Chapter 8

The Chaser

 

Sorry it took a while. But it's here now :D

 


 

            My phone… is ringing… before noon… for the second consecutive day.

            Damn it. Are people incapable of sleeping in on a Sunday?

            Adam, why can’t all Sundays be as lazy and as perfect as your “Sunday Morning”?

            I mean, I don’t need a guy in my bed, but you know? The kind of Sunday morning where no one interrupts you, that’s what I want.

            “Eunji-yah! Answer your damn phone! Some of us are trying to sleep here!” Hoon shouted through the wall---

            Whaaa---?

            Then… who’s calling me?

            Open eyes. OPEN.

            Fine, stay closed then. See if I care.

            Now arm, get my phone. I said, GET MY PHONE, DAMN IT!

            My arm awkwardly jerked forward and searched for my phone, but as soon as it felt the cold metal that was my phone, the ringing stopped.

            YES. SILENCE. FINALLY.

            -RIIING-

            Mother-

            “Yoboseyo?” I finally answered, putting all the venom into that word.

            “Eunji-ah,” the caller said in a sing-song voice.

            Eunji-ah? Who the hell is this? I finally forced my eyes open to check the caller ID: GYU-OPPA<3

            “Yah! How did your name get programmed into my phone?” I asked, the feeling of sleep suddenly leaving me.

            “And why the hell does it say ‘GYU-OPPA’ with a heart? A friggen’ heart? Really? I am not the type of girl who does that. Hell, I didn’t even do that in high school!” I continued, not giving him a chance to say anything.

            “How did you program your name into my phone?” I asked with a calmer voice, remembering unnie and Hoon were in the next room.

            “You done being angry?” He asked me, and I swear I could hear him smirk.

            “Not by a long-shot, punk. Now answer the question,” I ordered him, as I got off my bed and headed to the kitchen for my milk and cereal.

            “Well, last night, while you were answering my practice tests, you kind of fell asleep,” he started.

            “Mmmhmm,” I replied.

            Okay, I remember falling asleep at the library last night… and then when I woke up, we decided that I studied enough and it was time to go home—the bastard did have small shifty eyes then. Aish, did he look at the albums???

            “I tried to wake you up, I did. But your phone was just staring at me, and I got curious how you named me on your phone… So, I sent you a text and then I saw you hadn’t saved my number—which hurt me, by the way. So I saved you the trouble and programmed it myself.

            Damn, this guy can really talk up a storm. I’m almost finished with my cereal.

            “So, that’s all you did with my phone? You didn’t scan through my pictures, videos, messages?” I asked him.

            “God, no,” he answered almost immediately.

            Good.

            “I would never snoop on you, Eunji-ah,” he said in a softer voice.

            “Fine. I believe you. Now, off to your second offense. Why the hell did you wake me up before noon, on a Sunday?” I said, imagining flipping him the finger if he were in front of me.

            “Yeah, about that. Since I am your tutor for you exam tomorrow, I’m still responsible for your exam prep today,” he said slowly, trying to prompt a reaction from me.

            I heaved a heavy sigh, “I thought studying the day before an exam was useless…”

            I need rest, please… I’ve been waking up before noon for the past two days… HELP

            “But we’re not going to study, exam prep isn’t all about studying,” he told me.

            “You’re planning something, I can feel it,” I told him bluntly.

            “Maybe,” he said, and I could hear his smile.

            “If I say no and hang up, you’ll just keep calling, won’t you?” I asked him.

            “Yup,” he answered a little too brightly.

            “And if I turn off my phone, you’re just going to find another way of annoying me, aren’t you?” I asked him, trying to sound irritated, but a smile cracking through my façade.

            “Yup, I’ll probably call HyeJung-noona, and bug her,” he answered me.

            “Arasso, arasso. When and where am I going?” I asked, with a full-blown smile on my face now.

            “When: now. Where: Coffee Smith at Gangnam, you know it?” He asked.

            “God, Sunggyu, I’m not totally helpless, except in Economics, although your powers of tutoring did seem to beat out my helplessness in Econ last night,” I joked with him.

            He gasped, “Eunji, was that a thank you?”

            I rolled my eyes, “Why? You don’t want it? ‘Cause I’m not beneath taking it back,” I teased.

            “Nope, I’ll take it! I’m hanging up now, so you can get ready and come here faster.”

            “Arasso,” I replied and hung up.

            Before I could even chuck my bowl and spoon into the dishwasher, my phone beeped.

            From: GYU-OPPA<3

                        Ppaaaaalliiiiiiiii

            I rolled my eyes.

            I can’t believe this guy’s supposed to be older than me.

            I took a quick shower and grabbed whatever clothing I got my hands on first; which turned out to be a black tank top, white shorts and gray hoodie.

            My phone beeped again.

            From: GYU-OPPA<3

                        Where are youuuu?? @____@

            Gah. Hold your horses. It’s only been 15 minutes since you called.

            I quickly tied my hair into a bun and put on my black converse.

            Wallet. Check.

            Phone. Check

            Keys. Check.

            Okay, everything’s in my bag.

            I quickly knocked on Hoon and unnie’s door and half-shouted, “Going out. Be back for dinner.”