Escapism

722

Each one of us needs an escape at least once in our life. When life just overwhelms us and every single little thing becomes cumbersome, escape becomes necessary. When burdens become exhaustively heavy to carry, escape is the only way people manage to survive. Either of the temporary or permanent kind, escape just allows you to let it all go.

There are various methods of escape. Some use a euphoric state to momentarily forget. That usually includes drugs, liquor, and smoking. Others prefer more efficient outlets such as writing or sports. Many different people have different ways of escapism. Mine just happened to be in the form of Jessica Jung.

I was Im Yoona, your typical goody two shoes: rule-abiding, super nice, and idiotically obedient. Meeting Jessica was tantamount to trying prohibited substances for the very first time. She was addicting and I slowly got hooked. She showed me a world I never knew of or even aware of. She was like a breath of fresh air. She was the breath of fresh air I didn’t know I even needed.

Like any other mind-altering drug, complete dependence was inevitable. I considered Jessica as my lifeline and she was more than willing to be that for me. Everything she did or showed me was just all so fascinating. She was the embodiment of my rebellion and she fully grasped that. She knew what we were to each other and she accepted that without qualms.

The problem with escapism is that you might not need them all the time. There are times when you simply need to face reality and escaping no longer seems like a viable option. I made that clear to Jessica. Problem was she was more dependent on me than I had been to her. When I could no longer make time for her, she spiralled. Try as I might to abandon her. I. couldn’t will myself to. She showed me a world so unlike mine and in a way she saved me. She saved me from myself and the self-destructive thoughts my mind tempted me with. My parents wouldn’t have agreed with my form of escapism, but Jessica was with me all the way. She’d be the one to pull me back if she thought I had more than enough. She gave me a push if she thought I was still lacking. She was always by my side and I decided I be the same for her.

I never thought I did love her. I simply thought of it all as an experiment. Turns out I was damn wrong. A simple form of escape changed into something more and we just allowed ourselves to go with it. There was no harm in doing so. We started with escapism, but we ended up leaving that phase completely. Jessica used to be my escape. Now, she is my reality.

----

A/N: Ok, I know this is vague. Oh well. Please let me hear your thoughts dear readers. They matter to me. Thanks for reading.