Vibrato

Tales of Love from the Joseon Dynasty

chapter sixteen 
         red string of  fate

 

 

“It will take a lot of money to get her name off the kisaeng directory. She was one of the best gayagum players in Joseon. ”

The head kisaeng said as she was bringing out the directory, the book that contained the names of you and your sisters in the house.

“Are you sure with this?”

 

“Money is not an issue. I’m sure you know my reputation enough.”

He said as he looked at you, smiling. His eyes were sparkling like they just had fresh dew on them.

“I want to take her with me.”

 

Everything was still a blur to you. What was he thinking? You didn’t even know his name yet and he wants to buy you. Yes, buy you. Your kind was treated like mere items and could be bought for the equivalent price you hold, the greater the value of your abilities, the greater your price would be.

 

Having artisans, your house holds the most expensive kisaengs so it was rare for your sisters to have their names removed from the directory; none of their clients could afford their price.

 

It was the middle of the night and the man beside you had told the head kisaeng that he plans to leave with you first thing in the morning, leaving you no time to say your goodbyes to Chanyeol. Your heart broke, knowing well that this is how it was meant to be. You had no power, you have no right and you cannot oppose.

 

Don’t leave me. I am your home.

 

Chanyeol’s voice echoed in your head.

 

 

-

 

 

The salty smell of the sea filled your nose as your eyes saw widespread of clear blue waters. It was rippling peacefully, turning into little wars made out of seafoam, a chaotic beauty against the calm blue. The wind was gently blowing on one side of your face, causing some little strands of hair to depart from their usual places. The small world you were in suddenly looked bigger and more terrifying. You’ve never been outside the mercantile district and you didn’t expect to go outside Joseon in your whole lifetime.

 

“Are you fine?”

A man’s voice woke you up from you reverie. You looked at him and nodded. His Korean was impeccably flawless, like he spoke it for years.

 

“You can call me Luhan if you want to.”

He began to speak again as he sensed that you won’t speak anytime soon. Your eyes were tinged with sadness and fear. Leaving one’s homeland was hard but he was sure that it was the people that you left there that made you the way you were now. He didn’t expect you to recover anytime soon but he was hoping that he could make you preoccupied from the sadness you were experiencing.

 

“Luhan.”

Your voice startled him a little. Hours had gone by since you had been staring at the waves.

“I am Yunhee.”

 

“I know.”

His lips formed into a gentle curve.

“It’s a name that suits you well, ‘a wish’s melody’. You chose it well but I would like to know what your real name is.”

 

“It is my real name.”

You said to him, looking straight in his eyes. Everything about him reminded you of the gentle wind. You can clearly see though him, his intentions and his heart. He was like fresh breath of air that was gently taking you to a new land, a new life.

 

“I know kisaengs change their names after they had finished the required training. Why didn’t you change yours?”

 

“I was afraid.”

Your eyes returned to the clear blue of the ocean as it reflected the bright rays of the sun.

“I was afraid that I’d lose myself when I turn into a kisaeng, so I have to at least keep my name. I merely changed the characters so I managed to keep my name to myself.”

 

There was silence. The waves that clashed on the sides of the boat were to be heard. Your nose was getting used to the salty smell. Chanyeol should have noticed by now that you were nowhere to be found on the kisaeng house. Leaving the Chosun, Yoora and yours sisters was hard enough to leave an empty spot in your heart but leaving Chanyeol made you feel empty. He was you home and you left him without saying goodbye.

 

I’m sorry.

 

“I’m sorry.”

You thought you were just hearing your thoughts but realizing that the voice came from Luhan’s lips, tears silently began to fall from your eyes.

“It must be hard, isn’t it?”

 

With sadness in your eyes, you looked at him. The sunlight was perfectly putting the two of you in the spotlight. He did not need you to say anything. He already knew the answer.

 

“Give me one year.”

He said. He was hesitating. His heart pounded and he had feared that you would hear it.

“I’ll make you happy again. I’ll make you love me.”

 

“I don’t understand.”

You furrowed your brows, unable to decipher the words of the man in front of you.

 

“Just give me a year.”

The tone of his voice turned into a plea, no... a prayer.

“And if I didn’t get your heart by then, I’ll set you free.”

 

“Why are you doing this? Why are you so kind to me?”

 

“I don’t know either.”

He paused, looking at you as if he was searching for the answer in you. You had a strange effect on him. His heart flutters everytime he looks at you, he gets confused and his cheeks had this unfamiliar warmth.

“But I know that right now, it is what my heart wants to do. I’m not one of the brightest persons you’ll ever meet but I know my heart well and right now it wants me to love you.”

 

 

-

 

 

The room echoed the sounds of strings gently being strum by hands as swift as the late spring breeze. A series of complicated harmonies mixed as two different styles were introduced to the air, gayagum and guzheng. The two instruments were very similar yet each one managed to contrast and complement each other.

 

No one could deny the fact that the musicians were as beautiful as the harmonies they made. It was a pair, a boy and a girl, a couple maybe. Their pale white skin contrasted the black wooden floor that they were sitting on. They were wearing lavish clothing made out of silk and gold thread. The girl’s long black hair was kept neat with a series of intricate pins holding half of her hair out off her face while the rest was cascading on her back, no stray strand could be seen. She had a ring on her slender left ring finger, one that is made out of a bright green jade and could possibly mean that she was engaged to the man on her left.

 

The boy glanced at her, admiring her beauty. How much had she changed within a year? Her hair grew longer. Her eyes were more alluring than ever yet her lips seemed to never change, childish and charming to look at. She looked at him as the performance came to a halt, smiling brightly at him.

 

The pair began to bow as they finished. They were none other than you and Luhan. Little did the people know that the both of you were not engaged and nor were you a couple. The chemistry and connection you had while performing was not romance but friendship and the jade ring you had on your finger was none other than the one that was given to you by Chanyeol, you never took it off and you never forgot about him.

 

“You’re amazing, Yunhee.”

Luhan hugged you, breathing the scent of your hair.

 

“Same to you.”

Rather than giving him a hug back, you simply tapped his back. Contrary to your first thoughts about him, he was actually quite tall; not expected from a man with a pretty face.

 

While hugging you, he had let out a sad smile. A year had already passed and he didn’t manage to make you love him back. He could be selfish and keep you with him forever by his side but he wasn’t that kind of a person. A promise is a promise and your happiness was his first priority. You had truly adjusted to the life of living with him in China but he knows that deep within your heart, you yearn for someone... someone who he had no chance with when competing for your heart. He didn’t know who that person was but he was jealous and angry; he was angry at himself for lacking something he didn’t know.

 

“We’ll ride a ship to Joseon tomorrow.”

He didn’t want to release you yet. He didn’t want you to see him at his current state, in the midst of breaking down into tears.

“I think we’ll stay there for a while.”

 

 

-

 

 

“I’m sorry but your companion couldn’t be allowed to go inside the kisaeng house.”

Chosun gracefully lowered her head in apology. She hasn’t changed much, still a calm and mysterious beauty.

 

“Why not?”

Luhan asked.

 

“Only kisaengs are the only women who can enter here.”

 

“You don’t understand.”

Luhan looked into her eyes and said.

“This woman has been here before.”

 

You took off the black veiled hat that was covering your face and smiled at her. Chosun looked like she had seen a ghost. She thought that she’ll never see you again, so did Chanyeol. After knowing that you’ve been bought, Chanyeol was in great pain. He loved you for the longest time and knowing the possibility that you would never come back again, he didn’t have the energy to play or hear music for a long time. Call it bitter fate but it seemed that the one year Luhan asked of you was too much, you came back a little bit late to prevent fate from spinning its problematic web. Just a few weeks ago, Chanyeol had agreed to an arranged marriage; not that he had a choice but Chosun wasn’t on planning to tell that to you as she knew that it would break your heart.

 

“Hello, sister. Have you been doing well?”

You came near her and held her hand. They were cold as ice. Strange, it is a fine spring day. Why would she be cold?

 

“Yes.”

She gave your hands a little sqeeze, hoping that yours would warm hers up.

“I never thought that you’ll come back to visit.”

 

“Me too.”

 

 

-

 

 

“I’m sorry, Chosun.”

The talkative kisaeng rushed into Chosun’s room. She seemed out of breath and on the verge of tears.

“My tongue slipped. Chanyeol. Yunhee. I’m really sorry Chosun.”

 

“Yunhee.”

It was the only word that came out of Chosun’s mouth. It had been a wonderful night for you as she and the other kisaengs had tried their best to entertain you and Luhan, filling stomach with delicious food, expensive wine and ending it with good conversations but she didn’t know that Yoora would let her tingue slip like this. The plan was to let you and Luhan go back to China without you knowing about the wedding that would happen in a few days’ time.

 

“She asked how Chanyeol was doing.”

Hot tears fell on the younger kisaeng’s cheek as she kneeled in front of Chosun

“I’ve done wrong.”

 

 

-

 

 

It was undeniable that news about your popularity had also reached Joseon. People pushed each other to get a glimpsed of the both of you to see if the pair of Chinese musicians do really look like dolls, porcelain skin, long and slender limbs and fine features. But to their dismay, your face was covered by the veiled hat that you wore.

 

The both of you stayed at a large inn that was also housing many of the foreign guests that Joseon has. As you got into the room that you were staying in, you had let your tears fall. You didn’t bother to light a lamp as you didn’t want the moon or anything to see you in your current state. This is fate. This time, you must accept defeat.

 

Your heart felt like it was breaking to a thousand pieces.  You should have taught yourself to love Luhan. You should have erased Chanyeol in your memory, his touch, his voice, his kiss.

 

You looked at the ring in your hand and threw it across the room in anger as you curled up and hugged your legs. You thought that throwing the ring away could make you feel better but it just made you a sobbing mess.

 

 

-

 

 

There he is. Right there in front of you in the audience with his father. You and Luhan had been performing songs for about half an hour already and the people were getting more curious about you and why you always had that hat that hid your face. It was white today, contrasting your red and black clothes. Technically, it has been over a year since your life as a kisaeng ended and the men who had visited the kisaeng house may not remember your face at all but you were still worried that people might recognize you so you kept the hat on which proved to be a wise decision. You didn’t want Chanyeol to know that the girl in front of him was you. Seeing him right there, watching you, pains your heart. It felt like rubbing salt on a fresh wound.

 

The performance ended and the people greeted the both of you, slipping in little conversations in between. Some people were brave enough to ask the reason why you always had your face covered and you simply replied that your face wasn’t at its best condition at the time which was a pity.

 

“Aren’t you missing something today, miss?”

Chanyeol came to you. You wanted to cry again. Luckily, Luhan was by your side and you held his hand in yours for comfort but he had to entertain the other people and holding your hand, no matter how much he liked it, proved to be a handicap. He squeezed it then had let go of your hand.

 

You hesitated to open your mouth and speak but gave in, knowing well that he would go away unless you speak to him.

“What do you mean?”

 

“Your hands seem to be missing something.”

 

“You’re talking nonsense.”

 

“A green jade ring.”

He held your left hand. You missed his touch and probably this will be the last time he’ll hold your hand.

 

“It’s none of your business.”

Why did he know about the jade ring? Can he see your face beneath the veil?

“Now let me go.”

 

You swiftly turned around to go where Luhan is but you were bound by Chanyeol who has your hand in a firm grip.

 

“I said, let me go!”

You lost your self-control. You raised your voice. Now he was sure that it was you. Yoora was right, you came back.

 

“What’s going on?”

Luhan asked.

“Didn’t you hear her? Let her go.”

 

“On one condition.”

Chanyeol replied.

“This woman has to take the hat off.”

 

“How dare you?”

After knowing you for a year, he knew that at that moment something was wrong. You always hide or do a protective action when something scares you or reminds you of your past; covering your ears when you hear lightning or clenching your fists when there’s something wrong as if you were a child that was experiencing pain that he can’t explain. And right know, the fact that you refused to take of the hat while performing means that you were doing it for your protection, not just for your vanity. There was nothing wrong with your face, not even a single flaw. There and then, he realized that the man in front of him was not a mere stranger. He was the man that you love. That man was his rival.

“She’s a girl. Have some respect.”

 

“It’s fine.”

You managed to breathe out despite of the growing tension between the two men beside you.

“I’ll take it off.”

 

Slowly, Chanyeol’s grip on you loosened. You took your hat off to reveal a beautiful face that was stained with tears. None of the people that saw your face could describe your beauty. The skin on your face resembled porcelain, white and pure while your lips and cheeks bore a perfect shade of coral.

 

He touched your face that was trying to bear a stoic expression. He couldn’t believe it, you were there in front of his eyes again. He was touching you, he was looking at you again. Your expression softened as if you were about to cry.

 

“Welcome home.”

Instinctively, Chanyeol leaned in and placed a long chaste kiss on your lips in front of Luhan, his father and a whole lot of people. The softness and warmth of his lips provided you the assurance that everything will be fine, you had returned to your home and nothing would harm your heart again. It is inevitable that his marriage would have to be cancelled. It was a scandal. The favorite child of the famous family of musicians had kissed a stranger in front of many people.

“My Yunhee.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

You broke the kiss and hugged him. You missed him so much and you didn’t care if he would be married in less than a week. You love this man. To you, he was your home.

“I’ll never leave again.”

 

“You see that red string that tied them to each other?”

Beside Luhan was a woman who was dressed in priestess attire. She looked at him. She has one of the most compelling eyes he had ever seen. Her voice was beautiful and unworldly, like nothing he had heard before.

 

“I couldn’t see anything.”

He replied, confused.

 

“It can be knotted, twisted and stretched but can never be broken. Those two are meant for each other. You must accept defeat and fall back. You have someone else at the end of that string of yours, Luhan.”

It looked like she wasn’t asking for his opinion as she turned to leave.

“Your story doesn’t end here. It’s just about to begin.”

 

 

 

 AUTHOR'S NOTES

Chanyeol's story finally finished!  Sorry it took so long to finish. I was busy in school and  I occationally had the writer's block.

I hope that the story ended well. I could have made more of those Yunhee and Chanyeol moments T.T

I believe that they're too few T. T OTL

Forgive me...  I'm becoming more verbose lately and  my  five chapter limit isn't enough for me anymore. 

 

A mysterious lady appeared! Who is she? Why does she know Luhan's name?

Any ideas? 

I'm so excited! Luhan's story will be a bit different, a special genre! I can't contain my excitement anymore!

 

Hey! I just reach 100+ total subscribers for my stories ^^ I'm so happy! Thank you everyone!

Please upvote, comment and subscribe ^^

I'd like you to know what you think^^