Chapter 6

The Chaser

 

            I hear something ringing... Huh? My phone?

            "Yoboseyo?" I mumbled sluggishly.

            "Eunji, you're going to the KAIST library to study today, right?" I heard the caller ask.

            "HyeJung-unnie? Why are you calling me when you're just in the next room?" I asked, not processing what was happening.

            "Oh, Hoon and I had an appointment with the doctor today, so we left the house early. But you're gonna be at the KAIST library all day today, right?" She restated her question.

            "Oh yeah. I'll probably go out for lunch, but I'll be studying there all day," I answered, still using my morning voice.

            "Arasso. Good luck with studying! See you tonight," she said before hanging up.

            Okay. I'm up. I'm awake. Time? 8 am. Okay 6 hours of sleep. That should be enough to get me through the day.

            I got up and got ready for the day. After fixing my school bag, I headed to the kitchen for cereal.

            After washing my bowl and glass, I finally headed out.

            Eunji, you will understand Economics today.

            I settled into the corner table at the library and laid out my books, notebooks and yellow pad.

            I started reviewing the chapters, and finally it started to make sense to me.

            Suddenly, someone's books made contact with my table.

            I looked up and my mind went blank.

            "Sunggyu?" I asked, even though I saw his face.

            Huh? What? Why is he here?

            "Annyong," he said brightly as he pulled up a chair.

            "Hi... What are you doing here?" I greeted him back.

            He leaned in, "I'm here to prove that I'm not a distraction."

            I scoffed, "That's kinda hard to prove when you just distracted me right now. And why the hell aren't you wearing a disguise or something? What if someone sees us and thinks we're dating? We're in a corner; we have no way of escape!" I whispered in a panic.

            He smiled, "I don't care if people see us. I'm kinda gonna be glad if we show up on any tabloids pegging us as a couple, that's gonna make everything easier. And, I'm here to teach you Economics. I practically aced that subject during college," he smiled triumphantly.

            "Wait. Hold up. Pause and rewind. You want us to get on the tabloids? Sunggyu, if that happens, people are gonna become curious about who I am, what I do and if I've ever been in jail. Then my parents will definitely find out," I explained quickly.

            He paused for a moment, "Oh... Okay... You have a point. Next time I'll come in disguise. For now, let's focus on Economics."

            Whaaaa---? Next time?

            My brain. My poor brain.

            "Okay, so I brought my old reviewers and tests," he announced, taking out sheets of paper and handing them to me.

            "How did you even know where I was?" I asked, still not accepting the situation.

            "Hyejung-noona told me. I said I left my jacket in your car and she told me you were gonna be at the library studying all day, so this is where I should meet you," he explained.

            I heard myself grunt.

            "Eunji, focus. I need you to ace your test to prove that I'm not a distraction to you," he gave me a smile.

            "Don't think I don't know what you're thinking," I said.

            "I'm not thinking of anything except helping you," he said, trying to act innocently.

            Ugh. I underestimated this guy's perseverance and psychological maturity. It's a win-win situation for him, if I ace the test, it proves that he's not a distraction; and I don't have a choice except ace the test, which means I'm gonna prove that he's not a distraction even though he is.

            He waved his papers in front of me again and I grabbed it this time.

            Lord, why me?

            I looked through his tests and it's now safe to assume that he isn't a liar. All of his test scores were in the line of nines and he got a few perfect scores here and there.

            He started from the beginning of the test coverage, even though I already told me I understood it. And I can't deny that he did have a few good tips and tricks he taught me.

            Finally, we got to taxation, and this is where I started to think he was an Economics genius. He managed to help me understand the lesson in 3 hours, when my prof taught that lesson for a week and I didn't understand jack-.

            "Okay, I think it's time for a break," he announced.

            "B-b-but we're almost done... Can't we just finish it and call it a day?" I asked with my newfound respect for him.

            "Aniyo, we have to eat, otherwise you're not gonna be able to answer the practice tests properly," he said.

            "Practice tests?" I exclaimed a little bit too loudly.

            "Yeah, understanding the concepts is different from applying it. Look at this test," he said, and handed me a piece of paper.

            I looked it over, "Mhmm... Mhmm... Yes... I know some of these words," I mumbled.

            Dafuq did I just read?!

            "See? I'll give you tips on answering these kinds of questions after we get something to eat," he told me.

            "Fine. Let's just eat something quick at the cafeteria, since we can't go roaming around and risk people seeing you," I said as I started packing up my stuff.

            We walked into the cafeteria, and since it was a Saturday afternoon at 3 pm, it was deserted, save for the staff.

            I grabbed a sandwich and bottle of water and headed to the cashier. Sunggyu was trailing after me with a tray full of food. I think I spotted 2 servings of rice, chicken, kimchi, and ... Korean beef? Where the hell did he get that?

            As I was paying for my meal, his hand suddenly shot out with money.

            "This should cover everything, right?" He said as he handed a 100,000 won bill to the cashier.

            "Here, your change," the cashier said, handing him a few bills and coins indifferently.

            If he didn't nudge me to move, I would've been standing there for a while.

            He found us a seat in the corner and we settled ourselves down.

            I raised an eyebrow at him.

            "What?" He asked me, mirroring my raised eyebrow.

            "What do you think you're doing?" I asked.

            "Getting ready to eat my lunch, you?" He turned the question back at me.

            "I--I--I could've paid for my own meal," I stated.

            He sighed, "I know. But I don't consider it a date if the girl pays for her own food."

            It was my turn to sigh, "Sunggyu..."

            "I know. You can't date me because you can't get distracted, but Eunji, I promise, I am not a distraction. I am your support system," he said a little bit too seriously.

            "Okay, I have to admit, that's a good line," I joked, trying to make the mood lighter.

            "Yeah, I know," he said with a confident smile.

            "Let's just take it down a notch okay? Friends. We can be friends, and then if something else happens, we'll figure it out if we get there," I proposed.

            "Okay, so what now?" He asked me.

            "Well, you tell me your life story, since I already told you mine," I said and took a bite out of my sandwich.