Chapter 9

The Chaser

 

Happy Holidays! ^o^

 

 


 

 

          YES! There’s parking! I quickly parked my car before anyone could even think of stealing it from me.

            I grabbed my bag and left the car, not forgetting to lock it. I will be damned if I get my car stolen.

            I walked into the coffee shop and headed to the counter. I still have this bad feeling if I hang-out at a coffee shop without ordering something, makes me feel like I’m doing something bad.

            I scanned through the menu…okay, an Americano sounds nice…

            “One Iced Americano,” I said to the guy behind the counter.

            Damn. I should’ve put some BB Cream. This guy’s staring at me. Yes, sometimes girls leave their house without make-up, okay? Especially when the girl didn’t even plan on leaving the house.

            “One Iced Americano, 5000 won,” he told me.

            I quickly paid him.

            “Your drink will be served in a moment, please take a seat,” he said with a lingering smile.

            What’s with the smile? Don’t tell me that’s pity you’re giving me…

            I looked around for Sunggyu, but the only customers were a group of 7 guys. Yeah, I doubt Sunggyu has that many friends.

            -RING-

            I grabbed my phone, not even bothering to check who was calling me. Because only one person would be calling me at 7 in the morning--- WHAT?! IT’S ONLY 7 IN THE MORNING?!

            “Yoboseyo,” I answered without any power.

            I’m awake at 7 in the morning on a Sunday morning. Even my brother knows that he shouldn’t wake me up before noon on a weekend.

            “Where are you?” He asked.

            “Where else?” I seethed.

            Either he’s dense or he just completely ignored my passive-aggressiveness, but a head suddenly popped out of the group of 7 guys, and he was smiling.

            Sunggyu.

            Guess I was wrong. He does have that many friends… but why do they seem younger than him?

            I slowly walked towards them… As soon as I reached their table, Sunggyu suddenly grabbed my hand…

            Boy, what are you doing???

            “Guys, this is Eunji,” he said.

            I gave his friends a slight bow and polite smile.

            “Eunji, that’s Sungjong, Dongwoo, Hoya, Sungyeol, Woohyun and L.”

            “One iced Americano,” the waiter suddenly appeared out of nowhere and placed my order in front of me.

            “Uahhh, Eunji-shi has good taste! I like her already, hyung!” Sungyeol almost shouted at Sunggyu.

            Okay… is this like meeting his family?

            “So what are we doing at a coffee shop on a Sunday morning?” I asked Sunggyu.

            “Well, Sunggyu-hyung was going on and on about you for the past few days and we wanted to meet you,” Dongwoo said.

            “And he said you had an exam tomorrow, so we wanted to distract you for the time being,” Woohyun continued.

            “Because we all know, cramming the day before an exam is useless,” Hoya said.

            “What they said,” Sunggyu smiled at me.

            “So are we going to spend the rest of the day here?” I raised an eyebrow at them.

            “Oh! And hyung said you didn’t know who we are,” Sungjong asked me.

            “Yeah. I’m not really updated on the whole idol groups’ thing. Sorry,” I said to them.

            “Then let’s go to a noraebang upstairs!” Woohyun shouted with enthusiasm.

            “GAME,” I shouted with the same amount of enthusiasm.

            They all stared at me.

            “What? It’s been a long time since I’ve gone to a noraebang… And if I’m getting ‘kidnapped’ I might as well enjoy it,” I shrugged.

            “Eunji-shi, can I have a sip of your drink? I already finished mine, but I don’t think I can finish a whole drink if I order a new one,” Sungyeol asked me when we started making our way to the noraebang.

            “Yah! Sungyeol! You just met her!” Hoya scolded him.

            “Ani, it’s fine. I won’t be able to finish it anyway,” I told Hoya while I handed the Americano to Sungyeol.

            “Kumowo, Eunji-shi!” Sungyeol bowed to me.

            “No biggie. Oh, and if you could stop attaching a –shi to my name, that’d be great. The only time people call me Eunji-shi is when they’re mad at me,” I explained.

            Yup. I can still remember Himchan calling me Park Eunji-shi when I forgot to tell him I was skipping class; and we had a deal that when one of us skips a class, the other tags along. Eeeshh… Bad memories.

            I felt myself shiver.

            “You cold?” I heard Sunggyu ask from behind me as we were entering the noraebang.

            I shook my head, “Ani, just got goosebumps for some reason.”

            But as soon as we settled ourselves inside the room, my answer didn’t stop him from shrugging off his jacket and laying it on my lap.

            I rolled my eyes at him, “Sunggyu, I really don’t feel cold.”

            “That’s not why I gave you the jacket,” he answered me and gave a sneaky glance to his friends.

            “Aish, hyung! We’re not erts!--- or at least we won’t check out our sister-in---” I heard Woohyun whine, but got cut short when Sunggyu shot him a look.

            “Noona! So you seriously don’t know us, right? Let me see—I’ll sing ‘Nothing’s Over’,” Sungjong announced.

            “Kumowo, Sungjong-ah,” I smiled at him.

            Just like that everyone started becoming competitive.

            What the hell did I get myself into?

            “Oh! I pick—‘Before the Dawn’,” Hoya declared.

            “No fair!” Dongwoo started, “Dibs on ‘ToRaWa’.”

            “‘Paradise’,” L simply called out, trying to seem indifferent, but the competitiveness was there.

            Woohyun made a loud gasp, “Yah! Who knew L was this competitive? ‘The Chaser’ for me.”

            “‘She’s Back’,” Sungyeol sang in a weird melody which I can only assume to be the tone of the song.

            “‘Be Mine’,” Sunggyu said, locking eyes with me.

            … Was that supposed to be a declarative statement or was he stating the title of the song he was going to sing?