Breath

Tales of Love from the Joseon Dynasty

chapter nineteen;
                                   Yeonwha

 

 

“I...”

You began, not knowing what to say. To honest, you never had a name.

 

Luhan’s eyebrows furrowed in anger.

“Tell me! Why are you here?!”

His voice startled you. He was yelling.

 

“I have no name.”

You looked at the man in front of you, still a little bleary from his sleep. In fact, there were even little traces of tears from his sleep. They looked like fresh morning dew, adorning his eyes that gleam so prettily.

 

“What do you mean?!”

He didn’t bother to lower the tone of his voice. What kind of person doesn’t have a name? It is one of the most basic of everything a person would know, next to breathing and waking up.

 

“You have to give me a name.”

 

Luhan gave out a chuckle.

“What kind of joke is this?”

 

You lowered your head a little, your hand trying to wrinkle the silken fabric of your skirt.

 

“Tell me, why are you here?”

His eyebrows furrowed, his head tilting to have a proper look at your face.

 

 “You brought me here.”

You looked at him in the eyes.

“Don’t you remember?”

 

“Miss, I don’t bring kisaengs to my house.”

His voice turned dark and menacing. He held your chin, forcing you to look at his eyes more. He had the loveliest eyes you have ever seen on a human. They were enchanting but most of all, they look empty and lifeless like they belonged to another doll.

“Why don’t you leave here and go back to where you came from?”

 

He released his grip on your jaw. You expected more harshness from him, he is a man after all, but he had released you like he had just dropped a delicate flower.

 

You cannot quite pinpoint what this man is. He was angry and then he was laughing. The next, he was threatening you. He didn’t seem to have any stable mood, as if he was pretending and was hiding inside a persona.

 

You may not have been a human during your brief life but you have been around them for as long as you can remember. However, you’re not quite sure. You didn’t exactly know how short or long your life has been. In fact, you didn’t even know when you gained your consciousness. It could have been a year, a month or a week. Days, hours and seconds always seem longer when you don’t have the ability to move.

 

“Don’t you recognize me?”

You smiled at him.

 

“I don’t think so.”

His stare was blank. Nothing. Of course, he doesn’t recognize you. He was still looking a proper answer from you.

 

“I am the doll you brought here.”

 

He chuckled again. He found the impossibility of it amusing. The priestess seemed to go through the extremes just to pull off this extremely entertaining prank.

 

“Can’t you see?”

You stood up this time, twirling a little to give him a glimpse of your silken clothes. They were red and yellow, colors that were highly festive and as bright as the summer sun. Your long jet black hair gracefully moved with you as if it was a dark waterfall, if there is such a thing.

 

The boy looked at you carefully. You sounded so natural, as if you were not acting at all. Could it be?

 

You seated in front of him. Your distance was too close for comfort, only a few inches far and he can feel your knees touching his through the layers of clothes the both of you are in. You smiled at him. His breathing became shallow and he felt his heart beating faster.

 

The sunlight gently shined over your delicate features. It highlighted your eyes. They were glassy as if they were still covered in a fragile layer of an artisan’s clear resin. Your skin was clear and pale, not a single blemish could be found. Your lips and cheeks bore a subtle shade of pink. You were a vision, much more beautiful than any person he met during his whole lifetime. It may be too much to say but to him, you looked like a goddess in disguise.

 

Then, realization came upon him. You didn’t look human at all.

 

-

 

Luhan had invited an old woman to his home the next day. It was a rare event as he never liked inviting people to his home.

 

“Yeonhwa?”

He called out through the wood and paper door that separated the room he had given you from the corridor. Yes, he did give you a name, Yeonhwa, which he found to be fitting for you. It was another word for the lotus blossom, the flower of purity and divine birth.

 

Nothing. You didn’t respond. Did you turn back into a doll again?

 

Afraid, he opened the doors only to find you peacefully sleeping on the covers that he provided for you. He was worrying for nothing. The room was bare, not one piece of furniture was to be found. I could not be helped. You didn’t have a single belonging other than the clothes you had.

 

“Yeonhwa...”

He gently shook you.

“It’s time to wake up. Wake up now.”

 

You opened your eyes and sat. You never thought sleeping would feel that good. The feeling was indescribable.

 

“So unlady-like.”

He said when he saw your long black hair tangled in a million ways.

“Women should braid their hair before sleeping so it doesn’t get tangled like this.”

 

You rubbed your eyes as you stood up. You didn’t mind him. His words didn’t seem too urgent.

 

He took out a wooden comb from his sleeve and gently eased out the tangles away with it. It was decorated with a lotus that was delicately carved on the handle.

 

“This is for you.”

He handed it you. It was beautiful.

 

“Quickly.”

He was calm and gentle this day, as if he was another person.

 

He led you into the corridor and into the room where you found an old woman carrying a number of fabrics on her arms; all in wonderful colors, bright and tame. In one of her hands, she had a rolled piece of cloth, maybe a measuring instrument.

 

“She’s so pretty.”

The woman smiled at you.

“Is she a relative? A lover perhaps?”

 

“A friend.”

He smiled at you. You saw the twinkle in his eyes. You felt something beat inside your chest. What is it?

 

“How many pairs of clothes do you need?”

She asked you.

 

“Clothes?”

You looked at Luhan, not knowing what to answer. You never had a change of clothes before. You never needed it. Being a doll, it meant that you did not sweat or move at all and because of that, your clothes don’t get dirty.

 

“Give her as much a woman will need. Give her something to wear in her sleep too.”

He reached into his pocket. They were gold pieces enough to buy a small house.

“Make it with the best materials you have. I want it finished by tomorrow.”

 

“Tomorrow?”

The woman’s eyes widened in shock. Did the young man in front of her think of her as a miracle worker? Indeed she had a reputation of being the best and fastest seamstress in Joseon but it would be impossible for her to complete around seven to ten pairs of dresses of the highest quality by the next day.

“That’s impossible! I still have to buy the materials.”

 

“Luhan, isn’t it too much?”

You looked at him.

“I don’t even need clothes that much anyway.”

 

“I still want it my way.”

He looked at the old woman, his eyes not blinking as he crossed his arms; much like a spoiled kid who always gets what he wanted.

 

“Get all of her clothes delivered by tomorrow night and I’ll double the payment.”

His lips formed into a mischievous curve. How could she refuse such offer?

“How about it?”

 

The old seamstress’ mouth opened. She thought about it carefully. Accepting it would mean that she had to work immediately and not sleep until the moment she delivers the clothes but it was such a large sum of money and it could probably make her live like a noble for several months or if she uses it wisely, it could even support her for the rest of her life, not that she would live much longer than around 25 years, she was already 78.

 

Silence took over.

 

“Very well.”

She finally said.

“I’ll deliver them tomorrow.”

 

 

-

 

 

You tried to pick up a piece of kimchi from a small bowl on the table. You were trying to pick that piece for a while now. Sadly, you failed again. Your hands need a little more practice on the chopsticks. Your hands seem to be holding the spoon well and had no problem with it but the chopsticks are a little pesky.

 

Annoyed with your slowness, he picked the spicy vegetable using his own chopticks and had placed it on top of your rice bowl.

 

“Thank you.”

You scooped the rice up with your spoon along with the kimchi that was on top. Finally you can eat.

 

As you chewed the food that you gladly shoved into your mouth, you felt a slight burning sensation on your mouth. Your eyes were getting a little teary.

 

“What is this?”

You forcefully swallowed the food, your tears were threatening to fall.

 

“It’s kimchi, dummy.”

He laughed. His eyes were twinkling and it was the first time saw him smile genuinely.

“It’s supposed to taste like that.”

 

 

-

 

 

“Thank you.”

You smiled at him as he handed you a small cup that contained a cool clear liquid.  The white porcelain reflected the glorious summer light of the sun.

 

The two of you were in the raised platform in from of the house. It was enough to cover you from the harsh rays of the sun yet enough for the both of you to see the nice landscaping of the house. You look another breath, relishing the warm smell of the sun and grass. Everything around you seemed happy.

 

You looked at the man beside you. His expressions were soft, his eyelashes showing length as he drank the liquid inside of the cup.

 

“Try the soju.”

He smiled at you.

“It’s really better if you drink it with someone.”

 

You smiled in return. Something in your chest felt as if it’s fluttering, flying.

 

You who are more beautiful than the wonderful summer sun, if you smile like that, how could I ever take my eyes off of you?

 

You took as sip. It tastes terrible, bitter. Your throat felt like it was burning.

 

“How do humans like this so much?”

Your brows furrowed and your expression turned sour.

“I like the rice, the meat and soup but the kimchi and this soju. How could humans put them in their mouth?”

 

“You get used to it.”

He continued to drink the liquid inside his cup.

 

“You human are really masochistic.”

You tried to drink again. This time, the sting of the alcohol didn’t burn that much. It was becoming more pleasurable. The sweet undertone of the bitter liquid was coming to light.

“You like the bitter and the spicy. The sting and sourness. You like live and love just to be hurt and die again.”

 

“You speak like you lived longer than me.”

Luhan chuckled.

 

“Who knows? In my brief life, my time felt like it already ran much longer than today.”

 

“Yet it is such a wonderful thing to be human isn’t it, Yeonhwa?”

 

“Yes.”

 

To feel and to experience. Truly it is wonderful to be human.

 

 

 AUTHOR'S NOTES

Sorry for  the really long wait T.T 

I've been really busy these days but I hope you like this fluffy and light chapter ^^

Enjoy it while it lasts *evil laugh*

 

I remember the first time I had  kimchi and soju  xD

I seriously hated it then xD Hahaha

But after a few tries, I came to like them.

How was your kimchi and soju experience?

 

Also, who has instagram?

Follow me as jieunieinabottle

Yehet~

 

Please comment, upvote and subscribe ^^

You inspire me ^^