Chapter 7

The Chaser

 

 

            "So... My name is Kim Sunggyu. Leader of the idol group called INFINITE. Born on April 28, 1989," he said and took a spoonful of food and took a bite.

            I looked at him funnily, "I could've google-d those facts. And I'm sure the first hit I get, your fans posted more than what you said."

            "Tell me something about Kim Sunggyu the guy, not Kim Sunggyu the leader of INFINITE," I continued.

            He swallowed his food and smiled at me, "Arasso, but I gotta tell you, sometimes those two overlap."

            I nodded at him and gave him an encouraging smile, "Okay, but start from the beginning okay?"

            I stretched my legs underneath the table, to get into a more comfortable position.

            "So... Yeah... I was born on April 28, 1989 in North Jeolla. I have an older sister who I'm really close to. Our parents were really conservative so we were expected to have high grades. Grade school wasn't really the highlight of my life. I was a really chubby and lazy kid, so I got scolded a lot," he paused and gave me a cheeky smile.

            … chubby and lazy? Sounds like my childhood. I smiled a little when I realized we actually had something in common.

            "High School was better. I grew out of my chubby phase but couldn't shake off the cheeks. Joined a band called 'Beat'. That was when I realized I wanted--no, needed to be a singer. I decided right then, that nothing was going to get in my way. Of course, my parents were another story," he said.

            I nodded. I think everyone knew what it felt to be pressured by their parents.

            "So, I became class president--"

            That's when I almost choked on water.

            This guy became class president?

            "Class president?! Aren't they supposed to have high grades?" I asked in disbelief.

            He gave me a proud smile and nodded.

            Cheeky bastard.

            He continued, "Since my parents were all about grades, to get them off my back, I just gave them what I wanted, but that didn't mean I wouldn't be able to do what I wanted. I just lowered the number of hours of my sleep," he explained.

            "Lower? How much sleep did you exactly get?" I asked.

            "... Close to none... BUT-- Before you judge... I gotta tell you. At that time, I didn't even notice I was tired. It just seemed like time was moving, but I didn't get tired. I didn’t even spend much time in my room during those years. After school, I would head straight to the dance studio to train. I'd finish around 4 and have just enough time to go back home to shower and get dressed for school."

            Did my jaw just hit the ground? I feel like it should have... It should have left a dent on the floor too.

            "Guess you looked cool to the girls, huh? Class president who sings in a band," I said in a daze.

            "Yeah, I was pretty much a heartbreaker then," he told me.

            It was a good thing I already finished my sandwich or else I would have really choked on it.

            "Now I see where the overflowing confidence came from," I commented.

            "I can see it now. Music Festivals, main attraction: Kim Sunggyu. Girls throwing themselves at you. So, how many hearts did you manage to break during your stint at high school?" I asked.

            He shrugged, "None. I was pretty focused on becoming a singer; I couldn't pay attention to them."

            "So, you graduated from high school, then what?" I asked, urging him to continue.

            "Same thing for another 4 years. I was attending college and training at the same time. I majored in Business, actually. Got a Laude award when I graduated," he said with a smile and nudged my foot underneath the table.

            I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, yeah. I get it, you're smart."

            "So, any trail of broken hearts you left at college? I can't imagine you not dating during your whole college life."

            "Nope, I was still focused on being a singer. There were a few confessions here and there, but I never accepted. I explained to them that I couldn't risk any distractions. See? Turns out we do have something in common, huh?" He asked as he nudged my foot again.

            I rolled my eyes.

            "So what? Now that you've debuted, you finally have time to date? That's a bit backwards, don't you think?" I commented.

            "Yeah, I know it's a bit messed up. But right now, I realized that love is first, the friendship, then fame and money," he answered without breaking his gaze from mine.

            "Oh! Don't tell the fans, but my favorite colors aren't actually black and white, that's what just the stylists keep on putting on me. My favorite color is really blue," he said to lighten the mood.

            "And the fans think that I like my small eyes, but I'm really insecure about it," he told me quietly.

            "What's not to like? I think they're actually cute," I said, without filtering my thoughts.

            Mhhmmm... I'm gonna pay for that comment, aren't I...

            "You think I'm cute?" He exclaimed.

            Yup, there it is...

            "I said your eyes were cute. I didn't say you," I shot back.

            He just squinted his eyes at me.

            "Fine, you're not ugly. But that's all you're getting out of me. You've already got a big enough ego as it is," I answered his thoughts.

            There was silence.

            "You think I'm cute," he said again, nudging my foot.

            I quickly stood up and got the sandwich wrapper and empty bottle of water, "I'll just meet you at the library when you're done eating."

            "I was joking! Just give me 5 minutes," he quickly back-pedaled.

            I sat back down and just watched him gulp down all of his food.

            He does look good--when he's not inhaling his food... But I'll be damned if I feed his ego even more.