Bottle cap

722

Yoona heard sniffles. She looked out the window, but there was no one in sight. After a moment, the sniffling returns. At irregular intervals, they are heard.

This time, Yoona goes out to check. There has got to be someone here.

As she rounds the corner, she finds a figure huddled on the nook, beside the dog house. That explains why she wasn’t visible from the house.

As she approaches the figure, guesses run through her head. The mud-soaked dress and wavy hair her only clues. However, when she came face to face with the girl, none of the guesses came near.

“Jessica, what are you doing there?”

She struggles to hide her tear-drenched face.

“Uhm, I was just passing by.”

Yoona ignores the strain in her voice. She tries to avoid looking at the girl.

“Come in then.”

Jessica is momentarily befuddled; nonetheless, she follows.

She takes off her shoes as Yoona hurriedly scrams to look for a pair of slippers.

“Here, wear these.” Yoona offers an encouraging smile.

Jessica simply nods in acknowledgment.

They sit beside a round table as silence stands as their only form of conversation.

Yoona tentatively glances as Jessica lightly shivers.

“Oh my. I forgot you’re cold.”

“No, it’s fine.”

Yoona raises a hand to shush her and quickly looks for a blanket.

“Thank you.”

“Do you want some tea?”

“No. I’m fine.”

Yoona still refuses to sit down.

“Really. I am” For the first time since she’s seen her, Jessica smile, albeit a tight-lipped one. Still that was progress.

“Alright then. Care to tell me why you’re here?” Yoona asks nonchalantly.

Jessica suddenly swerves to a different direction.

“Uhm.”

“It’s okay if you don’t want to talk. You can stay till the rain stops.”

Yoona motioned to stand until a hand reaches for her arm.

“I’m sorry for barging in on you like this. I just had nowhere else to go and this was the only place that I could think of.”

“It’s fine. You’re not disturbing.”

That gentle smile did it.

Jessica stood up and roughly sobbed on Yoona’s shoulder. Yoona bore her weight as much as she could. All she could do was offer a comforting pat as she softly repeated the words “there, there”

“All I …I want…ed was…was to be there for him. I always tri….ed to be the best girlfrie….nd even when my sched….schedule wouldn’t allow me, but what did he do?” Yoona had trouble understanding Jessica’s words as her nasal blockage was slurring her speaking. However, near the end of her speech, the words rang with clarity as she gained convictions.

“He threw me away at the moment that I needed him the most. At that moment I was most vulnerable.”

Jessica slowly pulled away once she realized what she had been doing. She slipped a hanky through her fingers as she haphazardly wiped Yoona’s clothes.

“I…I’m sorry. I didn’t know what I was doing.”

“It’s okay. Listen. Jessica… You’re not a bottle cap.”

Here Jessica’s puzzled expression took over her face.

And Yoona just couldn’t avoid squeezing her cheeks. Jessica didn’t seem to mind. Either that or she just didn’t notice.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, let me see.” Yoona contemplated for a while. “You’re not a bottle cap that can just be thrown away. You’re like a signature baseball card that I’d keep for my entire existence.”

Jessica’s brows furrowed. “What kind of comparison is that?” She turns away feeling hopeless.

“Sorry I was trying to make you feel better.” Yoona tries to make her turn around.

“Are you really trying to make me feel better?” Yoona gives up.

“I am. Sorry that was the best I could come up with.”

Jessica drops the act. She pats Yoona on the head. “Your effort is greatly appreciated.”

Yoona snickers in surrender. “Do you feel better now?”

“Yes, I feel tons better knowing I’m not a bottle cap.” Jessica shakes her head as she walks to the door.

Yoona slaps her forehead. Knowing Jessica, the girl was never going to let it go. Well, at least she has something to remember her by now.

----

A/N: If you're asking if they're in a relationship. No, they aren't. It's kind of a could be for Yoona

there we go. Comments?