Chapter 23

The Chaser

            I’m still high on adrenaline when Sunggyu pulls into my assigned parking space. 

            “That was a really awesome third date,” I say before stealing a kiss from him.

            His eyes widen when he looks at me, “You really shouldn’t have done that.”

            He searches my eyes, and apparently finds what he’s looking for.

            His hand comes up to cradle my face, and he leans in closer.

            My eyes close on their own volition.

            I feel him hover just inches away from me. I feel his breath, then his kiss.

            It’s soft first, but then I kiss him back, and it becomes deeper – more urgent.

            I feel his hand land on my hip, and my body takes over.

            I flinch.

            He pulls back, but he keeps his forehead on mine.

            I immediately feel guilty. It’s not like he’s the same as—

            “Hey, it’s okay. I shouldn’t have pushed too far,” he says gently, trying to catch his breath.

            I want to tell him that it’s not his fault. I want to tell him that I knew he wasn’t going to take it any further than that. I want to tell him why I flinched, but the words get caught in my throat and silence sits in the car with us.

            “Come on, I’ll bring you to your door. I need to earn back some of the brownie points I lost today,” he jokes as he opens the driver’s door and runs to open mine.

            We ride the elevator in silence. Both of us on opposite walls from each other.

            I realize I've hit another roadblock with Sunggyu.

            Of course he would want that. He's a guy and at some point in time he's going to expect that from me. But I know I'm not going to be able to give that to him. After what happened with TJK, I never felt comfortable in my skin. Sure, it may seem that I was. Acting tough and confident all the time, but that was just a way to deflect the insecurities I have. The only, and I mean only, other person who knows this is Himchan. Because he was there when it happened, he was there when I tried to cope, and he was there when I had to lie to Unnie and Hoon.

            Fake it 'til you make it.

            But I'm not sure I can fake it with Sunggyu or rather if I want to.

            All of these thoughts were running a million miles a minute in my head, and before I knew it Sunggyu was in front of me.

            "Hey, what's going on up there?" He asks, as he taps my forehead.

            I try to avoid his gaze, but his soft voice traps me.

            "Eunji, if you're worried about what happened in the car, don't be. I'm sorry I pushed too far, but I would never force you to do something you weren't comfortable with. I shouldn't have done what I did, but I was too caught up in the moment. I'm kinda new to this too, so bear with me," he smiles.

            His words manage to pacify me, though I don't know for how long. Because I do know that we're going to have to revisit this sometime in the future.

            The elevator doors open to my floor, and he takes my hand in his, slowly drawing circles with his thumb on the back of my hand.

            We stop in front of my door and he checks his watch, "How many brownie points do you think I'll earn for bringing you home before eleven?"

            "Probably two, four if they think I came home with my virtue. They’re probably watching us through the camera," I manage to make a joke.

            He looks for the camera and then shifts me so we're both facing it.

            “Safe and sound,” he says, as if talking to Hoon.

            “You think I have enough brownie points to score another date?” he asks me indirectly.

            “Probably, Unnie has taken a real liking to you for some reason,” I smile, giving him my indirect answer to his indirect question.

            “How about this Wednesday? Too soon?” He asks me seriously this time.

            “I’ve got nothing but time, since I am on Summer Break,” I answer.

            “See you in four days,” I hear him whisper.

            Suddenly the intercom comes alive with Unnie’s voice, “Just kiss her already!”

            Sunggyu and I just smile at each other and shake our heads.

            “Text me when you get home?” I ask.

            He nods, “I’ll call.”

            “Night,” I say, angling myself to enter the passcode of the door.

            He replies by kissing me on the forehead.

            And I all but stumble on my own damn foot entering the apartment with a ridiculous grin on my face.

 


A/N: I know, I know... It's hella short, but I will make it up to you... SOON-ish :3