Chapter 13

The Chaser

 

just a quick update for you guys :D



 

 

          “I think I’m gonna have to buy myself a car,” Sunggyu said as he brought me home.

            Well, technically, I was bringing myself home, since I was driving back to Hoon’s apartment. I offered to bring him back to his dorm, but he said he wanted to make sure I got home safely, and he’ll just hail a cab from the apartment.

            I tried to refuse. An idol hailing a cab from an unknown apartment complex was bound to raise a few questions.

            “Don’t worry. I have a disguise on. No one will recognize me,” he tried to reassure me.

            I gave him a look.

            “Okay, two people recognized me. But that’s two people out of the whole city. No one recognized me when we watched the movie. No one recognized me when we were in the park,” he reasoned out.

            I sighed, “Fine, if you want to make your life more difficult, that’s your choice.”

            “It’s worth it if it’s for you,” I heard him say.

            I stepped on the brakes almost immediately.

            Gross.

            Did he seriously just say that?

            I put the car in neutral and pulled the handbrake, and looked at him.

            “You wanna change your statement?” I asked him with a raised eyebrow.

            “I am so sorry. I’ve been listening to Woohyun way too much. I can’t believe that came out of me,” he said in disbelief.

            “Good. I would’ve hated to kick you out of my car in the middle of the street if you sincerely meant that line, but I still would’ve done it, just so you know,” I told him as I put the car back into drive and disengaged the handbrake.

            “I think I’m gonna have to buy myself a car,” Sunggyu repeated, as we entered the basement parking.

            “Good for you,” I mindlessly said as I was parking the car.

            That would at least make you seem like a more mature person.

            “Yeah, I can’t have my girlfriend driving me around everywhere, it should be the other way around,” he said as I turned off the engine.

            Did he---

            Did he just---

            Did he just imply that we were going out with each other?

            More importantly, did he just imply that he was going to drive me around in his car?

            I scoffed, “Good for your girlfriend then.”

            I got out of my car and headed to the elevator.

            “You know I was referring to you when I said girlfriend, right?” He asked me with a panicked voice as he entered the elevator.

            “I told you I was a race car driver, right?” I asked him while fidgeting with my fingers, avoiding his eyes.

            “Yeah, so?” He asked, confused.

            How the hell do I explain this?

            I’ve only let my dad, brother and best friend drive me in their car because they’re the only people I trust?

            I started driving because I needed to feel like I am in control of my life?

            Because some jerk made me think I was worthless for not sleeping with him and then tried to---

            The elevator stopped at the lobby, bringing me back to reality.

            “It’s just that I have certain standards,” I smiled at him, hoping that he didn’t see my trip down to memory lane in the elevator.

            I stepped out of the elevator, checking if the coast was clear.

            Thank God.

            I motioned for him to follow me.

            “I’ll call a cab for you,” I told him as I reached for my phone, but he grabbed my hand.

            “Then maybe you can give me lessons,” he told me.

            I raised an eyebrow at him.

            “You know, so that I can be up to your standards,” he told me with a smile, but I can see that he was just avoiding the elephant in the room.

            “So, when can I give you your lessons? Between your live broadcast and dance practices or between your vocal practices and recordings?” I joked.

            “Schedule it after our date tomorrow,” he grinned at me.

            WHAT?

            My brain, are you functioning? Because I think you need to reply.

            Sunggyu leaned in and kissed my forehead while I just stared at him.

            “I’ll see you tomorrow after your exam,” he said with a smile as he exited through the front doors.

            I guess he took silence as a yes.