood is definitely thicker than water. But Kai was hesitant. Suzy wasn’t just anyone.

But then he thought. What was the worst that could probably happen?

 Suzy knew the way out. Didn't she? She'll be fine… and she'll understand right?

The devil in Kai gave him an explanation. Which at that time seemed logical to the Kai that was obsessed with meeting his grandfather once more.

 

Which was why he decided to proceed as plan.

He spent the entire day devising his plan. The thoughts of seeing his grandfather once again took over his mind. He clearly loved his grandfather and wanted him back.  So much that the safety of his first friend didn’t matter.

 

At nightfall, Suzy grew even more tired. Kai then told her to get some rest as waited for his grandfather.

He waited till Suzy had fallen asleep. And he started his plan. Checking if the coast was clear, he then packed his things and left. He took a final glace and turned away. Leaving the hut without looking back once more. It made it easier for him with the guilt that was overwhelming him. But he knew. Deep down. She’ll understand. He convinced himself once more. And left.

 

He heard a wolf’s howl, which caused him the turn back in the direction of the hut. Nothing. He shook his head, and continued his journey forward.

Step by step, he found himself landing up at the pavement they were once at. He then recalled the moments of both of them walking down this pavement together.

 

Suddenly, he heard some sort of scream.

It wasn’t a normal scream.

It was Suzy's distinct clear and high-pitched voice that let out that sound.  

 

He froze at his spot. What did he do? He felt as though cold water had splashed on his entire being. Waking him up from his delusional mind. What the hell was he thinking…

 

W-what… what if something happens to Suzy… !!!!

That was all he could think of before his legs instinctively turned back. Bringing themselves one in front of another in the fastest pace they could ever go. His heart pounded loudly in his ears. His fatigue left his body as all he could think of was the guilt he would feel if he had let anything happen to her… 

 

His thoughts of Suzy broke as he was reminded of his main purpose. And he stopped his tracks. He turned around once more.

 

“Grandfather…” Kai murmured under his breath.

 “He would understand…” He took one last look behind and continued his run.

He knew Grandfather would. And if fate allowed it, they would meet once more. He knew Grandfather was where he was supposed to be. In heaven. Someone told him so. The voice in his head did. A soft angelic voice did. It did sound a little like Jieun though… but Kai erased those thoughts from his mind as he quickly ran back to the hut.

 

He knew now. The present was more important than the past.

 


 

 

 

Kai ed his body forward like his life depended on it. But of course it wasn’t his life. But Suzy’s.

He would blame himself for eternity if anything happened to her.

Soon he found himself back at the hut. He tried to catch his breath as he slowly took one step by one step forward. He no longer heard the cries and screams he heard before.

He twisted the knob of the door carefully. Bracing himself for the worst sight he could ever expect.

 

But it was on contrary. He saw Suzy lying on the bed. The same image of when he had just left the hut. Suzy's eyes fluttered open to see Kai's worried expression. She got out of bed and stood up. Puzzled.

And Kai in an instant, went forward, pulled her into a tight embrace.

 

"Is something wrong?" Suzy said, half-awake.

"I’m... I’m... sorry.... I shouldn’t... have left... I’m sorry" Kai's voice was shaky as he felt the tears well up in his eyes.

"Can we just stay in this position for a while?" He pleaded.  Knowing she was in his embrace, he finally felt assured.

Suzy stood there. Not speaking a single word. She felt at that time, their hearts connected. She returned his embrace by patting him on the back. And returned her words softly. 

"Its okay."

Kai felt the warmness of her tone. He felt something tugging within him.

How could he have just given up Suzy. He should find an alternative. To have them both. Both Suzy and his Grandfather. He should never have just picked one.  

That was selfish for him. He cursed himself in his brain. He would never let this situation repeat itself.

He loved them both. But no matter what. There would be a way. Wouldn’t there?

 

He explained to Suzy as he hung his head low. Embarrassed at his selfish actions.

"But you’re back now. And that was what was important.”

She picked up his hand. And patted it.

“There must be another way okay?"

 

She smiled. He smiled. 

 


 

What Kai didn’t notice before he left, was that Taemin was already standing at the end of the pavement.

He smiled once more looking at the appearance of Kai's figure, as though he has expected this outcome.

But his eyes widened with disbelief when he saw the figure turning back, and slowly becoming smaller and smaller after hearing a simple scream.

 

He was different from the rest.

Taemin smiled as he slowly watched Kai's figure disappear back into the forest.

 

He was special afterall. 

 


 

 

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR (in advance)

thanks for the comments!

& Do continue commenting (it seriously gives me motivation) *winkwink*

;D 

Poster cr: Cracker