The Forest

A New Beginning

 

Kai, Suzy and Jieun continued their walk after listening to the story. They asked no questions, simply because they felt it was pointless.  

 

They managed to reach the shack in half an hour. Kai turned the doorknob of the door ever so carefully for fear that it might just drop off. He opened the door to see a cozy environment despite the run down condition. Paintings filled up the walls of the shack; empty canvas lay around the corners with a few cans of paint beside them. Inside also lay a wooden table with wooden chairs lined around it. In the middle of the table was a pot of tulips, yellow, green, blue, red … every color of the rainbow.  Some exquisite ornaments too were placed by the side of the window sill and on a shelf at the extreme left side of the shack.

 

Just as Kai and Suzy were about to rest from their tiring journey, Jieun grabbed two lanterns from the shelf and placed it on the wooden table.

 

“Okay guys, you see the forest just behind the shack? You have to go through that. You have to find him. Please go and return safely. We don’t have much time, bear that in mind.”

 

She anxiously packed some bread for Kai and Suzy, placed it on the table and signaled to them to take it. Even before Kai and Suzy could say anything, they heard the door slam behind them.

 

Jieun was behaving strangely. Was all they could think of. Ever since she had told them the story of Jinyoung’s past, Jieun seemed to behave a little more distant towards them.

 

“What should we do now?” Kai asked Suzy, who seemed to be a little less energetic than her usual self. She was probably tired of all the drama that happened in an entire day.

 

“I guess we have to depend on ourselves.” Suzy forced a reassuring smile to Kai. She felt weak. A little too weak than usual. It wasn’t just the fatigue she received from an entire day of walking and work.

 

They both walked down the marble pavement, and before they knew it, only trees surrounded them, and the trail of marble pavement had ended.

 

Struggling in the darkness, Kai moved his lantern three hundred and sixty degrees to make out the situation in front of him. Despite having the lanterns, it was still difficult to see anything. Furthermore, in an unfamiliar surrounding, all they could do is be careful and stick together.

 

Suzy felt her eyes closing. She felt her mind blanking out. She felt herself falling forward, only to be held up by a pair of warm hands.

 

Kai could see her eyes losing focus, she could barely even keep her eyes open. The shoulders he held felt cold. Absolutely cold.

 

He placed her arm around his shoulders and helped her to keep balance.  Suzy’s body felt much colder than usual and her face was filled with cold sweat. Kai knew he had to find a place for them to stay and camp for the night. They couldn’t move on with Suzy in that condition.

 

Suzy felt as though something was pulling her body down, she felt weak, and with every step she took, she felt weaker and weaker. She felt her remaining amount of energy getting out of her. And before she knew it, everything slipped into darkness.

 

Suzy felt her freezing cold body getting warmth; she wasn’t in a typical sleeping position. She was seated, on the ground, her back against something hard and rough, but she felt her body leaned towards the right side. On something not as hard and rough as her back. She opened her eyes to see Kai right beside her. He had an awkward expression but looked away when Suzy woke up and looked at him.

 

Suzy tried to recall what had happened and after moments of thought, it came to her.

 


Kai felt Suzy fall into an unconscious state. He had to put in more effort for her every step, and it got difficult. Her body swayed from side to side and it was hard to prevent her from falling. Considering she was almost as tall as he was.

He then turned her body to face him and slowly and carefully turned his body around. He placed her hands on his shoulders and squatted down gently. He pulled her arms to his chest and supported her legs up. And he piggybacked her.

 

Kai felt her head lying on his shoulder. He turned around and his head was simply a few inches away from hers. He nervously jerked his head away. He felt at every step, his heart pounded harder and harder. He felt butterflies unleashing from their cages of his stomach and dancing about his body. He felt an uncontrollable feeling overwhelming his entire body. And he didn’t know what exactly it was.

 

After walking for quite a bit, Kai managed to find a small cave with a river in front of it. A perfect place to stay for the night. He carefully placed Suzy on the floor of the cave and made sure she wouldn’t fall. He went to fetch some branches to set up a small fire. He ripped a slight portion of his shirt and rinsed it in the water of the river. He came back and started wiping Suzy’s body. He stared at her elegant features of her face as he carefully dabbed her face, then to her arms, and to her legs. After that he rinsed the cloth once more and placed the cloth on her forehead. Since the cloth couldn’t stay on with Suzy sleeping upright, Kai let her head slowly fall on to his shoulder and he placed the cloth onto her forehead.

 

He tried to fall asleep too, but to no avail. His heart wouldn’t stop pounding loudly, and his thoughts wouldn’t stop running from point to point. Hours passed by and Kai’s shoulders were getting numb from staying in the same position for so long.

 

Kai felt slight movements, and he turned his head, to see Suzy’s eyes slowly flutter open. Her eyes met his, and he felt like something was piercing into his eyes. His head turned away immediately and involuntarily. He was embarrassed.

 

Suzy got up from her position and the towel fell onto her lap. Dazed, she picked it up and realized what had happened. She felt her body feeling much better before. She turned to Kai and smiled, and thanked him earnestly. Kai scratched the back of his head, nodded, looked up, and smiled back.


Soon, the first rays of the morning sun shone into the cave, and the birds of the forest whistled a familiar tune. Suzy and Kai ate the bun that Jieun had packed for them and left the cave. They walked on and on, uncertain of what they were supposed to do. But somehow, their intuition told them, that they were going on the right way.

 

They walked up higher and higher, and they saw an extravagant sight. Exotic looking flowers laid around, birds and butterflies flew all about. They had unique patterns and it looked as though they were dancing around the waterfall. A small hut was located right beside the waterfall. Kai and Suzy knew they had to enter the hut. It was a simple intuition that everyone would do.

 

As they inched closer, they heard coughs and sneezes, they heard someone groaning in pain. They heard someone asking for help, as though he or she was dying. 

 


 

Okay hi. i know its been super long since i updated, for that i apologise ;(  I know how it feels to wait for a fic ;( 

Ive been busy this few weeks. (Ironically, considering how i have about 5 months of holiday. & I'm not working HAHA) 

I went to Korea after a few days after my previous update. & It was freezing cold there ._.

 

Anyway enough of that! Since i'm kinda free nowadays i'll try to update more! :) 

Okay wait, im not actually that free. My teacher had me do some free labour :/  ok. 

Thanks! Drop by a comment or any advice! :)