Disappearance & Appearance?

A New Beginning

 

After the story, questions started filling their minds. They were finally back in reality. So why was his grandfather out here in the forest? But before they could ask, Kai’s grandfather said he was tired from the story and wanted to rest back in the hut.

Kai took this time to take a breather. With the appearance of his grandfather, his childhood memories started reoccurring in his mind. He closed his eyes, as he reminisces the childhood he had spent with his dearest grandfather.  He smiled at the times he played silly games with his grandfather and the jokes that his grandfather had played on him, until he remembered why they ended.

Suzy felt curiosity rising in her. Didn’t Kai say he spent his childhood in loneliness? She questioned herself thinking whether she may not have listened to Kai attentively.

She left the hut after boiling a kettle of water and placing it on the table. She saw Kai out in the open, staring at the continuous gush of water from the waterfall. She closed her eyes as she slowly walked forward. The sound from the waterfall gave her some sort of assurance, and she felt comfortable in its company. Her heart felt assured, as her problems left her mind.

She wanted Kai to feel this assurance too. She could see the confusion in his eyes just before he left the hut.

“Listen to the waterfall.” She whispered to Kai.

Kai did as he was told. He heard the waterfall gush the water down like the sounds of drums. He felt a certain rough rhythm to it. But he liked it. It made him calm. It made him glad. He felt like something soothed him down. It could even be his lullaby.

He knew only by talking, his problems could leave his mind and completely make him feel at ease. So he shared the story. The story of him and his grandfather.

He opened his eyes again, looking at Suzy this time. He could see the worry in her eyes, and he spoke. 


 

 

I wasn’t alone till I was eight.

I didn’t know that at the time Grandfather was already diagnosed with an illness.

Even though I recall his continuous loud coughing, and the times when I look through the door of his room, seeing his hand clutched across his chest, in pain. I was helpless.

I always looked to him with eyes of concern, asking whether he was okay.

But of course, he would say he was.

And I would smile back at him. My worries all gone.

What more could an eight year old do?

The age of naivety. I believed my grandfather. 

 

Even though things got worst. 

 

 

One day, Grandfather took me to his room to play a game of cards.

I followed him to his room, and at his turn, he accidentally dropped a card on the floor.

He bent down to pick it up, but it was further then he expected.

He fell off the chair. He didn’t get up.

He started clutching the left portion of his chest, as he coughed hard.

Blood spat out.

I screamed. I ran forward. Yelling for help in tears.

Grandfather wiped away the blood that now had gotten itself onto his beard.

He smiled at me. Using whatever remaining strength he had to pat my head like he always did.

The words he spoke were in murmurs. I bent forward, trying to catch what he had said.

 

Even if I’m gone, you’ll be strong and happy. Like Kai right?

 

I nodded my head, as the tears continuously flow out. 

 

Grandfather you'll be fine right?! You know you promised to bring me out to fly a kite tomorrow! 

I know i promised Kai... I'll be there... after i rest... 

 

 

The helpers took a while before they rushed in to witness what had happened.

But before they could call for an ambulance.

 

It was too late.

His body lay motionless in the middle of the room.

Tears gushed out of my eyes like a waterfall. The helpers pulled me away. I struggled, I kicked.

They carried me away, back to my room.

And I took one last look at my grandfather’s eyes. The eyes that were once filled with vigour, hope, and passion.

Gone.

I could never forget that sight. It haunted me day by day in my childhood. Telling me how useless I was.

And all that happiness I had within me, gone with his departure. 

 

 

My parent’s didn’t care about my feelings towards the incident. They left me to fend of on my own. They thought that life would come and go, and there would be no point to mourn for it. And they thought the cure of that was time. I just simply needed time to help me deal with the situation.

But they were wrong. They incident never left my mind. How could the image of my grandfather’s lifeless eyes leave my mind?

Day by day, I sat by the swing; grandfather and I spend our days together at.

I ran around the maze of our house garden. Hoping he was at the other end, looking for me.

But I knew it wouldn’t happen. So I closed my heart. And kept the photos we had together as a memory.

 

I only had the photos to re-tell my tale. The photos of grandfather and I as we played at the garden. As we danced to country music together. As we swam at the beach nearby.

I flipped through the 2 albums I had just before I went off to bed every night. Tears would fall down from my eyes once more. As I closed my eyes and prayed for him to return.

 

My parents didn’t know that without my grandfather, I was like a soulless being. And I doubt they had cared too.

Living had no purpose to me.

 

Thinking how my parents weren’t there for me during those tough times. I decided to change my name. I didn’t want to be known as Kim Jong In. The child of my parents. But Kai, the beloved grandson of Grandfather Kim.

So, I started my life as Kai. It meant nothing to others, but it meant the world to me. Grandfather wanted me to be like Kai. Even if I couldn’t fulfil that promise completely, I thought naming myself that could be a last present to him. And he would like it too.


 

Suzy nodded her head after listening to the tale. She brought Kai into an embrace as she saw tears well up in the corner of his eyes. She smiled and spoke not a single word. She thought it was what he needed now. Support.

They returned to the hut, hoping that his grandfather has awoken and they could ask some questions.

However, what once lay his grandfather, now was an empty bed. 

 

 

Okay! It's been a whileeeeee, since i updated. 

This update is a little short compared to the one before. 

A little busy these days :/ (fiddling with photoshop) HAHA. 

Received the notice of what school i'll be going too. ^^ 

 

Anyway, i may not update that much the next week. 

Chinese New Year is coming and i haven't finished the work for my teacher ;(