Weapon

Tales of Love from the Joseon Dynasty

chapter eight; 
              to run away

 

 

You went home seeing the old the lady preparing your clothes; matching them with one another. She had your room cleaned too. Your makeup had been carefully packed into the box where it belongs.

 

“Ajumma, you don’t have to clean my room. I can do it myself.”

You held her hands to stop her from working. She was now very old and you don’t want her to strain herself. Her hands were rough from all the years she had been carefully washing your clothes and cleaning the house. This woman had done so much to you already.

 

“No, my child.”

She released your hands and continued what she was doing

“I’m doing this because your brother had asked me to pack your things and get your best clothes.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Agassi, aren’t you about to get married?”

She gave you a questioning look that later changed into a teasing smile.

“Is it with Yifan?”

 

“That’s impossible...”

Your head was spinning. Married? How can you get married if you had no lover? Yifan was the closest to a lover you had now but your relationship was just a big game. Jet black hair, pale skin and a beautiful face... You are one of the mercantile district’s most beautiful women. Surely, you know that many men had wanted to make you theirs but your brother would never let anyone take you away from his side.

 

“Child, is it possible that you didn’t know about this?”

 

You had no time to answer her. You had a bad feeling about this. Jihoon was an over-protective brother and wouldn’t just let anyone get your hand without having anything in return. He was a man with a lot of hidden motives in mind but he always makes sure that he tells you what they are. Unknowingly, your feet quickly led you to his room and found him with a man in silken clothes.

 

“Is this the beauty you promised to me?”

The man was very old and was apparent though his wrinkled face. He smiled at you as you tried to prevent yourself from throwing up. His teeth were disgustingly tinted in yellow and were crooked in so many angles that you probably lost count. You can feel your stomach curl from the unbearable disgust you were trying to hide. Why did your brother promise you to this man?

 

 

-

 

 

“Jihoon! What are your plans?”

You tugged at his collar tightly. You weren’t intimidated by him. After all, he’s your own twin brother which makes you his equal.

“That is not a man but lowly dust!”

 

“Relax, my dear sister.”

He patted your head and gently smiled at you.

“He won’t even touch you on your first night.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“That dust of a man is one of our competitors. We have to kill him before he surpasses us.”

He stared at you blankly. It was not surprising. Killing was an ordinary thing for the both of you. You had done it many times.

 

“Is it the only reason, Jihoon?”

You looked at him, wanting to know his reason. Yes, the two of you had your hands tainted with blood many times before but the both of you simply kill those who had already killed you; those men that killed your parents and deprived you of their love.

“Have you seen this man before?”

 

Your parents weren’t killed by simple murderers but by men of merchants and other landlords. Jihoon saw them all and their faces were forever etched in his mind. They mercilessly killed them and now, you’re doing them the same ill-fated favor.

 

“Tomorrow, at your first night together, kill him before he touches you.”

He didn’t answer your question and turned his back at you, preparing to leave.

 

“Why not let me barge into his house and silently kill him?”

You held onto his arm. They were firm and muscular to a bearable measure.

 

“There are more guards than you can handle. You’ll be dead before you get out of the house.”

 

“Then come with me. Let’s end this together.”

You looked into his eyes. They were screened in a stoic expression but you can sense his hurt. He had seen that man before.

 

“I had already done my part. I already killed his wife and you are to replace her. That way, you’ll easily kill him without anyone suspecting.”

He roughly took his arm off your grip and left.

 

You had no choice but to calm yourself down. Jihoon, isn’t he concerned about you? Even just a little bit? What if something goes wrong? What if the people find out that you killed that old man after?

 

 

-

 

 

It was the day of the wedding. Your clothes and makeup were packed and a wooden palanquin was sent to your house. You were wearing your most elegant clothes and your most expensive powder. Of course, you were also wearing the perfume you always had. The scent helped you calm your nerves. Maybe the relaxing effect had been the effect of putting a little more than the usual amount you always do. Your body had been used to the toxin of the perfume.

 

The Chinese perfumer said that the flower used was called Ipaasha. It was the flower of a small Arabian country that had always been free so the flower that represented it was named Ipaasha, an Arabic word for freedom. Freedom, shall you go to extreme measures and drink the Ipaasha to taste it?

 

You inhaled deeply and got inside the palanquin.

 

 

-

 

 

Your palanquin arrived at the house of the old man. The house was big, far bigger than yours and it was guarded by at least thirty guards. It was old but had clearly undergone repairs. Big houses from the mercantile district had been passed on from one generation to generation. There were not a lot of decent houses in the district as wealth was also passed from generation to generation. People can only go down their status but never can it be raised; unless they marry someone of a higher class.

 

“Jieun, what are you doing? Come out now.”

Your brother hashly said.

 

You didn’t reply but you gracefully came out of the palanquin, dressed in your clothes and your face was concealed behind a hat and surprisingly, you had a gayagum.

 

“Jieun, since when did your height matched mine?”

Your brother asked.

 

“Who’s Jieun?”

A deep voice came out and Jihoon immediately removed the veiled hat from what he thought was his sister. It was not you but a man who was wearing the exact garments the old lady had prepared for you. He also had some make-up on too.

“I thought the wedding needs a musician?”

 

“Where is my sister?”

Jihoon had put his grip at the man in front of him.

 

“I don’t know. Someone just asked me to wear this and go inside the palanquin to play music.”

The tall elf-like man turned around.

"These are pretty clothes, though."

 

 

-

 

 

“What are you doing?! Let me go!”

You were trying to get his large hands off your waist. The old lady had gone to him after complying to Jihoon’s orders. She didn’t want you to marry someone that you don’t love and to top it all off, it was an aged man. ‘Please, don’t let her go. Hold onto her. I’m not asking you to marry her. But, my Lord, please save her just this once.’ she said.

 

“No! I won’t let you get to that wedding!”

His grip around you got tighter as the stallion ran faster. The both of you had been riding into the forest for quite a while now. The palanquin must have reached the merchant’s house.

 

“Please!”

It sounded like a desperate plea. That man... That man could be your final kill too. What a waste.

“You’re ruining my chances.”

 

The horse had stopped and Yifan had harshly got you off it. He was pulling your arms and it hurt. Why was he angry? You didn’t want to go with him. You were scared of him. You sat on the ground and let him desperately drag your weight.

 

“What are you doing? Get up.”

He was getting annoyed at you and he didn’t know why. What happened to him?

 

“I don’t want to.”

 

He was getting impatient and swiftly carried you into his arms despite of your many protests. The both of you went inside a little house and it was just enough for one or two persons to live. It didn’t have any guards or housekeepers but it can provide you with comfort during the night.

 

“This was my grandfather’s. We used to meet here until I finally adjusted to the life outside the palace. I didn’t get the chance to go here for the last five years so there would be lots of dust but if we clean it, we can live here.”

He gently placed you on the floor.

 

“I have to go to the wedding.”

 

“You don’t have to.”

 

“I want to.”

 

“I won’t let you.”

He circled his arms around you and let his chin rest on your hair.

“I won’t let you go in a wedding where you won’t be married to me in the end of it.”

 

Your heart was pounding. Do you secretly want that to happen?

 

No! Please don’t hold on to me so dearly.

 

“This is just another game, isn’t it?”

You tried to push him but it was no use.

 

“No.”

 

“Let me go! I don’t like you! Don’t you see? I only associate myself with you because you are a prince! But seeing that you are now getting in my way, I don’t want to see you anymore!”

Your words felt like it had hurt you more than it had hurt him. Your tears felt like it will slip. You pushed him away he had obediently let go of you.

 

You went out of the house and found yourself in the middle of nowhere. Only Yifan knows where the both of you are. Maybe you should have asked him for directions first. No! He had been to hurt by yours words before. He may not even talk to you even you kneel before him. Should you just give up?

 

You had been regretting every decision you’ve made lately. It looked like it was for the best at that time but looking at it now, it only made you lonely.

 

“Let’s go. You’ll get lost if you don’t come with me.”

You looked your fingers that were linked to his. Isn’t he mad at you? He took you by surprise when he placed a brief and chaste kiss on your lips. Your eyes widened and your heart was pounding.

“It’ll let you go this time but you must promise that you’ll return to me again.”

 

“I promise.”

You gently smiled at him.

 

 

 

 AUTHOR'S NOTES

Finally! I'm sorry that you had been waiting for this for so long. *90 degree bow* I've been reaaal busy this past few months, hope you can understand.

I'm starting to to think this has been turning into angst too... don't worry, it won't turn into a full-on one though ^^

 

Please comment, vote and subscribe ^^ I'd like to hear from you~