Guardian

A New Beginning

“Guardian?” Kai and Suzy both chorused together.

“Yes a guardian. I have been your guardian since you two first stepped into the world. Since birth everyone had a destined time to leave the world. A guardian was tasked to every soul to ensure that this destined time would never change. You could call us a shield, a protection. And I was tasked to both of you. Which is a very rare case indeed because every hour, minute, second, millisecond made a difference in determining your own guardians.”

I can’t believe I actually almost got convinced. Suzy thought to herself. All this seemed so silly but somewhat real to her.

“My dear Suzy, this is not a dream.”

DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD?

“No Suzy, you didn’t. It’s just that because I am your guardian. I can listen to your every thought. Kai too. I can read both of your thoughts. It works this way because only this way I can know of your thoughts and prevent anything bad from happening.”

Suzy wasn’t convinced. How could someone even believe such things? It sounded like utter rubbish.

Kai on the other hand was too engrossed in his thoughts.

A guardian. I read about that somewhere before. Created by the Gods to ensure the peace of the world. All hell broke loose when the creatures broke out from the gates of hell and started to mass slaughter the people. It was the job of the Gods to protect these people. Therefore they created the Guardians.

“Yes Kai you are right. The Gods created us a long time ago to ensure the peace of the world. Okay look. I know this is all too hard to take.”

“But isn’t it just a myth?” Kai cut her in before she could finish what she wanted to say.

“Nope it isn’t. Both of you reached your destined time. Both of you have died.”

Suzy and Kai both felt something odd tugging at them. Everything did feel too weird. Both of them remembered dying. But somehow they ended up here.

Which reminded them. Where were they anyway?

“If we both died, then where are we now?”

“Good question Suzy. Now you are at my house. And it’s on the outskirts of Heaven.”

“Okay… So how can you prove that this is a dream and that we are really dead?” Suzy said with a tinge of suspicion and uneasiness. She wanted to believe that this was a dream with all her heart. She wanted to wake up from this hell and be back with the warmth of her loved ones.

“Well, both of you remembered dying right? Oh and also, just try feeling your chest.” 

Suzy and Kai both looked at each other.

They both carefully placed they right hand at the left side of their chest.

Nothing.

No lub-dub sound to signal their life.

They were dead.

Suzy felt her right hand lifelessly fall on her lap.

She felt a warm hand grabbing her left hand that was still on the table.

Jieun smiled at her. “It’ll be fine. Just trust me.”

“Okay, it’s getting late. Both of you off to bed! Suzy go up the stairs to the room on the left, Kai to the right. Oh and if you wake up tomorrow, you’ll probably have a final confirmation that this is not a dream.”

Suzy dragged her feet behind Kai and entered the room.

Kai observed her lifeless state from the corner of his eyes. Everything did seem so unrealistic to both of them. But both of them didn’t shake of the thought that this was just a bad dream. They believed that once they drift off to sleep. They would wake up to the comfort of their own familiar surroundings.

They both prayed that night. That they would wake up from this awful dream.

 

 


The rays of sunlight streamed through the window of Kai’s room.

Kai rubbed his eyes and turned around to avoid the direct stream of sunlight that was in his face.

It took him 5 seconds before he took hold of the situation and sat up. He was in the same room as he fell asleep in last night. It wasn’t a dream.

He got up and went out of the room. The house was silent. He decided to go to the front porch for some sunlight. He stealthily opened the front door, so as to not wake anybody up. He saw Suzy lying on a patch of grass. Simply staring at the sky.

He walked up to her and sat down at the space beside her. They needed to talk.

“I guess this isn’t a dream?” Suzy questioned Kai who took a seat beside her. She sat up and simply looked at him. He still looks the same. Everything looks the same. Suzy thought to herself. And sighed at that thought.

“I guess not.”

Suzy needed someone to tell it in her face. That this wasn’t a dream. It wasn’t a dream she was in.

And she just got her confirmation.

She slumped back down on the grass.

“Hey Suzy, do you think we can ever go back to being alive again?” Kai asked. If this wasn’t a dream, he at least hoped to go back to his old life. Even though it wasn’t what he liked at all, he felt like he wanted to start afresh. His illness came to him as a surprise and he didn’t feel like he managed to cherish his life at all.

“How would I know?!!” Suzy yelled. Her patience was at its limits because she couldn’t bear the load of thoughts crashing down on her. She was dead. No more Daehyun. No more family. No more friends from school.

Kai was shocked at her sudden outburst of anger but he did not speak a word. He understood why she behaved this way. The situation was too hard to comprehend not just for her, but for the both of them.

“Sorry… I didn’t mean to. It’s just everything is so hard to accept. And I’m not ready to let go of my previous life…” Suzy felt a tear stream down her cheek.

“Um… It’s fine. I understand.” Kai looked away and patted Suzy on the back awkwardly. He wasn’t used to doing things like this. For a matter of fact, it was his first time doing such a thing.

Suzy felt the effort Kai was putting in. She felt like he finally opened up to her. She wiped her tear-soaked face and plastered a bright smile on her face. If she couldn’t go back in time, she could at least look forward to a better tomorrow. She thought to herself. There was no point in moping around in the past. If everything really wasn’t a dream, she could at least work harder to make the best out of God’s second chance in a new beginning.

 

 


However, they both didn’t notice Jieun at the window looking at them. She smiled warmly at the sight. Having been both of their guardians, she knew them inside out.

She knew that Suzy was a friendly and humorous person. She knew Suzy had a very mature thinking and she was well-liked by everyone.

She also knew that Kai always kept to himself. She knew he longed for a friend of his own. She knew that he had a warm heart even though he never showed it.

She knew that they were probably somewhat the opposites of each other.

And she knew that they were puzzles that could fit each other perfectly.

 

 

okay. Its so cheesy, im cringing to myself. HAHA. Happy Birthday to my friend who would never see this. HAHA.

I'll update soon. I guess... haven't had much time to update lately! :(

Oh btw, they'll start their journey to heaven in the next chapter! Sorry for dragging it so much. I don't know how long this fic will be...

Oh and you shold seriously listen to Lee Seung Gi's Looking Back. The song sounds a tinsy sad but it was great while writing the fic! HAHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iizdrv4IHI