Breath

Tales of Love from the Joseon Dynasty

chapter eighteen;
                                       human

 

 

Luhan took one last sip at his tea that was already running cold. The air that day was humid and warm and drinking tea proved to be impractical but it was an addiction he had ever since he decided to stay in Joseon. He could drink liquor but it really was not to his liking. The bitter taste of it doesn’t appeal to him and the smell that would come out of the drinker’s body was not one of its charms either. He never found it appealing but he was not disgusted by it.

 

“I guess I have to get out of this house sometimes too.”

He took porcelain cup that was intricately painted with blue flowers into his hands again, looking at it. He took a deep breath and let out a large sigh then gently placed the fragile porcelain on the wooden floor of his house.

 

The great space that he was living in was a house, never a home. Despite the grandiose of a house he had, it always seemed empty to him. The house was said to be a previous home of a merchant family that couldn’t take the burden of paying their taxes and eventually, the house was taken into the custody of the local government officials. He managed to obtain it after offering an incredibly large sum for the house.

 

He rebuilt the house that was almost turning into shambles using the money he had accumulated during the times he had been playing in China, making him remember the prime of his career when he teamed up with a girl for a duet of his guzheng and her gayagum. It was a perfect collaboration and they were known to be musicians that resembled living dolls due to their incredible beauty.

 

He can never forget that girl. He still remembers her pure complexion, her eyes that always sparkled and her endearingly childish lips. He can still feel her thin and warm hands whenever he hold hers before their performances and he can still hear her laughter chiming in his ears.

 

Yunhee, could there be any escape from you?

 

Letting out another lifeless sigh, he walked, not knowing where faith and his own two feet would lead him.

 

 

-

 

 

Luhan picked up a golden trinket that resembled the Forbidden City in Beijing, his home town in China. Even though he would never admit it, he missed his hometown. He wanted to return but he didn’t want to risk being bombarded by people asking where his partner is. He and his partner never clearly defined their relationship in public but the people had always assumed that they were a couple. It was a complicated relationship. He loved the girl but she only viewed him as her companion, friend and savior, nothing more.

 

“How much is this Forbidden City?”

He finally said.

 

“100 yuan.”

The man said in a cheery voice.

 

“I’ll take it.”

He picked a black silken pouch from his sleeves, pulling out a string of money from it.

 

“Wah... You really have a lot of money don’t you?”

The man said as he was looking at his lavish clothes. They were made from the finest silk, a material that is of high value because the resources of Joseon had no ability to produce it and therefore, the material could only be traded and imported from Chinese merchants.

 

“I don’t care much about it.”

Money was one thing Luhan always had and was not worried of wasting. He had a lot of it. Being born from a rich family was one thing he could not deny and he was always thankful for it. His family funded his education in music, making him as skilled as he is now.

 

He slightly bowed to the man as it gave him the trinket, wrapped up in a red silk cloth. He was ready to set off but he heard a familiar voice speaking to him.

 

“Isn’t this doll just pretty?”

It sounded so ethereal, there’s no words to describe it, that it could only be from one person.

 

He turned around and faced the woman where the voice originated.  He was right, it was the priestess in black and white attire that he encountered on the day he last played or heard music. That was right, he never touched his instrument again after being heartbroken and losing the girl he loved. It was not that he didn’t know that she would eventually return to that person. He always felt that she didn’t love him in a way he wanted to be loved but still, he couldn’t wholeheartedly let her go.

 

“Yes it is.”

He finally snapped back to reality. The priestess might have remembered his face and decided to make small talk.

 

“Would you like to have it?”

She smiled at him, showing a glint in her eyes.

“I’ll give it to you as a present for following my advice last time.”

 

He was quite surprised. He didn’t really expect the woman to remember him. A season had already passed.

 

“As much as I want to accept your gift, I think you got me wrong priestess.”

There was hesitance in his tone; there was something in him that wanted to be careful around the woman. He always felt that there was something more to the woman in front of him than what meets the eye.

“I am a man. I don’t play with these things.”

 

“Then would you accept it if I tell you that the doll comes with a charm?”

She said again, just about he was planning to leave her.

 

“A charm?”

 

She certainly had the attention of the young man.

 

“A charm to help find your happiness again.”

She said while caressing the long black hair of the well-detailed doll.

 

“I’m fine.”

He answered in defense as he looked straight into her eyes but then quickly focused his eyes into the ground, where his feet were.

 

“But you are not happy.”

She taunted him.

“Your house, I saw it yesterday. It’s really pretty but can you call it a home? Is your happiness in there?”

 

He didn’t dare to look at her. It was as if she was reading his mind. She spoke the truth.

 

“Go ahead. Have her.”

She said as she gently placed the doll in Luhan’s arms.  The doll was pretty big, about three times the length of his hands. It was intricately made, the face and body was made from porcelain and the eyes seemed like it was made from some sort of resin.  The doll had long black hair. Its lips were gently glistening as the sun had hit them. It was beautiful, truly a work of art.

“Place a kiss on the doll’s lips and happiness will soon come to you.”

 

“But I said I’m fine.”

With that, he noticed that the priestess was already gone.

“Priestess?”

 

She was like a mirage, quickly appearing and disappearing whenever she wanted to. What kind of person is she?

 

 

-

 

 

Somehow, Luhan’s feet felt like they were in a hurry to head back home. He was excited and he didn’t know why but he felt like a kid who was coming home and expecting his parents to give him a sweet treat when he arrives.

 

He hurriedly got inside his room, not bothering to pick the porcelain tea cup that he left at the entrance of the main house, where his room was. He didn’t even bother to arrange his shoes and had lazily left them at the elevation.

 

He didn’t even bother opening the silk cloth that contained his golden trinket.

 

“So all I have to do was to kiss you and happiness goes back into my life.”

Luhan said as he stared at the life-like doll.

 

He was sceptic. The whole concept sounds silly. How would kissing a doll help him find his happiness? Would Yunhee magically become his and forget that man?

 

Still, he placed a gentle peck on the doll’s lips.

“Help me find my happiness. I beg of you.”

 

 

-

 

 

The sound of gentle breathing filled your ears. You can feel your chest rising and falling along with someone in unison and your fingers felt a foreign silky material. You opened your eyes but being blinded by the strange white light that went in your line of sight, you closed them again and clutched your fingers at whatever you can hold at the moment.

 

Eventually, curiosity took over you as you opened them again, gently this time; letting that white light into your eyes little by little. It wasn’t as bad as you thought. It just seemed that the sunlight was a little harsher in your current state.

 

You looked at the thing that your hands were holding onto so dearly. It was the clothes of something that looked similar but a lot different than you. It was a man.

 

You successfully supported your own weight and stood up to look at your surroundings. It was refreshing. It felt good to be able to have the ability to move by yourself rather than waiting for someone to pick you up.

 

You saw the mirror, a thing that you loved since forever. It never failed to amuse you. It was... magical for you. You rushed in front of it to see how you looked. You were surprised. You knew that you, somehow, was blessed with the ability to move but you never expected that you became one of those amazing creatures that you saw in the market place. You are human.

 

You looked again in front of the mirror and touched your face. It was soft. Even the pads of your fingers also felt soft.

 

So this is what a human feels like. Amazing.

 

You smiled. You looked pretty. It seemed that your vanity had the best of you. It was your first time seeing your reflection.

 

You had long black hair flowing straight across your back. Your skin was white and your cheeks and lips had that slight rosy tint in them, as if they were painted with watercolor. It was truly a pretty sight and it was you in your human form.

 

You looked outside as you wanted to see the other things that were there. You looked at the blue vastness of the sky. The clouds looked so soft, softer than what you’ve seen before. Not like you’ve seen the sky that much before anyway.

 

The sunlight had faded. The sky and the clouds were turning grey as it started to rain. Strange, it was raining on a fine summer day. You had stuck out your right hand to feel the rain. I was cold and wet but it was likable to you. You inhaled the wonderful scent it brought, earthy and a little musky.

 

You heard a mumble from the man that was sleeping so peacefully earlier. You bent down to look at him. He was handsome, a person with delicate features and long lashes. Your hands felt the urge to touch his face, curious to know if his face felt the same as yours.

 

Your fingers ran down the gentle curve of his jaw as he shifted in his sleep, a name escaping his lips.

“Yunhee.”

 

You sat by his side, watching him sleep. You touched the bridge of your nose and did the same to him. Lastly, you touched your lips and did the same to him.

 

His eyes gently opened to see the person who was disturbing his sleep. He just hates it when his sleep is disturbed. With fuming eyes, he looked at you.

“Who are you? Why are you in my house?”

 

 

 AUTHOR'S NOTES

This story would be a different genre than I'm used to so yeah ^^ I'm excited.

I'hope it turns out well and you'll like it ^^

 

On another note, my condolences go to the families and victims of the Sewol Ferry Incident.

Especially to the students from Ansan high school.

 

How was the chapter? 

Please comment, upvote and subscribe ^^

You inspire me ^^