Chapter 16

The Chaser

            "Eunji-ah!"

            "Eunjia-ah!"

            "Where the hell have you been? Do you know how worried your brother is?"

            My imagination must be on overdrive because I think I actually hear someone calling my name.

            Wait, Hoon is worried? Hoon was the one who found me that day. Which means... the dude who's calling my name must be someone else. And I know it's not Himchan because he's dead asleep beside me on the grass.

            I crane my neck, and look for the source of the voice.

            I felt my eyes grow wide and my jaw drop.

            How the hell--?

            Why the hell?

            "Do you have any idea what time it is or how long your brother and Hyejung-noona have been looking for you?" Sunggyu ranted.

            "How long I’ve been looking for you? It's 3 in the morning Eunji! You've been gone 19 hours without telling anyone where you were going!" He continued.

            I wanted to cut him off, but everything he was saying was true.

            "She was with me. She's safe with me," Himchan interrupted him for me.

            "That doesn't mean you had to take her phone away from her," Sunggyu countered.

            Himchan quirked an eyebrow, not knowing I didn't have my phone on me.

            "Himchan had nothing to do with that. It was my decision to turn my phone off and leave it in my car," I explained in a leveled voice.

            "Then you should have made sure she got home at a reasonable hour," Sunggyu said through gritted teeth.

            "For God's sake! She's a grown woman! She should be able to make her own choices without someone breathing down her neck," Himchan said, finally standing.

            "She has a brother who has been worried sick about her. She at least needs to tell him she's okay," Sunggyu said in a calmer voice.

            "They had a fight, okay? She asked me to keep her mind off all the , so that she can clear her head. She'll call JongHoon when she's ready," HimChan told Sunggyu.

            They both continued to stare at each other wordlessly, and their anger starting to fill the whole park.

            I heaved a heavy sigh, "Sunggyu, no need to get mad at Himchan. Everything that happened today-or yesterday- whatever, is all on me. Everything is my fault. Hell, even the fight I had with Hoon was my fault. Himchan was just trying to make me feel better. Himchan, thank you for the day. I really needed it. I know you have training today, and I already monopolized your whole day yesterday, so you should go home, get some rest before you have to start your day in 3-ish hours," I said as I hugged Himchan goodbye.

            "What's a few more minutes? I'll drive you back to campus to get your car," Himchan offered with a grin, which I'm sure was to annoy Sunggyu more than anything else.

            I smiled at him, "I'll just get my car tomorrow- I mean later. God, you know that's a sign I shouldn't be driving. And I feel guilty enough as it is. And if you're late to training, you know Guk's gonna go ballistic. So just go home please? It'll help me feel better," I tell Himchan with a smile.

            An actual, genuine smile because even though another ty day is about to start, I know some things will never change.

            Himchan looked unconvinced which I guess Sunggyu took as an opening.

            "I'll drive her home. Hoon's expecting her soon," Sunggyu said.

            WTH? Am I suddenly invisible? Are we forgetting that I can make decisions too?

            Deep breaths, Eunji. Deep breaths.

            Himchan looked at me and I just rolled my eyes and shrugged. It's seems I don't have a say in anything anyway.

            He picked up the blanket we used on the grass and dusted it off before wrapping it around me.

            He quirked an eyebrow at me, and I instantly knew he was telling me to text him as soon as I got home.

            I rolled my eyes again, but this time with a smile.

            "Later," he called out as he started walking back to his car.

            I shifted my gaze to Sunggyu, who was just staring at me with an unreadable expression.

            "So are you gonna tell me where your car is or is Scotty beaming us up?" I joked, trying to keep things light.

            He shook his head, not changing his expression, "This way."

            I followed him silently as he walked to the opposite parking lot.

            My eyes widen for the second time today as I spotted the only car in the lot. A black Nissan GT-R.

            I blew out a whistle, "Damn. That's a beautiful beast."

            "Huh?" Sunggyu looked at me with his eyes still icy.

            "The car. I was talking about the car," I explained.

            "Oh," he replied.

            Oooookay.

            He opened the driver's door and got in, while I took a beat to compose myself.

            I settled myself in the shotgun seat, with the blanket still around me.

            He the engine, and I suddenly had the urge to fill the silence.

            "So, whose car is this?" I asked.

            "Mine."

            So were using one word responses? Awesome.

            "New?"

            "Yeah."

            "So... Is Hoon that angry?"

            "More worried than angry," he replied, his expression softening.

            "Are you angry?" I asked slowly.

            He sighed. "Of course not. I'm just-- I mean I was angry at myself. I was supposed to pick you up after your exam and I was 30 minutes late because of recording. I saw your car in the parking lot and I assumed you were waiting for me in your classroom, so I asked around. One of them said you left with another guy. And I swear, most of the scenarios didn't look like how I found you. I couldn't think straight, so I called Hyejung-noona. She said you got into a misunderstanding earlier this morning and you just needed time to cool off. I kept trying your phone. But. You. Just. Wouldn't. Pick. Up."

            I could see his grip on the steering wheel tightening, making his knuckles white.

            "When it got dark out and you still hadn't called anyone Hoon began to worry. He said that you might be out racing with your friend Himchan. And that's when it clicked. The first night we met and I followed you to a cafe. When you thought you had to save me from the fans, I remembered you talking to Himchan about meeting at your place at a river."

            "That's how you found me? Based on a passing conversation that happened nights ago?" I asked, truly dumbfounded.

            "Yeah," he nodded.

            "There's got to be at least 5 rivers, stretching out for miles in the city," I commented.

            "Why do you think it took me until now to find you?"

            "You shouldn't have troubled yourself, it was just me. I was going to have to go home sometime," I said quietly.

            We stopped at a red light and he turned to look at me.

            He really isn't angry, he's scared.

            He cupped my cheek with his left hand, "Of course I would trouble myself over you. For that reason alone. Because it was you."

            His thumb grazed over the healing cut on my lip, and his gaze lingered there.

            I felt a surge of energy pass through me, and I couldn't help but draw comparisons to Himchan. This was the difference.

            Himchan's touch calmed me, Sunggyu's set me on fire.

            My gaze lowered to his lips, and I felt myself blush. My lips parted and I gazed back up to Sunggyu's eyes.

            I felt him, more than I saw him, lean closer to me; and I mimicked his actions.

            HONK!

            We both jumped and looked behind us. A car with headlights on was telling us to move since it was already a green light.

            I cleared my throat.

            .

            What the hell was that? It's like I wasn't even in control anymore, I was just reacting.

            It's a good thing you didn't kiss him.

            It's a good thing you didn't kiss him.

            Yes, Eunji. Just keep repeating that to yourself until you believe it.

            No. It is true. At least not until you pick one. You can't keep leading the both of them on. You're gonna have to pick, preferably before you lose the both of them.

            I heard Sunggyu clear his throat, bringing me back from my internal debate.

            I looked out the window and saw that he brought me home.

            "Thanks," I whispered, not meeting his gaze.

            "I'll go up with you," Sunggyu offered.

            "You don't have to," I countered. Everything was already awkward; I don't want to add Hoon and unnie into the mix.

            "It's fine, this way you won't have to deal with them alone," he smiled at me as he turned off the engine.

            "Thanks," I said again.

            We entered the elevator, and I braced myself for the uncomfortable silence.

            "This doesn't change anything," he said, giving me a sideward glance.

            "Sorry?" I asked, truly confused.

            "Finding you with him, it doesn't change how I feel about you. And you still owe me a date. I'll come collect when you find out you've passed your exam," he explained.

            I just stared at him until the elevator came to a stop.

            "After you," he gestured in front of him.

            I am utterly speechless.