Weapon

Tales of Love from the Joseon Dynasty

chapter ten; 
               salvation

 

 

Snow. It was deep in the winter. Your hands were freezing and going numb. You’re turning dizzy. You failed to calculate the possibility of things. To choose. What other choice do you have than to choose between your brother and Yifan? Your lungs felt like it’s made out of some kind of machine, surpassing your original capability. Your heart was pounding and it felt like it’s going to come out of your chest.

 

You breathed deeply. Luckily, you were already immune to the mercantile district’s dusty air. You were turning hopeless. You tripped and stood up again. You asked yourself why you didn’t bother to change your clothes. The hanbok was too constricting for you to move swiftly as it was heavy due to the many layers of clothes under it. Moreover, it was winter and there were additional layers in your clothes.  It was pretty but was not really that functional. You didn’t bring your weapons. How would you protect Yifan when you don’t even have them? As of now, you don’t really need them, all you need is to see him alive and well.

 

You reached his home. It was guarded by guards that didn’t really do their posts well. They were asleep and it was easy for you to get past them. You looked for him in his room. Nothing, there was no one inside. You didn’t know if you would be relieved or be more bothered. Your brother could have killed him by now.

 

You quickly searched for him in his home. He was nowhere to be found. Your feet were starting to go limp and your eyes were getting heavy. Your body was beginning to feel weak after its long exposure to the cold weather.

 

You quickly went back to the market place. Maybe Yifan is there, safe and looking for you. You didn’t bother to bring a lamp. After observing and waiting behind the shadows for years, your eyes had learned to adjust to the dimmest light. You turned left and right, one street after the other.

 

Yifan!

 

Finally, you saw him. He was carrying a lantern. His sharp features were silhouetted by the contrast of light and dark. It was a sight to behold. It was the sight you want to see for the rest of your life.

 

You ran as fast as you could. You couldn’t feel your legs and you didn’t mind the weight of your clothes. You just want to be with him and escape.

 

Escape

 

Upon reaching him, you felt the sharp pang of pain hitting your back. Your breath hitched and your grip in his arms had tightened.

 

“Jieun! What are you doing?!”

A voice behind you scolded you. You knew it was your brother. You didn’t mind, it was all the protection you could give to the man you love. You had no influence or strength at the moment; all you have is this, your sacrifice and protection.

 

“Thank God, your safe.”

You had silently let your tears out. The pain was pulling you down, asking you to give in. The large wound Jihoon had inflicted on you was not the main reason why it hurt so much but the mere thought that your brother whom you love you much had caused it made it hurt more than it should.

 

You can feel the blood running from your body to your clothes. Warm scarlet trickled on the snow. Would it look attractive to have your clothes tainted with your blood? Surely, it would be wonderful to die at that moment, knowing that you had protected the man you love for only a short while.

 

A black coat washed over your consciousness. Nothing... You heard a muffled voice. You cannot understand anything. Numbness.

 

 

-

 

 

Pain woke you up. A man, possibly a doctor, was pouring liquid at your back. Liquor, it smelled like one. It hurt like a thousand whippings combined into one. Your eyes were welling up. Is the wound that deep to hurt that way?

 

“Be strong, Agassi. This will end soon.”

An old man’s voice came out of the doctor.

“I’ll bandage you soon after I finish putting herbs in the wound.”

 

“Thank you.”

You replied. Your voice sounded hoarse due to the cold air.

 

“Your name is Jieun, is that right my child?”

He was putting some unknown herbs in the wound.

 

“Yes.”

 

“I’m sorry that this old man is the one who is treating you at the moment but the nurses couldn’t take the amount of blood that you just lost.”

He saw numerous scars at you back, one after another. Some were faint and some were fairly new. It started from your shoulders all the way up to your lower back. Your arms too had scars. He wondered at how a woman like you had let herself get them.

“How did you get all these scars, child?”

 

“I have a hawk...”

You began, trying to remember how each scar came to its existence in your body.

“Sometimes it would grip on to my shoulders and arms so tightly that it claws would wound me. It used to hurt, but I don’t mind the pain anymore.”

 

“It’s finished.”

He said upon securing the last piece of bandage.

 

You turned silent, not wanting to reveal anything anymore. Your heart had hurt. You realized that your brother had added another scar on you. Did he hurt when he had cut you? Was he worrying about you?

 

“Child, what is it?”

The doctor sat in front of you. He was very old. His face was covered with wrinkles and his hair was already white. He has very strong features but was balanced with the gentle look on his eyes.

 

“I don’t know.”

 

 

-

 

 

“Jieun!”

Yifan entered the room, waking you up from your rest. He was dressed in blue robes; a prince’s proper attire. This made you figure out where you are at the moment; inside the palace gates. He breathed deeply as he was trying to catch his breath. Sweat was running in his forehead despite of the cold weather.

 

You tried to cover yourself. You realized that your top has already been taken away by the nurses. Nevertheless, you couldn’t possibly use it anymore as it had been sliced when Jihoon had cut you.

 

“Royal robes look good on you.”

You forced a smile, not minding the sting of the wound. You wanted to hide. He shouldn’t see you at this state. He shouldn’t see those scars. They were ugly and not pleasing to look at.

 

“You know that I don’t like this.”

He sat in front of you and smiled, illuminating his god-like features.

“I’ll just get my clothes back from my home from the mercantile district.”

 

His smile faded when he saw a faint scar on your shoulders and another one on the upper part of your bounded s. Another one was on your right arm.

 

“Where did you get these?”

He touched your shoulder. His hands felt warm, comfortable. You didn’t mind him touching you. He was... different from other men. His eyes bear the look of sincerity and concern rather than lust.

“Tell me.”

 

You paused. His grip was tightening and his hands were shaking. What is he thinking?

“My hawk.”

 

“How about this? Is this also from that?”

He was looking at the faint scar that ran across the upper part of your chest. It was not raised but was discoloured and slightly of lighter color than the rest of your skin.

 

You couldn’t tell him. It was a wound inflicted on you by your brother when you were practicing on fighting a couple years ago. Like the usual, he always had been serious in fighting and would never hesitate in wounding you. He had been pouring out his anger then. The wound was not deep but it left a scar after it healed.

 

“No. It was...from something else.”

 

He closed his eyes and gently kissed the scar on your arm. Pure and chaste, it felt like he was worshipping you.

 

“What are you doing?”

You quickly got your arm away from his grasps. Tears were beginning to form on your eyes.

 

“Stay still. Don’t be afraid of me.”

He went nearer and kissed your bare shoulders, placing each kiss on every scar that he can find.

 

“Pitiful, isn’t it. They’re ugly. How can a woman have such scars?”

Crystal-like liquid fell on your cheeks. It was the tears you’ve been holding onto.

 

He lastly placed a kiss down your nape.

“No, they were beautiful because they were a part of the woman I love.”

 

He gently pecked your lips.

“No matter how much scars you currently have, you’ll still be Joseon’s most beautiful woman in my eyes. I’ll make sure in that in the future not one wound will be inflicted on you. I’ll protect you as you had protected me.”

 

He touched your soft cheeks that was now wet with your tears. Your eyes were like crystal, reflecting the light that was emitted by the multitude of candles in the room. Your skin was pale like the snow; precious and fragile.

 

His strong eyes were dulled by the dim light. He captured your lips, wiping all the bitter memories of your past. It was dizzying. You felt light. He was your protection, your escape. Your hands intertwined with his in content of feeling your breath come and go with his.

 

My salvation.

 

 

-

 

 

It was like the first time you entered the palace. The snow had placed themselves beautifully on the sleeping trees of the garden; making perfect dark silhouettes. You loved the cold weather. It was refreshing and had always cleared your mind.

 

It’s been a year since you’ve adjusted to palace life. You're not a lady of the palace but you had been allowed to live in it as long as Yifan stays inside its gates. Of course, the both of you don’t live in the same house but you had your quaint residence near his.

 

The princess, a friend of his, had just given birth to a healthy prince days ago. A child of the harsh yet gentle winter can endure the toughest of challenges, surely he’ll live long and be a great king someday.

 

“Marry me.”

Yifan looked intently in your eyes as he held your hand, protecting it from the cold. His hands were warm and a lot bigger than yours. Heat was beginning to creep in your cheeks.

 

“What?”

Maybe your ears were just making a fool of yourself.

 

“Let’s spend a millennium of winters together.”

He wrapped his arms around you. His warm chest was pressed against your back and his chin rested at the top of your head.

 

You kept silent. Your mind couldn’t process what just happened.

 

The both of you were already in the middle of the garden, covered in the embrace of the trees that were laced with delicate snow. You can hear his warm breath as he tried to smell your hair. It has been forever since you last wore the intoxicating perfume that you had. Your hair smells different now. It was bearing a sweet and gentle scent. It was enchanting. He was bewitched by you, every aspect of you.

 

“I wouldn’t want to wait anymore.”

He let go you go and faced you.

“But it you would want me to wait for you, I will. I’ll give you time, even if it lasts an eternity.”

 

He gave a sad smile and then walked away.

 

You smiled and then ran after him, blocking his way. Your heart was beating fast. It was filled with love. You quickly tip-toed and tried to capture his lips with yours, closing your eyes in the process. You landed on your feet not going near your purpose. He was too tall.

 

“I’m sorry, I missed. You’re very tall.”

You let out an embarrassed laugh as you felt your cheeks heating once again.

 

“It that a yes?”

Clearly, he was surprised at your actions. His eyes had widened yet a glitter of happiness can been seen from them and a faded tinge of color can be seen in his cheeks.

 

“Yes.”

You smiled at him.

 

He smiled in return before leaning down to kiss you. Your hearts met as the trees had been the only witnesses of your love.  The wind gently blew its cold breeze as the snow was sharing its blessings on you, melting at the touch of your warm skin.

 

Eternal bliss.

 

 

 

 AUTHOR'S NOTES

It's finally finished~

I'm sorry that I've been taking me a long time to update. I've been schooling and training and other stuff. I'm even planning in going on hiatus because I've been very busy lately but I think it will be better for me to still update chapters from time to time.

How is it? Do you like the ending? Who do you think will be the next member to have his story?

Please comment, vote and subscribe ^^ I love you my readers! Saranghae~

To those who've upvoted me, thank you very much! *90 degree bow*