Death

A New Beginning

“Suzy! Don't let go! You can’t leave me here alone! What am I going to do without you?”

Suzy used as much effort as she could to force her eyes open and gave a reassuring smile to her mother.

By then, Suzy’s mom already had red puffed up eyes. Her eye bags grew even more distinct. She had already lost 5 days of sleep due to her incapability to sleep soundly knowing Suzy didn’t have many days left.

“Mom... It’ll be okay... don’t worry…”

Suzy felt a gentle squeeze in her left hand. Her hand felt warm. The only place that felt warm. She was freezing. She managed to turn her hand to the left to see Daehyun beside her. In tears. Looking at Suzy, Daehyun tried to flash a warm smile. But his smile came out weakly.

She felt her heart ache when she saw that image. Believe her, she didn’t want to go too. Especially since she finally won the heart of her crush of a year. They managed to happily spend time together for 1 and a half years before Suzy found out that she was dying, from a terminal illness. Heart cancer.

Daehyun was a great guy. She tried to break up with him on several occasions without telling him the reason. But he told her that he would never let her go unless she stated a proper reason.

He only found out when he was in her room on a fine Saturday morning. Suzy had told him to go upstairs and wait for her while she grabbed the popcorn and movie. And whilie waiting for her, he simply scanned her room. Smiling at the pictures of them pasted on the wall. He continued scanning around till a particular sheet of paper on the table caught his attention. He moved closer to the desk and he couldn't believe what he saw.

He only snapped back to reality when Suzy patted him gently on the back. She immediately bear hugged him. They both burst into tears. Daehyun wasn't angry at her. He understood her intentions. But he felt his heart well up in pain. He truly loved Suzy. And he knew she did too.

Suzy knew she had to tell him sooner or later. So she chose to easy way out.

She couldn’t bring herself to explain it in words to Daehyun. She probably would break down half way and wouldn’t be able to convey the news to him.

They both just stood there. Hugging each other. Enjoying the warmth of each other like the world would never end for both of them.

Daehyun managed to break the ice that day and asked her how long more she had.

“3 Months”

She murmured in his ear that was just beside her lips.

He broke the hug, and flashed her a warm smile.

“I promise to make it the best 3 months of your life”

Suzy felt something tug at her heart. She loved Daehyun with all her heart. She hated herself for causing pain upon him. But it really was the best 3 months of her life.

But it eventually ended when Suzy’s condition worsened and she was immediately admitted to the hospital.

Suzy felt herself weaken by the second. She felt like the end was nearing. She used as much strength as she could to take out the necklace from her pocket along with a tiny yellow envelope. She took Daehyun’s hand and placed it in his hand. Daehyun looked into her eyes. They lost the spark and life they once had. He didn’t say anything. He smiled and wiped away his tears and gave her a small hug. He was afraid that it might add to the pain she was already experiencing.

It was her final present for him. She knew how much he loved birds. Especially peacocks. He simply adored their elegance.

Daehyun picked it up and felt even more tears rush down his cheeks.

Suzy then turned to her mom and pulled out a flower shaped hair pin with a pink letter. She tried to give it to her brightly like how she did when she was younger. However to no avail. She felt like she could no longer move her body.

Suzy stared at the ceiling. She smiled and thought how blessed she was to have her boyfriend and her mom by her side. She gradually let fate bring her out of her misery.

This was how it felt like to die. She thought to herself.

She closed her eyes and whispered.

“I love you both… So much”

“SUZY! NO YOU CAN’T- ”

21-12-12, 12:21:12

Suzy passed away.

Yellow

Hi there Daehyun.

By the time you have read this, I would probably have left the world.

Thank you for all the time you have spent with me and i'm sorry it had to end.

I want you to know that all this while i have truly loved you.

and if you feel the same way. Meet someone new and forget about me.

And don't shed anymore tears.

For me.

Suzy.

Pink

To my dearest mother. Thank you for your painstaking care.

Thank you for single handedly raising me up and going through ordeals to let me be who i am today.

Words can't even express my love and grattitude towards you.

I'm sorry that i have to leave you. 

I'm sorry that growing older made it difficult and sometimes embarrassing for me to express myself well.

But let me say it one last time.

I love you mom!

Suzy.


 

Kai lay in the hospital bed. He had to stick with the company of himself. He didn’t expect his parents to visit him since they were both busy with work.

He understood that because if he didn’t, he would be still making a fuss after 21 years.

But as much as he wanted to understand, this was an exception. He wanted them to be here.

Especially on his deathbed.

Kai was a victim of leukemia. And he was in the final stage of it.

The doctor came into the room. His eyes filled with pity and sadness. Kai’s parents did not visit him for the entire duration he stayed in the hospital.

The doctor rang them before entering the room.

His mother was in China for a business trip.

His father was in a crucial business meeting.

He thought that he should take the place of his parents. To give him warmth before he goes.

He sat at the seat beside Kai and gave him a small smile.

Kai smiled back. Which is completely not likely of him. But he felt that it could do no harm in the last few moments of his life.

He was known in school as an introvert. He couldn’t express himself well since from young his parents didn’t spend much time with him. He didn’t know how to depend on others and kept to himself.

He didn’t know of a blissful childhood and didn’t know what it was like to have a friend.

He shunned the people that came to him. He didn’t think it was necessary to make friends and depend on others.

Have him as an example. He clearly didn’t depend on his parents in his life. So he definitely didn’t need to depend on other people.

But here he was smiling at a doctor he barely knew.

The doctor started a conversation with Kai and it continued on and on.

They found an endless list of things to say. Subjects that linked each other connected their topics together. Their conversation would have never ended until death decided to start creeping by.

Kai could suddenly feel himself getting weaker.

Each word was harder to say. He could barely hear anymore too.

Is it time for me to go?

Kai stared at the ceiling above him.

He knew. The doctor knew.

But it didn’t stop the dcotor. He continued to talk. Hoping to block out all pain Kai was feeling. But it was futile. Kai could no longer hear.

He felt a stream of tears roll down the side of his face.

21-12-12, 12:21:12

Kai passed away.