Chapter 21

The Chaser

            The fan meet went off without a hitch.

            They managed to finish early, which apparently was a very rare occurrence in these kinds of event.

            Sunggyu invited me to watch from the first row, but Unnie was feeling tired, so we just watched from the waiting room.

            And like hell I was going to put myself in the middle of a crowd of screaming, hormonal girls.

            I’m pretty sure the fan meet went off without a hitch because I was all the way back in the waiting room.

            They performed a few of their songs, and I must admit that Hoya is not the only one who can dance. I’m actually surprised Sunggyu can keep up with all the dance moves.

            The door opens and suddenly the clapping and the screaming become more than the buzz I was hearing earlier.

            The guys were covered in sweat when they filed in, so I tossed them each a face towel.

            I am a firm believer in maintaining the sacred personal space of everyone – especially when people are sweating.

            “Eunji and I will step outside while you guys dress up so you can use the whole room,” Unnie announces.

            I shrug and get up from the vanity chair, so I can follow her out.

            As soon as we close the door, I hear the guys starting to tease Sunggyu.

            “Yah, hyung, you’re changing clothes extra quick today, aren’t you?” I hear Dongwoo ask.

            “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you move so fast!” Woohyun jokes.

            “Hyung! Have you been working out? I’ve never seen you so ripped!” I hear Hoya exclaim.

            I feel my cheeks start to burn.

            “You excited about tonight?” I hear Unnie ask.

             I nod, “Yup.”

            She smiles at me, “Well, don’t let him kiss you on the first date.”

            My mind chooses this particular time to remind me of the kiss Sunggyu and I already shared.

            Great timing, Brain.

            Great timing.

            “Don’t tell me,” I hear Unnie gasp.

            I shift my eyes because I am not going to lie to Unnie.

            “When?” She prods, bumping my shoulder.

            I don’t get to answer because thankfully, Sunggyu opens the door.

            “Noona, we’re done changing clothes,” Sunggyu announces.

            I mouth “Thank you.”

            Noona looks at us both like she’s following a tennis ball.

            “This isn’t over Park Eunji,” she promises with a smile, as she goes into the room, leaving me in the hallway with Sunggyu.

            “What was that about?” Sunggyu asks quietly.

            “She gave me advice for our first date,” I say, shaking my head.

            “And?” He pushes.

            “She told me not to kiss you,” I laugh.

            “But we--”

            “Exactly,” I cut him off.

            “Well, I guess that cost me a few brownie points, huh?” He comments.

            “Well, she didn’t exactly tell me to bail on you, did she?” I answer his question with my own.

            We were still looking at each other when the others started filing out of the room.

            “We’ll see you at the dorm, hyung,” Woohyun says as he passes by.

            Sunggyu just nods.

            Unnie was the last one to exit the room, “The boys are gonna give me a ride back to the apartment. Don’t be out too late.”

            “Are you sure? Hoon might not be keen on that arrangement. I can bring you home first,” I offer.

            One, because Hoon does not like Unnie being inconvenienced with travel logistics which is why when I’m not driving Unnie, he is. Two, it gives me a change to change out of my black and white number ninety-nine football jersey and ripped jeans into something more appropriate for a date.

            What? I’m a girl too.

            It’s not like I’m gonna change into a dress either. Just something that I haven’t been wearing the whole day.

            “I’m sure. I already told Hoon. He’s been waiting at the lobby since,” she smiles.

            I nod, “Okay, see you later.”

            They leave and it’s just Sunggyu and me left in the hallway.

            “So…” I start.

            I immediately get self-conscious.

            AGH. This is probably the worst part of dating.

            He smiles, “No need for the awkward push and pull. In my mind this is practically our third date.”

            He takes my hand and leads me into the waiting room.

            “Uh, if this was your idea of a date, I can see why you never left a string of broken hearts in college,” I joke.

            He raises an eyebrow at me, “Hey, I’m new at this. There’s still a learning curve.”

            He leads me to the couch and pulls me down so we’re seated next to each other with close to no space in between, “And, we’re just killing time because the dinner reservation isn’t until 7:30 pm.”

            “Where are we eating anyway?” I ask.

            “It’s a surprise,” he counters.

            It was my turn to raise an eyebrow, “Uh, since we’re using my car to get there, I’m gonna need an address.”

            “Not if you let me drive,” he says quietly, as he starts to move around the couch so he faces me and his right leg is in between us.

            I audibly gasp.

            Like, for real, honest to goodness, gasp.

            “Are you serious right now?” I ask, hoping his answer was no.

            “I am,” he says sincerely.

            “We could have used my car, but it wouldn’t have been as touching, plus my car isn’t as tricked out as yours,” he says with a playful tone.

            So we’re taking my car because it’s more tricked out?

            I try to bargain, “How about I drive and you give me directions?”

            I see a small smirk appearing on the edge of his lips.

            He knows he’s got me.

            He shakes his head, “Nope. I want it to be a surprise. I even brought a blindfold.”

            At the mention of blindfold, I feel my whole body tense up.

            He notices too, “We don’t have to do the blindfold, you can just close your eyes, but you have to promise me you won’t peek.”

            I smile and avoid explaining why I don’t like blindfolds, “Deal, I’ll keep my eyes closed, and you drive. You know how to drive a stick shift, right?”

            He smiles at me, “I’ve been taking lessons, I’m not as smooth as you just yet.”

            “Well, you don’t see me trying to practice singing and dancing in the hopes to be as good as you,” I ask him to make an analogy.

            “So you thought I was good! I was thinking it was going to take the whole night before you comment on my performance,” he says with a triumphant smile.

            I roll my eyes, of course that’s what he takes away from that statement.

            I throw him my car keys and grab my bag, “Come on.”

            As promised I take my seat in the passenger seat and close my eyes.

            I feel the car start and the distinct movement that he puts his arm around the headrest of my seat to look at the rear while backing up the car.

            My eyes flicker open to see that he’s staring right at me.

            “You’re cheating,” he whispers.

            I smile, “Oh yes, because I would know exactly where we’re going without getting out of the garage.”

            “Close them please,” he requests.

            I comply, but I can feel he hasn’t settled himself back into the driver’s seat.

            He gives me a light peck on the lips.

            “Hey, now you’re cheating. Unnie said I shouldn’t kiss you tonight,” I say with my eyes close.

            I feel him settle back into the seat, “One, you didn’t kiss me. I kissed you. Two, as I said earlier, I consider this our third date.”

            I hear him shift gears. Third gear.

            “Technicalities,” I say under my breath.

            “You say technicalities, I hear loopholes,” he says, and I can hear his smile.

            I feel the car turn right, “Hey, don’t go so fast here. Sometimes people come out from behind cars.”

            “You know where we are?” I hear him ask incredulously.

            I nod, “Race car driver, remember?”

            He remains silent and makes a few more turns, “Where are we now?”

            “Crossing the Han River… Banpo Bridge. You really like taking the scenic route, don’t you?” I ask.

            “Damn, you’re good. And yes, if we’re heading somewhere, we might as well enjoy the ride,” he explains.

            “Correction. You are enjoying the ride, while I’m stuck here with my eyes closed,” I point out.

            “Fine. Why don’t you sleep? It’s gonna take us at least an hour to get there anyway,” he conceded.

            Me?

            Sleep?

            In my own car?

            While a newbie is driving?

            Not in this lifetime.

            I force myself to not snort at his suggestion.

            I feel his hand hold mine, and my fingers automatically intertwine with his.

            “You’re gonna say this is cheesy, so it’s a good thing I’m the one driving right now,” I hear him start.

            “But we really seem to fit together, like pieces of the same puzzle or something. I can’t find the right words to explain it, but it makes sense in my head. We make sense,” he finishes.

            I smile, but I don’t speak right away.

            “You’re either smiling or laughing right now. God, I knew it was too soon to say that,” he says nervously, so far from the confident Sunggyu back in the waiting room.

            “You’re right,” I say as I squeeze his hand.

            “That was cheesy, but I get what you mean. And yeah, what you’re feeling, I feel it too,” I reassure him.

 


A/N: That's it for the day, guys. Enjoy :D