Chapter 20

The Chaser

            So I let it ring three times before answering it.

            I’m soft as a marshmallow, sue me.

            “Hey,” I answer tentatively.

            God help me, I’m already feeling guilty about my actions from five minutes ago.

            “It’s not what it looked like,” were the first six words he said during this particular phone conversation.

            “I overreacted,” I admit openly.

            “I was just so worried. I thought your dad came back and you were curled up in some dark alley,” I say somberly.

            “I’m sorry, everything just got so hectic and complicated. I was actually just about to call you after the meeting,” he says, though I’m not really sure if that’s the whole truth.

            “Listen, I’m just genuinely glad you’re okay. I didn’t mean to sound so harsh earlier… It’s just… a text would have been nice. A text that didn’t just say, ‘I’m busy’,” I elaborate.

            “Seems like I dug myself a hole, huh?” He asks.

            “We both kinda did,” I answer.

            “I’d like the best friend title back, if you don’t mind,” he says, his voice getting lighter.

            “The job title does come with a job description,” I explain.

            “I know. ‘Listen, update, curse, and hide-the body when necessary’,” he recites whole-heartedly.

            “So, let’s get to ball rolling, best friend. There’s something I actually wanted to talk to you about,” I confess, feeling my hands starting to break out in a cold sweat.

            “Go for it,” I hear him say without hesitation, which makes me even more nervous.

            “Uhm, I—I’m considering going out with Sunggyu,” I blurt out before I lost my courage.

            The line goes silent, but I know he’s still there.

            “So… comments, suggestions, violent reactions?” I ask quickly.

            Awkward silence ensues as soon as I stop talking…

            So what do I do?

            I keep talking.

            That’s what I do.

            “I’m not seeing him yet. I actually don’t know what to do. I wanted to talk to you before I decided anything because you know, you’re my best friend. And I’ve only ever done big things after I talk to you. Because you’re my person. You’re the person who knows me better than myself sometimes and I trust you. I know I may have put you in an awkward position, and I really think that I’m being selfish because we never really resolved what we were exactly, after I got probation. And suddenly Sunggyu comes along, and… But you’re still my best friend and I don’t want us to be awkward, so what I’m saying is, I’m only going to do it if you’re okay with it,” I manage to ramble without taking a breath.

            He takes a beat before answering me, “Uh… I gotta go back to the meeting, but I’ll support whatever decision you make because that’s what best friends do, right? As your best friend, I know that you already know what you want to do. And as your best friend, I’m also obligated to tell the guy that if he breaks your heart, I’m gonna break everything else of his. Look, I gotta go and I’ll probably be busy for the next week too. I’ll try to text you as often as possible, but I can’t promise anything. I’m okay though, that I can promise.”

            “Arasso. We’re okay, right?” I ask slowly.

            Another beat.

            “Of course,” he says.

            I want to talk to him more, but it sounds like he really is in a hurry.

            “I’ll see you soon?” I ask, but the line goes dead and I don’t know if he actually heard me.

            Well at least I know his dad didn’t come back. And I know been eating well enough from the color of his face and his ability to carry a conversation.

            I feel myself sigh.

            A sigh of relief.

            It feels like the heavy worry I’ve been carrying for a week had lifted.

            The doors burst open to seven unruly boys.

            “Eunji-ah, kumopta~” Woohyun greets me as soon as he sees his Caramel Macchiato on the coffee table.

            They all started taking out their wallets at the same time.

            I wave my hand, “It’s on me. It’s not like you guys ordered caviar. SungJong there’s a hot chocolate there for you since I didn’t know if you took coffee.”

            “Thank you, noona!” SungJong answers with a wide smile.

            Unnie comes in after a few minutes, “Yah! Eunji, I just scored a new client!”

            “Congratulations, Unnie!” I say, genuinely happy for her.

            “It’s for an idol group’s debut stage! It’s not for another three months though, but I’m so excited!” She almost squeals.

            I do quick some quick math.

            She’s five months pregnant right now, and the debut stage is three months away.

            She’ll be eight months pregnant then!

            “Unnie, are you sure you’ll be okay to work then? You’ll be eight months by then,” I ask, concerned.

            “Psh. I’ll be fine. The baby’s due a good two weeks after the debut stage,” she reassures me.

            Okaaay…

            But I’m still telling Hoon.

            Sunggyu catches my eye and I see him smile at me.

            I let myself smile back at him, without anything weighing me down anymore.

            He walks up to me, “We’re still on for dinner, right?”

            Himchan was right, I already knew what I wanted to do.

            I nod and smile wider, “Definitely.”

 


A/N: I think I'm starting to remember Eunji's voice. Am I right or not? Please comment if you think Eunji suddenly got a personality transplant :))